Do 2032 white LED keychain lights exist?

mrme

Enlightened
I have a lot of 2032 batteries, but my recent attempts to procure 2016 have only got me dead cells. If there were any WHITE LED keychain lights that used what I had, it would make my life a lot nicer.

Oh, I know red LED ligts use the 2032 and I know a 2032 will work in a white LED light, but neither will provide enough light for me. I really need 2 cells in a white LED keychain light.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you're lucky enough to find a 5mm white LED with a low Vf, then a 2032 is a better power source than a pair of 2016s because it has more than 1.5x the mAh capacity.

paulr

Flashaholic
Try using one of the 100 mA high brightness led's from www.lsdiodes.com or wherever. I bet they'd pull somewhat more current from a 2032 than a normal led would, and thus produce more light.

What's been the problem with 2016's? digikey.com has them for around 40 cents each in quantity. Or you could buy the Countycomm $1.00 white lights each of which has a pair of 2016's inside.

My feeling is if you're using coin lights enough to care about the batteries, maybe you reallywant an AAA-powered light.

DrPhoton

Newly Enlightened
I just tried a fresh 2032 in my White Inova microlight. Light output compared to two fresh 2016's in the same light is about 50 to 60% less with the 2032. Not enough photons for much of anything.
Doc Photon

paulr

Flashaholic
Try going into a completely dark room with that 2032+Inova and waiting a minute or two to get dark adapted, before turning the light on. You'll find those photons to be plenty for just finding your way around the room without bumping things.

paulr

Flashaholic
Addendum to mrme: you might check out the Princeton Tec Scout, a nice ultralightweight headlamp that uses four 2032's.

mrme

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Addendum to mrme: you might check out the Princeton Tec Scout, a nice ultralightweight headlamp that uses four 2032's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Scout. That is why I bought a bunch of 2032's. I just eneded up buying 100.

The 2 lots of 2016 I have bought have both been DOA. So I have been paying Wal-Mart prices to keep my Inova keychain light bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I like the idea of a low Vf LED. I wonder how an LS would fit? It wouldn't need a heatsink at <100 ma.

Oh, and 40 cents from Digikey is good to remember. But unless I place an order for something else, the economics don't work out.

paulr

Flashaholic
An LS won't fit without a bunch of hacking. You need a 5mm led. However you should be able to get reasonable brightness from one.

If you're using your keychain enough that the cost of 2016's is an issue, the light you really want is an Arc AAA. Those have gotten hard to find, but the Peak Matterhorn series and the Gerber/CMG Sonic are useable substitutes.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another possibility:
(If you can convince a supplier to sell to you in small quantity).

I use a single 3.6V type 2032 Li-Ion in one of my white Photons. It's about 85% as bright as the 2 x 2016 configuration.
-You will also have to figure a way to recharge that 40mAh battery though.

But like paulr says, if you're concerned with runtime and cost, you're probably better off with a AAA mini-light like Arc or Peak.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
vcal,

I asked Adam (slavin4U.com) a few months ago if he would sell the LiIon 2032s again. He said he would, but it would be a couple months. Nothing's appeared on his website yet, though. I really do want to get my hands on some of those (atleast 20).

As far as 2032 primaries are concerned, I've been using those in my yellow and cyan freedoms. Plenty of light under even moderately dark conditions. White light output is also decent if it's a little more dark. Runtime in all cases is respectable.