streamlight tasklight 2L ?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't read much about these lately- is anyone using them? The review of the light looks good. The light appears to have good features as well as a lot of throw for a 2x123 light, in fact it appears to easily beat most other 2x123's. I'm thinking about putting one at the top of my list. Does anybody have any new comments now that this has been out for awhile? Has anybody compared the output side by side with a Pelican M6 LED, Streamlight TL-2LED or Inova T3/XO3?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bjn, the 2L is a Tasklight, and as it is it does not have very good throw on the incan bulb. Not that its no good, its decent enough for most jobs, just not comparable to other better throwers, esp those you mentioned. Apart from that, its an absolutely great light and I have no complains whatsoever with mine! You can't go wrong with one of these... esp as an emergency light.

Wrangler

Enlightened
Hi bjn70,
do you mean the 2L LED 3W Lux Task-Light?
This one`s a great light with high/low settings. Good thrower (a little less than T3) on high (~80 lms) and very good walking- and all around light on low (~20 lms).

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... I should be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif!! Here I am confusing myself between the Tasklight and the Twintask. My humble apologies... Dumb oversight and mistake on my part./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif That'll teach me to read before I leap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

loopy

Newly Enlightened
The 2L 3W Luxeon is a great light, I took it on a night hike recently and both modes worked great, the low has enough light to walk by and the high was great for spoting noises off in the distance. Battery change is also very easily done in the dark by feel.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif >>> Great Light !!! <<< /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Free

Enlightened
I have compared it to the lights you mention above, and it easily out shines all of them. It is the brightest single 3w light in my collection.

I have only one complaint, and that is the two stage switch. I wish there was another way to do the high low option selection, because I often find that I use the light on high, and then absentmindedly click to turn it off, and stick it in my pocket, or face down on a surface,only to find out later that I left it on low /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

luxlover

Banned
Free,
I made that observation too, but it didn't sink in how dangerous it could be to battery life. I am going to write an email to Streamlight, and let them know that more work has to be done on this light's switch. It is not "there" yet.....

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that every light with multiple output levels has this similar problem. I read about someone who installed a tailcap clickie, that way they could use the original switch for output mode selector then use the tailcap for on/off.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the Streamlight 2L TaskLight to replace my TwinTask. I'm interested in finding a clickie tailcap if one is made that works with this model. Does anyone have any advise?

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
I bought myself one for Xmas and love it!

Super bright with great throw on high, still plenty bright on low. I have no problem with the switch, although the clicky rear option sounds good too.

- ThomasH

Steve C

Enlightened
One wonders if the clickie tail caps for the SL "tactical" lights will fit; and can they be purchased as a spare part?

Wait; those are momentary switches, not clickies, right?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Tasklight today, and after playing with it I've decided there isn't a need for an additional tailcap clickie. Unlike the Twintask's 4 position switch which left me fumbling with the button, this 3 position switch makes sense. I know it will always come on full, followed by low and off. I never liked having two off positions which is what caused confusion.

The simple field test I gave the Tasklight 2L (TL) was against the Twintask 2L (TT) and Streamlight Scorpion. First of all, the throw that was lacking in the TT isn't a problem with the TL. It rivals the Scorpion's throw except that the Scorpion (with a yellowish tint) has a little better color resolution. The TL's low setting still has decent throw and spill and should be fine for seeing what's around your immediate area. I would say the throw on high is good to make this model a duty light, which is what I tried using the Twintask for until I concluded the output wasn't sufficient and the switch was a nuisance. Also improved is a matte black finish over the gloss black of the Twintask. I had to get a new Ripoffs CO-181 case as the TL is about an inch longer then the TT, but aside from that the size difference isn't going to be a problem for me.

I almost purchased the Inova T3 to replace my TT; and I would have if only it had a low power setting. For me this TL is the closest thing to what I want that's currently available. After 10+ years of using rechargables (Streamlight SL20, Stinger, PolyStinger), I've decided to go with cheap-if-ordered-in-bulk 123 lithium batteries. I can carry spares in the field and never have to deal with recharging or the battery going flat after sitting for a month.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my 2L and I hit the luxeon lottery. Out of all the 3 watt luxeons I have, this has the whitest light. I have around 20 various 3 watt luxeons I thought the QIII's beam was white but the 2L beam is way whiter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif