SF Z32 Bezel--What a disapointment

Theo

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm disappointed.

I was eagerly awaiting the final piece for my "frankenstein", the Z32 shock isolated bezel. My "creation" started as a 6P, I added the extension for a 3rd cell, the clicky tailcap, and the P91 lamp.

I got the bezel today, and it seems to be an afterthought by SF. The anodizing is not the deep black of everything else; it looks like it was put on with a sharpie marker. And the lens is plastic for Pete's sake. Not the Pyrex of everything else. I guess you get what you pay for; it was only $23.

Now, I am an A#1 Surefire whore, and I will remain one for sure. But this Z32 thing is a POS.

I'll either return it or put it up on B\S\T.

Skyline

Enlightened
Yep, you shoulda asked us about the Z32. I got one as well and it's not the coolest bit of kit that SF ever made. I recommend getting the M2 shock isolated bezel in black instead.

Even though it's ugly, the Z32 does work though. I have my Z32 on a 6P in my glove box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part # for BLACK M2 bezel????????

Theo,
I've had a Z32 bezel on my 6Z for at least 5 years now. I agree, what a disappointment. At the time I bought it the pyrex wasn't used on bezels so that was never an issue. The color was OK but my complaint was the rubber boot inside that isolates the bulb. It never really held the bulb firmly so the light would flicker. Through a combination of stretching out the rubber boot and elongating the tailcap spring I was able to get it to seat firmly.
I still use it but have put an M2 bezel on my other 6Z. The color is HA. Black would be much better.

What is the part # for the M2 bezel in black? I would like to get one.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: Part # for BLACK M2 bezel????????

One of the reasons why the Z32 remains the same is because there are many thousands in service all around the World and have been in service for many, many years. The Lexan lens is still used, I guess because it has always been used and SureFire want to continue to supply replacement parts. The advantage of Lexan is that the Z32's lens can be replaced. This is an issue because many of the WeaponLight Forends position the Z32 very close of the end of the barrel so they get covered in crud and the surface gets ruined over time. I guess SureFire have very good reasons for not evolving the Z32 to feature a Pyrex lens.

NotRegulated,
It doesn't seem like the Z32 you have is functioning correctly.

Al

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for the part number and replies. From your response Size15's I may have to drop $25 and try it again. I personnally don't mind the lexan lens. The P60 in it should not really be a problem.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Well if you don't think it's functioning you could arrange to send it back to SureFire fo repair or replacement...

Al

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened
I actually like the Z32. I have several and have only had a problem w/one where the internal "foam" didn't hold the lamp w/enough pressure to provide reliable operation. The rest are quite good for what they're designed for. The light weight and lexan lens is actually a plus for its original intended purpose (weapon light). It would be nicer if they had HA black finish instead of "soft" black but thats just an aesthetic issue not a functional one.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
isn't the internals of the Z32 more or less identical in dimensions to the M2 bezel? i was always under the impression that the M2 bezel was an upgraded version of the Z32. i have a Z32 on my Z2, and it works fine. i always thought the Z32 was more aesthetically pleasing than the M2 bezel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Latest posts