Why am I not hungry?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last few months I've been trying to lose some weight, and I've been trying to limit myself to 2500 calories per day...and it's been hard for me. The last 4 days I haven't been very hungry at all, today I skipped lunch without even thinking about it and had a small dinner. I've only been eating 2000 calories or less the last 4 days. For some reason I'm just not hungry. I feel totally fine, not sick at all. Anybody have any ideas why? Should I go see a doctor? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, 1200 calories is definately not "the norm". Maybe for a small woman trying to lose alot of weight. I am a large male. Regardless of what the norm is, just last week I was still hungry with 2500 calories. Now I'm easily full with less than 2000. Something's up...

Frangible

Enlightened
Depends what kind of calories they are. Eat 1000 calories of junk food, you'll still be hungry. Eat 1000 calories of oatmeal, you'll explode.

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Frangible said:
Depends what kind of calories they are. Eat 1000 calories of junk food, you'll still be hungry. Eat 1000 calories of oatmeal, you'll explode.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key right here. It's the kinds of foods you're eating. Carbs make you hungry as they stimulate (cause the production of) insulin in your stomach (system) which makes you hungry. Anyway... stick to lower carb foods... NOT no carb... just low carb. And make sure that if you are allowing yourself a certain number of calories a day (I'm assuming that you arrived at a certain number through reasearch of some kind and determined that number is what your body needs to survive but not enough to cause weight gain), that you actually EAT those calories! Eating fewer calories can sometimes cause a reverse effect and not only will you not lose weight, you just might gain. If at the end of the day, you find that you have not eaten all of your daily alloted calories, chow some oreos... then go to bed before the insulin kicks in and you get hungry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

BTW... oatmeal really is a great food for dieting. I actually do have a bowl of the good old fashioned stuff every night... I love the stuff!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
The same thing happened to me. My rough opinion is that through less use, the stomach slows down acid production and that allows the food in there to last longer.

This is just a guess though, but I did notice an immediate decrease in heartburn.

Don't be too suspicious; be glad about this new development.

RussH

Enlightened
Protein takes relatively more energy to digest. If you're eating beans or fish or other high protein foods like oatmeal they not only stay in your system longer but burn up more fat while digesting. If you avoid carbs and fat (eat the tuna in water) then your body HAS to burn fat to digest it. And after a couple of weeks, your stomach will 'shrink' as they say. You need some carbs and fat tho, after all, your brain is mostly fat....maybe that explains why most atheletes are so articulate....

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
My diet hasn't changed at all, just got smaller. Yesterday, for example, I had an egg and some sausage for breakfast, and a few pieces of pizza for dinner. That's it, the whole day. Normally I would have that, plus lunch, plus quite a few snacks throughout the day. I know my stomach should be getting a little smaller...but I didn't think it just deflates overnight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Oh well, I guess I'll just lose even more weight now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your stomach is shrinking, among other things. I'm a big guy too (I'm 6'1" and weighed 245 lbs this summer), and went on a diet this past fall. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months, I was on a mostly liquid diet (Slim-Fast, fruit juice, and watered down chicken soup), and my average caloric intake for about 6 days of the week was only 1200-1500 calories. I would sometimes cheat once a week, but even then I didn't eat a much as I used to because I got full a lot quicker.

When I was in my late teens/early 20's, I worked in a large restaurant, and had a very high metabolism, I would consume 4000-5000 calories a day and not gain weight. That was 15 years ago though, and my metabolism has slowed down a lot since. On my liquid diet though, I was eating small "meals" 6-7 times a day, and after a month or so of that, my metabolism was noticeably quicker.

-Keith