Anyone seen "Phantom of the Opera" Movie?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Re: Anyone seen \"Phantom of the Opera\" Movie?

Argh!
After browsing abit I see "Now Playing in select cities" All I saw before was 'Opens 12/22".
Opens 1/21/2005.
As I said ARGH!
I don't think I can justify a trip to 'The Cities" for a movie, Maybe my wife can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MrMimizu

Enlightened

I was at the theatre to watch Ocean's Twelve and before the movie they played the new POTO song.
Hands down the worst redition of it I've ever heard. Even the Techno version had better singing and I dont' remember that to be too awesome either.

iseethelight

Newly Enlightened

Considering how it was easily the worst theatrical show I have ever seen (even among Andrew Lloyd Weber's works), I would have to hope the movie version couldn't be any worse...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will probably end up seeing it eventually /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But The Onion had a pretty fun "news" article about it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scrappy

Enlightened

Amazing how opinions differ. It was the single best theatrical performance I have ever seen. I saw it 5 times on broadway and twice in London. I hope the movie is good. Too bad Michael Crawford didn't play Phantom.

Rich

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really enjoy the music and saw it twice on Broadway, and I really liked the movie. It wasn't perfect but it stayed very true in its musical rendition and did not add much movie plot line embroidery to the staged version. Basically, it was the stage show done up up with better sets and settings and a few CGI special effects.

The sets and costumes were very impressive, Raoul was very good and they had a lovely Christine. My 22 year old daughter said that the Phantom was a little too good looking, as in "just put the mask back on him and he'd have no trouble getting one of the ballerinas..."

Anyway, tastes will vary, but I really did like it.

Rudi

Enlightened

Anyone who likes the story: don't miss the old versions, especially the one with Claude Raines in the forties, and the silent version with Lon Chaney in the twenties, both excellent.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

My wife and I have seen it four times in the last couple of weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Needless to say, we enjoyed the movie...and enjoyed the movie...and enjoyed the movie...and enjoyed the movie.

AND...

We`re going to enjoy it yet again this weekend!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kryosphinx

Enlightened

My friend saw it and said it was amazing. Some of them even cried. huh. they brought the soundtrack to school, it was pretty good. I like it.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I seen the London musical twice (first time was when Michael Crawford & Sarah Brightman were singing)
I love the musical - without the doubt my favourite.

I've seen the movie twice. First time the sound system in the cinema was dreadful (I wrote to the cinema head office to complain and they sent me a pair of replacement tickets). So I saw it again on a better screen (with working base speakers!).

Overall, I thought it was great, but let down by leads who could not compete with Crawford & Brightman quite frankly.
But Emmy Rossum sang really well in places... There were a couple of times when I had shiver down my spine - moments of magic which really impressed me.
The sets and cinematography were perhaps the best thing about the transfer to film. They were stunning - lush and detailed.

I think it is well worth seeing and I'll likely buy the DVD, but, it makes me want to see the stage show again soon.

Al

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
I seen the London musical twice (first time was when Michael Crawford & Sarah Brightman were singing)
I love the musical - without the doubt my favourite.

Overall, I thought it was great, but let down by leads who could not compete with Crawford & Brightman quite frankly.
But Emmy Rossum sang really well in places... There were a couple of times when I had shiver down my spine - moments of magic which really impressed me.
The sets and cinematography were perhaps the best thing about the transfer to film. They were stunning - lush and detailed.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,
It's good to see another Brightman fan on the forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif I've meet Sarah several times and I find her very sweet and charming she still sends shivers down my spine like no other /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Later
Kelly

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Its been showing at the cinemas here for a few weeks already... Watched it the other day, and it was pretty good. I enjoyed it very much. But having seen the Australian cast while I was in Melbourne many years ago, I'd say nothing beats watching it in the theaters, esp with all the props and all. For those who've seen the play, I'm sure you'd be making comparisons when you watch the movie... I know did!! Overall, it was an enjoyable watch...