Nuwai Q-III observable flicker?

NYLYTE

Newly Enlightened
I am in receipt of two Nuwai Q-III lights and I am not sure that I can believe my eyes.

I think I am seeing a high speed flicker from the boost converter. This is not necessarily bad. If I wave the beam across a wall I can make out dark bands indicating that that the LED is being pulsed. It is very noticeable when compared simultaneously to a directly driven LED. I feel/see it most if I swirl the beam in a tight circle, banding is not evident this way, but there is a noticeable difference in comparison to a directly driven LED.

I do realize that the light runs off of a single CR123 and thereby must use a boost circuit to acheive the necessary Vf. I just never expected the thing to look so 'strobey'.

Anyone else here have any input?

Thanks!

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Are you running on a depleted battery?
I have gotten slight flicker just when turning it on on nearly empty (~2.2V) cells, but after the that it's still steady.
No flicker at all at any time on either one of my Q-3's on good batts.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I have never experienced any flicker on my Q-III, except when the battery dies.

The light runs at full strength, flickers (strobes) for about a second, then dies.

NYLYTE

Newly Enlightened
I cut open the second package (much better color), and double checked my initial impression.

I invite you to swirl the hotspot in a tight circle and observe what I might term slurring. This effect is far less pronounced on a directly driven light.

Overall I think the Q-III rocks.

I bought two, one has a nasty pissy yellow green tint to it, and the other is considerably bluer and whiter looking.

I see the same strobey slurring in both lights, even having swapped the stock Panasonic batteries.

The directly driven LEDs I have don't seem to exhibit this behavior.

I would love to know the actual switching rate on the boost converter. Guessing, I am imagining somewhere in the neighborhood of 32 cycles per second.

Wag your fingers in front of the TV and compare...

I am certain these lights are strobing on some level.

Soundchaser

Newly Enlightened
Maybe your eyes have a super fast refresh rate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, though, I haven't noticed anything like that with mine.

wintermute

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Soundchaser said:
Maybe your eyes have a super fast refresh rate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That was great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NYLYTE said:
I invite you to swirl the hotspot in a tight circle and observe what I might term slurring. This effect is far less pronounced on a directly driven light.

I am certain these lights are strobing on some level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps your lights exhibit this behavior, but my Q-III does not.

There's no flicker, no flash, no strobe effect... just pure, white, constant light.