E1E??

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in a mighty fine mood yesterday and rolled into my local store. As I passed the showcase of Surefires. ( My dad found that some people had taken e2es and put them into G2 boxes and payed 29 dollars for an E2e! From then on the Surefires are behind a glass window)

TO get back on topic..... I saw the famous e1e. I asked the price and found that it was 61.95! Now I have a problem. I have the money, should i get it? I am getting the e2e for christmas.

-tom

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, if you want a small light that can be carried in a keychain. The E1e is wonderful both as-is and for what it can become. The E2e is nice, but would, at least in my book, qualify as a secondary light, carried in my right pocket, as opposed to the E1e sitting on my keyring with the SAK. My E2e's (in both SG and HA3) fill that role.

The E1e is perfect for all those occasions where you need it to be tiny. And on top of that, it can become so much more - add the KL1 head to realize its potential, or get Chop to bore it out for SO17XA and Aleph Light Engine for some serious power, or add the KL4 head to yield the "TW4" combo. When driven on a single R123, the TW4 operates IN REGULATION, delivering the full power of a L4 light in a 3.5" package. It doesn't get any better than the TW4, really.

I know some will disagree and I respect that entirely, but my E1e has been the light that has survived the test of time - got it almost a year ago (wow, has it been that short?), it has seen lots of other Surefires come and go, but it is still the light that somehow, is ALWAYS on me.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
How... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif HOw.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif How can I do that? I will get the e1e and with a kl4 or kl1 that would be cool! Now... where do I get these from? I could order it through the local store..
-tom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could. Or you could always drop 'jcciv' a PM. He'll hook you up with whatever you need.

Which do you prefer, a 65 lumen flood wall-of-light, or a beam that you can really use to reach out and touch something? That'll determine whether you use the KL4 or the 4th-generation KL1.

My setup is a 25 lumen flood, but that's with the 3rd-generation KL1, which can only be found on B/S/T nowadays since Surefire pulled it from production. This is EXACTLY the same beam as your L1 LumaMax on high since both of these used NX05 optics.

e1e-kl1-2.jpg

A couple of changes since the pic was taken - an upgrade to a Z57 clickie tailcap, and a McGizmo 25mm clip. Get the clip and a split ring, it works great.

slick228

Newly Enlightened
Cornkid,

I wouldn't purchase an entire E1e. Instead, I would piece together a SureFire E1e body, Z57 clickie tail cap, and a 4th generation, KL1 bezel. Once you try this set-up, you won't be using your stock E1e lamp assembly or bezel.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
kevin said it all! I too love my E1e! It has been my EDC since i got it 2mth's ago. i have an E2d and love it too, but the size, brightness and general useability (new word /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif)of the E1e is incredible! it will work in most applicaton's with in reason, and still ia not too much light
for tasks indoor's. has great throw for what it is, more focused narrower beam then the E2e/d.(there is still plenty of spill for closer tasks. the best all around incan in door's and out for me. and of course takes led head's well,
so you have a lot of options. I EDC it in stock form, and it's perfect for what it is. get one, you won't regret it.VDG

STEVENT6

Enlightened
Re: E1E??.RE...KevinL

Kevin L said:

Which do you prefer, a 65 lumen flood wall-of-light, or a beam that you can really use to reach out and touch something? That'll determine whether you use the KL4 or the 4th-generation KL1.

My setup is a 25 lumen flood, but that's with the 3rd-generation KL1

Kevin,

What is the difference between the 3rd or 4th generation head? Does that mean the KL4 will produce a 65 lumen flood the 3rd generation KL1 a 25 limen flood. Do you know how the 4th generation head differs? Do you know what the runtimes are with R123 and cr 123?

I've also been wanting to buy one with the KL1 head. I didn't know they already had a 4th generation head out.

Thanks,

Steven

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL1 heads

I have the new (4th Gen) KL1 head and the 'old" KL1 head shown above in KevinL's post. The new head really throws the light out similiar to an E2e. The difference being the E2e will run for 90 minutes dimming over time to the new KL1 on 2 123's running for almost 4 hours.
I think the ideal set up for me after experimenting around is the new KL1 on an E1e. It is small enough to fit in your pants pocket and powerful enough as well. it runs for over an hour regulated. In very pitch black environments/Indoors only I prefer the old KL1 on an E1e body with a McGizmo Mc2Es tailcap at 15ohms. The low setting is more than enough for reading or navigating.
I find that using my KL4 head on my E1e only works well with a rechargable 3.7 v R123 battery. I hear that this setup gives about 30 minutes of runtime. When I use a regular lithium surefire 123 battery the light is dim.

STEVENT6

Enlightened
Re: KL1 heads RE ..Not Rwgulated

Thanks for your response.

So the 4 th generation is brighter w/ more throw, Are the 4th generation KL1 lamps marked differently, and readily identifiable. The reason I ask is because I don't want to get an older version if I specifically order a 4th generation. A local dealer who would give me a good price don't have a clue.

Thanks,

Steven

slick228

Newly Enlightened

Steven,

The new KL1 bezel resembles the KL4. Fellow member ResQTech has a few factory sealed SureFire 4th generation KL1 bezels available for $51 shipped. Please click on the following link:

LINK

*Please note that I am in no ways affiliated with the seller.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cornkid said:
Ok. I will get the e1e (62$) and look into a kl1 later.

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i did, and as good as the KL-1 is, i still EDC the E1e stock, i love this light. VDG

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got it. It has nice throw and looks pretty cool. I will look into the kl1 now.

-tom

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cornkid said:
Just got it. It has nice throw and looks pretty cool. I will look into the kl1 now.

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the throw is what surprized me too. I knew the E2d would out trhow it, but not by that much considering being so small and half the voltage. In fact i just put in a new 123 in mine to use for the holiday weekend, and bam bright, and beamy. love it. VDG

BTW merry christmas everyone on CPF.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was checking out a Winelight in an outdoors setting the other day, and it delivers surprisingly good performance with the MN02 (25 lumen) lamp. Good solid throw for a light of its size, bright and very useable hotspot - great for walking. Brings out all the green in the vegetation.

When I had my E1e with MN01 (15 lumen) lamp, it was amazingly bright indoors. Outdoors and in darker corners, perhaps not so good. I'm thinking that perhaps we have all become spoiled by awesomely powerful lamps that sometimes we overlook the lower-powered but effective lamps.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

Right. I got an e2e and it blows my e1e out of the water. I still like it though and carry it everywhere... It is my new EDC:}