T3 85 lum vs. sf L4 65 lum and G2 65 lum

yetiyeti

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys!
I saw on TAd gear stated that T3 has 85 lumen, so is it in reality brighter and more powerful than sf L4 - estimated at 65 lum? How does the L4 compare to G2 (also 65 lumen)- what are the differences- colour surely, but what about the light output and throw?
oh yeah how is the 45 lum T2 I read it lasts for 5 hours thats like a mini mag AA
thanks

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's somewhat comapring apples to oranges: The L4 is a flood, the T3 is designed for throw. According to Quickbeam's Output vs Throw chart, the T3 has nearly twice the throw of the L4. However, the overall output of the L4 is HIGHER than that of the T3. Surefire's value of 65 lumens is too low for sure; I believe the genral consensus here is that the "85 lumens" for the T3 are an exaggeration.

EDIT: According to lumileds datasheet, a LuxIII (as used in the T3) has a total flux of 80 lumens. Since the TIROS optics of the T3 has an efficiency of 90% (Inovas number), the output should be around 72 lumens. I don't know where Inova gets the 85 number from (I doubt that overdriving will give that much more light).

mahoney

Enlightened
Using the highly scientific "ceiling bounce" test, my L4 lights up the room significantly more brightly than my T3. The T3 throws much farther. These lights are more of a complement to each other than in competition. The L4 is great for anything from close up out to about 50' or so. The beam of the T3 isn't big enough to be usefull until 20' out or so IMO.

The L4 has more of an even flood than the G2, but the G2 will throw farther because of the brighter hotspot. Brightness here might be a wash, it depends on the Luxeon lottery and how fresh the batteries in the G2 are. The L4 will stay just as bright for the life of the batteries and it's smaller than the G2.

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Surefire grossly understates the lumen ouput of their LED flashligts. The L4 utilizes a 5 WATT LED which has a general spec. of 120 lumens - Whereas, a good 3 Watter has a spec of 80 lumens.

totat lumens has nothing to do with throw or flood - it is a total light output measurement.

The fact that the L4 draws approximately 1.5 amps of current with 6 volts applied tells me that the Surefire is not underdriven - that, or their converter is incredibly inefficient.

About 9 months ago, ARC flashlight performed a lumen output test in an integrating sphere comparing a number of lights. The L4 he was testing came in aroung 90 lumens.

I don't know why Surefire understates this - perhaps they are trying to make a slow transition into LED's and do not what to hurt the market for thier Incan's. Or they are just incredibly conservative.