Anybody used this universal li-ion charger?

john_bud

Newly Enlightened
Universal Charger

Hi!

Has anybody used this charger? It sounds like it has the smarts to cut off the voltage and not overcharge. And at $25 it is certainly priced well.

Pro's, Con's, Alternatives?

Thanks
jb

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
it looks nice.. only problem i see is the 1/2A charge rate.. it's clearly designed for big packs, not the likes of a single AA or especially AAA.. it would be good to measure the charge rate and see if it slows down as it should when it gets over 4.1V. If you are a DIYer and can solder.. get a LT4054 and make your own charger for about $5... there are complete deigns on the batteries included forum... my last one (other than the 10mm circle) is a complete charger 1/2 the size of a postatge stamp.. good for up to 600mA.. down to 75.. just depends on the program resistor.

-awr

john_bud

Newly Enlightened
Andrew,

Is it REALLY only $5 for the chip, resistors, LED's and board to mount it on? I can see if someone has most of the stuff already or get's it in bulk, but buying onesies is expensive! Heck, shipping is more than $5 for most anything no matter how small or light.

At least, that's what I was thinking. If you can direct me to where I can get the goods to build a charger for $5, I'll do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!
JB

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like someone needs to do a run of boards and sell this stuff as a kit (assembly required). Hint Hint... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mark

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello John Bud,

My first impression of the universal LiIon charger is that it is s l o w.

I checked the charge rate and it starts out at just under 0.4 A and as the voltage in the cell increases, it goes down.

I have some LG 18650 2.4 Ah cells that I have been checking. It takes about 12 hours to bring those cells to full charge.

Open circuit voltage is 4.208 volts. The green light comes on at 4.1 volts and the charge rate at 4.1 volts drops done to 0.010 A. I believe it will completely shut off, but I have been having too much fun using my cells to leave on one there for 24 hours to check that out.

The advantage of this charger (over Andrew's) is the capability to charge multiple cell packs. I am sure that Andrew could add that feature to his "kit," but it may involve a little more cost. This advantage is not significant if your requirements are only for single cell applications.

The down side of this charger is that you have to be smart enough to select the proper terminating voltage. If you charge a single cell on the 4 cell charge rate, you could experience "rapid venting - with flame." OK, probably not, but at least you could ruin your cell.

The cells remain cool during the charge process.

Tom

john_bud

Newly Enlightened
Tom,

EXCELLENT!

Thanks for the comprehensive information. I have only used Pila cells and quite frankly, unprotected Li-ion cells have my respect. It sounds like this unit can be used to do what I need and I don't have to worry about my poor pitiful electronics skills to protect my life and limb!!

Have a very Merry Happy Ho Ho Holiday

John Bud