headlight for hunting ?

jeffg

Newly Enlightened
Howdy all...
I go gator hunting most every year in FLA, and I'm constantly struggling w/'light issues' . I'm So glad I found this site...

Let's start with a headlight question, or two...
I like my 2 mcp Xenon SpotLite for spotting, but when we get 'up close' , I resort to a $10 Bass Pro headlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif . It works OK, but something brighter , more uniform, more broad, etc., would be Very helpful. I'm sure y'all get the point ; Reliable , bright ( but not blinding) ...

What would y'all suggest ? I've tried a couple 4/8 bulb AA LED headlamps, but they wern't really too bright .

This year, I went hunting by myself one night, and landed an 8 1/2 footer. I needed more light, so a wrapped my spotlight cord around my neck, and tried to balance it on my belly , while working the beast.... I was thinking ; 'Man, this is like a Bad Creature movie' / 'I'm gonna end upon tv... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the advise!
jeff

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the Princeton Tec EOS or Princeton Tec Corona would be handy for you.

you're not really looking for something spotlight-bright for up close work are you?

the two lights i mentioned have multiple brightness levels that will change the characteristics of the beam. pretty nice lights.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif I read 'Light for Head Hunting' somehow the first time I glanced at the thread.

Good luck on your search. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mrme

Enlightened
It sounds like you want a headlamp for short, intermittent use in a wet environment.

I would recommend a Princton Tec Predator or Vortec. They are 4AA, use a simple and common PR base bulb and are waterproof. The focus is tight with plenty of sidespill. So, you can spot a fair ways with it, but still see all of your aligator. Oh, and it is priced reasonably.

It isn't a great all around light, but I think it meets your needs better than most other light would.

If you are hunting dangerous animals with a spot light, you don't need a tiny, high efficiency, water resistant, comfortable light with a smooth beam. You want a super tough, super simple good throw, light that can really take a swim. PT Vortec has all that in spades.

By the way, what do you hunt aligators for? Their skins? Can you eat them? Are they pests? Is it an expensive hobby? How do you kill them? A high caliber rifle?

Happy hunting.