UV light

rifle59

Newly Enlightened
Any recs re: a reasonable (not too expensive) UV light to use for fun? Looking for scorpions, checking to see if the hotel room is clean etc?

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
I like the 32 led M@g conversions done by www.UVflashlights.com. The one he sells on eBay under the user name xenopus for $60 is great for finding scorpions. I've purchase two from him and they both worked great (really bright for UV). The $60 (reserve price) version uses the 395nm leds but his website has other wavelengths but for substantially more.

cy

Flashaholic
Inova X1 UV can be had for aprox. $21 if you look. pretty bright spot type beam, almost no spill.

also got the short and longer wave length ARC AAA UV lights. but these are getting pretty hard to find. And pricy aprox. $70 if you can get someone to part with theirs.

ARC's have better spill for hunting stuff. T1 due to lens has much better throw.

HA ARC's are of course built tuffer with choice of wave lenghts.

T1 while not HA apears to be quality constructed. you would be happy with either one.

uv lights 2.JPG

uv lights.JPG

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I took one of the $5 (now $5.97) lights from CTD and swapped out the white for 390nm UV LEDs.

It works quite well. Total cost was less than $10.

CTD_Mod1.JPG

I should try it with the 17 LED light I have now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a keychain UV light from Countycomm for a pretty good price, and it works pretty well for what I've been using it for, checking bills and credit cards. .

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
I have the ARC and one led is fine for finding scorpions if you are looking in specific places like cracks in walls. However, for sweeping the desert you need more to see them at a reasonable distanct. Swapping out the cheapy led flashlights that are available sounds like a really good way to go for being inexpensive. Sounds like fun too!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about one of the dirt cheap battery powered F4T5 fluorescent lanterns, just replace the tube with a BLB version, and instant blacklight. Probably the cheapest option. Okay, so it isn't a thrower, but it will put out a lot of UV, especially if you remove the plastic window.

Think the main wavelength from a typical BLB tube is 352nM. Could be wrong there though.

watt4

Enlightened
saw this streamlight UV twintask (3C) light on ebay, might be good for outdoors bug hunting.
ebay link

not that a cpf'er would consider only carrying one light.....