Help!!! Arc4+ stuck on emergency mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmie

Enlightened
I dropped my light on the tail about maybe 2 feet and now its stuck on the "broken switch mode". The switch is still working. I can press down on it and it "clicks".

Do I just reset the light?

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Elmie,

If the light turns on to the "broken switch mode" - i.e., an intermediate brightness setting following a reset - then the switch is On (closed). This can happen for two different reasons. The first cause is that the dome in the switch has been damaged and must be replaced - EDSSC1 (ITT Cannon), sealed dome SPST switch, 120g - available from Digi-key. The second cause is that the positive contact spring has become dished and continuously presses on the switch. The dish can be removed by removing the spring and gently tapping from the back. A third possibility is that both are happening.

Cy can help you with the repairs.

Henry.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Hi Henry,

I am experiencing the same problem with an ARC4+. I have isolated the problem to the switch but am a bit hesitant to start fiddling inside the light.
What is the best method to replacing the switch in the head of the light?

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Led Blind, There is dude here on the CPF's called "CY". He is probably your best bet to help you with your switch problem. Henry from HDS Systems is certainly well versed in the Arc 4 as he is the one that engineered it. However these days he has his hands quite full with the release of his EDC series of lights. So once again send a PM to CY. He is very reasonable and versed on the Arc4 switch problems.

BTW welcome aboard the CPF. Watch your wallet very, very closely. These bright shinny objects are hard to resist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers,
zwf

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you taken the switch apart yet? If you have did you see anything crushed? If the spring or the plunger is stuck or out of sorts you can try to put it back right.
You might ask cy aslo about his switch mod. It keeps the switch flat as to not get bumped.

mut

Led_Blind

Enlightened
ZuluWhiskeyFox
Cheers mate, I will deffinatly have a chat with CY. Either that or offer it for sale to a CPF'r who knows a bit more about fixing it than me.....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

mut
Sadly that thing called work has kepped me busy over the last few weeks.
It sounds like you know what you are talking about... any suggestions of how to get at that switch?

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Led_Blind,

Cy knows how to do the following and I suggest you contact him to get the work done. The positive contact spring is held in by 4 through-hole solder joints that must be unsoldered. The switch is surface mounted using two solder pads. If you are familiar with soldering relatively small objects, the task is straight forward. Otherwise, have someone experienced perform the work.

There may also be an trade-in option in the next month or two.

Henry.

Status
Not open for further replies.