• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB - Milky Candle

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bumpit.gif

Come on, guys!! Nobody's got one of these??? How about a Milky Tester?? I'd even settle for that!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are less than 20 Milky Candles floating around at this moment, so you may have some trouble locating one! I'll ultimately be building a run of at least 100 of a newer design (the MC2), but haven't ordered the boards for those just yet.

There's only ONE Milky Tester in existence! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Yes, I'll make some more... but it would burn up pretty quickly if used as a light. It's designed only to test 123 cells, not use them up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was beginning to wonder if you'd forgotten about hte MC2 project Scott.

Shane

unclearty

Enlightened
I've been experimenting with my own version. I bought one of the BOOST circuits from World Torch and double side taped it to the top of a D cell battery holder. I was looking for a way to completely suck the life out of a bunch of batteries lying around my house. So far, it's been a big sucess. I put a DEAD D cell in it about 2 weeks ago...it's running 24/7. It sits on a shelf in my bathroom so I don't have to turn the big lights on in the middle of the night. Just enough light to comfortably see. The only problem is...at this rate ..it's going to take me YEARS to use up my pile of batteries!..The dead ones are lasting too long!!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hallis, not forgotten, but pushed back a little due to higher life priorities (new job, newborn baby, etc.). It's gonna happen... and as one consolation, I think I've sourced a better white LED and a better switch than had been used before, meaning a more user-friendly design and better efficiency. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unclearty, on a fresh D cell you ought to get something like 1000 hours of runtime out of that circuit (I think!). Incidentally, the Energizer Accent Lamps that were sold at Target this past summer also took a single D cell, and sold in a 3-pack for $20 regular price, or $10 on sale. Lately I haven't seen them in the store, and another CPFer said he thought Energizer had discontinued them. Too bad... it's a stylish and REALLY inexpensive light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

For one more twist on the boost concept off a single D cell (or any single alkaline cell, for that matter), the Dorcy 1AAA LED lights available for $5.94 at Walmart contain an easily removable circuit that drives a higher level of current through the LED... something in the range of 40-80mA. You could easily drive even a low Vf Luxeon with one of those and get lots of light with some nice runtimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

One thing: be careful to check your battery every once in a while! As it bottoms out, it may begin to leak... at least that's been my experience with sucking every last electron out of alkalines. For some reason, the leakage almost always comes out of the negative side of the battery. Just take a quick peek every once in a while and you probably won't have any problems.

BTW, the MC2 will be using a buck circuit to minimize the amount of current drawn from the batteries, thereby keeping the light running in regulation even deeper into the depletion curve.