Surefire_Rocks

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I am Ian Tracy from Leavenworth, Kansas and I joined
candle power forums about five minutes ago. About thirty
minutes ago, I bought my first surefire flashlight- the L4
lumamax. Anyway, I have a quick question for anyone: which
is brighter, in terms of throw, an L4 lumamax or the Inova
X03? Oh, and by the way, I am cornkid's (tommy's) bro.
Thanks.
-Ian Tracy-

greenLED

Flashaholic
Can't help you answer your question, but Welcome!! Sounds like flashaholism is contageous in your family /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Hope you guys have a merry Christmas!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Howdy, welcome to CPF! I don't have an L4, I've got an L6, which actually throws pretty well, and an XO3. The XO3 for sure outhrows the L4. The L4 produces lots more light, though. It's a Lux V based light, while the XO3 is a Lux III light. The XO3 is a nice light, by the way. I've used mine on many walks through the woods at night. It's quite bright. Trying to change a tire with it would totally suck, though.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I own an L4 (a KL4 on a E2e body, specifically) as well as an Inova T3 (the T-series version of the XO3.)

The T3 definitely outthrows the L4. There's no comparison, really. The L4 is a great floodlight, but lacks throw. The T3 (XO3) has massive throw at the expense of sidespill.

Both are very, very good lights. Both serve different purposes, IMHO.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Welcome aboard Ian!

On a L4 related topic, I own an L4 myself and love it. Once I got it, I inveested in a McGizmo Aleph 2 Stage Tailcap, with 22 ohm. This allows you to use the light at its regular brightness, or to use a lower level setting, which saves on battery and is excellent for up close work.

I just wanted to give you a heads up that that might be something that you might eventually want to look into.

Happy Holidays,
John

CQB

Enlightened
Welcome Ian! I read your post hours ago but only got home now to reply - I see (as is CPF standard tradition) that many members have already answered your question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You prolly are already familiar with the website - FlashlightReviews.com. This is done by another CPF member, Doug P. I've made many FL purchases based on his reviews - I find his information invaluable! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

According to his informaiton, the XO3 has approx double the throw (lux) vs the L4. OTOH, the L4 has approx double the overall output (lumens) vs the XO3.

So to answer your question for which FL has more throw, the XO3 wins!

Here are the links for your reference...
SF L4
Inova XO3

One thing I've learned here since joining CPF, is that for the most part, any given FL is only able to EXCEL in either the "output" dept, or the "throw" dept -- AFAIK, no one's been able to figure out how to build a FL that does both equally well.

Of course, maglites have throw and flood capabilities... as we all know... BUT... the quality of their beams leave much to be desired, IMHO.

Who knows? More than likely someone someday (maybe a CPF member) will figure out the answer to all our prayers one day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Welcome again!!
Be safe,
CQB