Gerber / CMG Sonic problems.....................

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 Gerber / CMG Sonics and am having problems with them.
A couple of them right out of the package. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

The problem I am having is that one is intermittent, and 2 have quit all together.
I believe that the problem is in the head where the electronics make contact with the body.

Has anyone else had this problem? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I know I can send them back for repair, but if it's a simple fix, I'd just as soon do it myself.

Thanks, Dave

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've not had any problems with my CMG Sonic. I wonder if the QC has gone down since Gerber's buyout? I'd clean them really well, and if they still don't work send them back. Definitely a bummer when that happens.

Geoff

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
OH YES, It's a BUMMER!

I gave 2 of them as Christmas gifts. 1 doesn't want to hardly work at all, and the other is very intermittent.
The third I opened when I got home and it is intermittent also.

I know why I like my ARC's Now. My PEAK is a lot more reliable also.

I have cleaned the threads, sprayed contact cleaner, even taken the LED assembly out of one to see if it was the problem. It worked fine outside the light.

The back tailcap actually makes contact at the top of the the body, similar to M@G lights. The threads are anodized, and don't really make contact with the tailcap.

It has to be a problem with the way the assemblies are put in from the bottom.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will probably end up sending them back.

Dave

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had 6 or 7 of the old CMG sonics and none has ever had a flickering problem. There only problem was turning on too easily in the pocket, which was fixed with some plastic tubing stretched over the outside.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Gerber / CMG Sonic problems...................

Have you tried a couple brands of cells? I smell something mechanical. For sure something's amiss, statistics won't allow your sort of 'luck'. What are the chances you got 'the only 3 bad ones'?

Next, I'd try straightening a paper clip, bending a hook on one end and using it from the minus end of the cell to the head so you can run it without the body. You know, hold the plus end of the cell against the contact on the head, then use the paperclip from cell minus to the body of the head.

Good luck.

Doug Owen

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Re: Gerber / CMG Sonic problems...................

Doug,

I have tried different cells in them. I've played with a paper clip, just as you suggested, but get the same result.

As I mentioned earlier, I took the LED assembly completely out of the one that won't light at all and tested it. It is fine outside the light.

The problem has to be in the contact of the assembly to the body (negative).

The assemblies are pushed in from the back and have to make contact on the inner tube with 3 little "contacts" on the unit.

Either the anodizing on the inner tube hasn't been removed properly or the contacts are not making proper contact.

I also agree in the fact that how is it possible to have 3 of these that are bad. I bought a total of 5.

I can't explain it but I can tell you that these 3 will be going back to Gerber!

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Dave