lux of KL1 with lumens of KL4

CQB

Enlightened
question:

I was wondering if any of you LED experts know off hand which setup (production or custom) would give me the approx throw of say, a new gen KL1... WITH the approx output (or maybe more specifically, the "spill") of the KL4.

Ideally, small form would still be achieved - no more than say, a 4x123 form, smaller if possible.

FYI - I EDC an AlephIII running off of 2x123. Sweet kit! I already know its throw is close to that of the KL1, if not more. (Edit: Poor choice of words by myself. My A3 outthrows my KL1 BIGtime! There is NO comparison. But standalone, the KL1 throws pretty well on its own for such a small unit.)

But my A3's spill (although quite decent considering the amt of throw I am getting) is prolly NOT close to that of the KL4.

I *am* waiting on a VG FB3 for my A3. I am hoping that the extra 123 will have a positive effect on not only the hotspot, but also on the overall spill/output. But for all I know the only difference I will ultimately experience is a longer runtime? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif (which isnt bad either, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

In any case, there has to be a FL out there that can do this for me... hotspot of a KL1 + flood of KL4... right??! Will someone out there show me the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif ... or am I just dreaming??! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Be safe,
CQB

ps. the thing is I am almost 100% certain that an INCAN can achieve this for me. Say a C3 + KT2. I'm just hoping there is an LED alternative to this otherwise time-proven setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

W4DIZ

Enlightened
You might get what you are looking for with a LUXV in the Aleph 1 or 3 head.I would like to see what others think.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I think a Surefire L6 or a Aleph 3 with a Lux V might give you what you want. If not I think you might "need" a Surefire M6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
From what I have seen and recall, the Aleph 1 with a LuxIII will match the new KL1 in throw, well actually it will out distance it but the beam angle is tighter. Your Aleph 3 will significantly out throw the KL1!!! There is no contest here and it sort of concerns me that you have the perception of parity here. BUT the wall of light you get from the KL4 is due to the higher luminious output from a 5W LED.

If you want the throw of the KL1 and the flood from the KL4, your solution is simple! Wrap a L1 together with an E2e sporting a KL1!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Realistically, your best shot at what I think you are after is perhaps attainable from either an L6 or an Aleph 3 with a 5W LED. Neither of these will give you exactly what you have described but they might provide a viable compromise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

BTW, adding an additional cell to your A-3 will result in greater runtime but not higher output.

CQB

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your replies so far!

heheh, I will force myself to hold off on getting the SF M6 for as long as I can... I dont think i would be able to 'feed' that monster anyways! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

McGizmo - thanks for the suggestions! I take back what I said about the KL1 being close to the Aleph III in throw. I suppose I simply didnt expect the KL1 to throw as far as it does! I've edited my original post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif The A3 has waaaay more useful spill than the KL1 as well. So it's definitely a more useful beam, IMHO. It's just that the KL1 throws so well for such a SMALL piece of kit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, and tks for clarifying what to expect with the 3x123 form - much appreciated!

1. Would you be able to guess-timate how long the runtime would be for my LuxIII DB 1000 run on a) 2x123 and b) 3x123?

2. How would the beam of the L6 compare to that of the L5/L7? I have the L7 and that definitely is more of a flood light to me. IMHO, it doesnt throw very well, especially outdoors - it DOES light up a room with no problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif I am guessing the L6 has more throw with less sidespill...

Since I already invested in my A3 I'll prolly get me a 5W LE in my pursuit of this "flood + throw" beam... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop, PM forthcoming sometime in 2005. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Merry Christmas all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif
CQB