Used EL Panels on eBay

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
EL panels have a limited life span and do dim over that time, so there is no telling how much life these have left. but for the price it might be worth experimenting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I like el panels, they are fun.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I can get some much larger ones for about $15 each if you're interested. They're in the neighborhood of 8"x9"
and they light up bluish-white. They're pink when off.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
>PhotonWrangler

>I can get some much larger ones for about $15 each if you're
>interested. They're in the neighborhood of 8"x9"
>and they light up bluish-white. They're pink when off.

What power supply do they require?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Ken_McE said:
>PhotonWrangler

>I can get some much larger ones for about $15 each if you're
>interested. They're in the neighborhood of 8"x9"
>and they light up bluish-white. They're pink when off.

What power supply do they require?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've run them off of 110vac with fair results, but they're brighter when they're run at ~140vac in the 20khz range.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I didnt know they made them that big. I just bought a sample kit from edmunds scientific and it came with a power supply, but it was rather dim green glow.

I saw in some catalog where they had some the size of business cards and the idea was to use them to light up a name card for like some meeting.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
I saw in some catalog where they had some the size of business cards and the idea was to use them to light up a name card for like some meeting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's an interesting use for them. I made one up using an EL panel and a teensy supply from MicroMark. It was kinda cool - a flexible name badge that glows. If I could find a cheap source for th e kind of badgeholder I used, I'd consider whipping up more of them.