Gerber LX 3.0 Versus Streamlight Jr. Luxeon

manhong

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to purchase a flashlight in the next month or two. I am currently deciding between the Gerber LX 3.0 and the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon. I have read the reviews on both flashlights (on www.flashlightreviews.com) and now undecided on which one to buy. I was hoping that the users here could help me decide. Basically, the flashlight will be used for general lighting purposes and looking beneath cars when they are hoisted on a hydraulic lift. Any input is greatly appreciated. If you have any other suggestions on other flashlights that I might be interested in, I am definitely willing to consider other products. I was hoping that the flashlight would use AA or AAA batteries (to keep costs down) and that the flashlight can preferably use rechargeable batteries.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I have a Streamlight JR Luxeon and I just love it. Output-wise and form-factor wise, the SL is a winner. Its clicky tail cap with momentary function is also a winner in your application. However, I'd wonder if the rubber on the tail cap would survive in the oily environment you probably have. I don't have a Gerber, but I think its twisty tailcap would be a nuisance.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think it would depend an awful lot on whether you wanted a twisty tailcap or a clicky tailcap.
The Gerber LX3.0 uses three AA cells; the Streamlight Jr. uses two AA cells. So I'm guessing the Streamlight uses a step-up circuit, and would be more amenable for using rechargeable cells in than the Gerber might be.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both.

My SL Jr. must be exceptional (Lux 1) , or my Gerber LX 3.0 (Lux 3) must be on the dim side, but they look almost identical in brightness, and throw. Perhaps a smidgen brighter with the Gerber.

I like them both, the Gerber should have longer run time, and as above mentioned, there is a real difference in switching.

It's interesting that the SL Jr. barely exceeds one hour run time, as it is only a Lux 1. Must be driving the snot out of that thing. The SL Jr. blows my SL TL-2 LED out of the water.

Anybody measured current draw on the two lights ? (for comparison)

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Craig, you're the man.

I wish these things (Luxeons) were more predictable in brightness, etc.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind the SL current draw varies with voltage too, as the voltage goes down, the current draw starts climbing, until the point it drops out of regulation.
Here's a chart of the input power draw vs the voltage input:
(you can estimate the current draw at a given voltage by dividing the power by the voltage on the chart)

Click here for chart

Edit: Oversized chart replaced with link, to stop scrolling - Empath

dim

Enlightened
I recently bought five SL Jr. Luxs, four as gifts and one for myself. Although these are my first luxeons and have nothing else to compare them to other than each other, I would say that they are good utilitarian flashlights. Mine, since I took the "pick of the litter", I'd say is very good. I've made additional comments regarding these flashlights in the "Reviews" forum here.

I've been so impressed with the look, feel, fit, finish, output, runtime and just about everything else of my Gerber Trio, that I am also taking a closer look at the LX 3.0. According to reviews, the LX 3.0 has good output, generally more than the Junior. Unlike the Junior, the LX 3.0 is not regulated and has the typically steep alkaline discharge slope and corresponding output. While certainly it will run on NiMH batts and that the discharge rate would likely be flatter than that of alks, because of the lower nominal voltage, I'm curious as to the performance of the LX 3.0 on NiMH batts, brightness, runtime etc....

dim

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i've only handled the Streamlight Jr luxeon, but i own the Gerber LX 3.0, so here is my possibly unfair opinion...

i believe the Jr luxeon has less throw, altho comparable to, and less overall light than the LX 3.0, but the LX 3.0 probly weighs over twice as much as the Jr luxeon, with an extra battery in length and an extremely heavy duty body. but the LX 3.0 puts some serious light in your focal.

personally, i have no preference between clicky and twisty, since i've found that all twisty lights i've had, i can use one-handed just fine, including the LX 3.0. but if you wanna keep it in your pocket while you walk around the garage, the Jr luxeon is way more pocketable and versatile with its small AA Minimag size and its clip.

i think it's pretty safe to say the LX 3.0 is far more rugged than the Jr luxeon too, altho i didn't get a real feel for the Jr luxeon. the powder-coating type of finish on the LX 3.0 is alot tougher than i thought it'd be, but others might be less impressed.

my favorite part of the LX 3.0 is the fact that it will be putting out light long long after you've had to change the batteries in your Jr luxeon, probly numerous times. in 3 hours (ymmv) when the LX 3.0 hits 50% brightness, it should still be brighter than, or @ least on par with the Jr luxeon.

i also think the LX 3.0 is way more purty than the Jr luxeon. but if i had to make a reccomendation for garage duty, i'd have to say go with the Jr luxeon. it's about $10 less and will ride easily in pretty much any pocket on your work clothes. it also wont weigh your pockets down like the LX 3.0, which really does have a surprising heft to it. but hey, personally, i like that.

Edit:
also, Streamlight says rechargable batteries shouldn't be used in the Jr luxeon, and any damage that occurs while it's being run on rechargable or lithium batteries will void their warranty. not sure what Gerber's stance on rechargable batteries in the LX 3.0 is, but i know they say not to use lithiums.

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have both and my vote would have to be for the SL JR.

The SL has a shorter throw but seems to be as bright at closer distances. Overall the SL seems to be a better built light.

I am not at all impressed with the Gerber.
It is heavy, has battery rattle, and is longer than the SL.
I don't mind twisty tailcaps, but the Gerbers seems to be a pain in the A** to use maybe because of the extra length.
Did I mention that it is HEAVY. Kind of clunky to me.

I run the SL JR on NiMH and have had no problems.
It is handier to use 2 batteries at a time and charge 2 than 3 at a time.

I don't think you would go wrong getting the SL JR!

robk

Enlightened
Ryan,
Where did you read that the Jr shouldn't be used with rechargeables? I've been using 2 of them with 2500mAh NiMH cells and haven't had a problem (yet). I re-read the packaging and the web page, but didn't see anything about NiMH, although it does state "runs on alkaline cells".
Thanks,
Rob

Chargeit

Newly Enlightened
I have both lights and spent about 5 years working under cars so maybe I can be of some help!
Since you have already read the reviews you know the Gerber is brighter.I suppose you are wondering if the Jr. is bright enough. Yep! for the close up work you do it's
plenty bright enough. The Gerber is definitely the sturdier/better quality of the two,but the Jr. would be my choice; fits in the pocket better and the clickie switch is a lot easier to use one handed.
Both are great lights-why not get both of them ?!
Once you buy one quality light there is no turning back!

Dann

dim

Enlightened
While I've not yet done so myself, as my SL Jr. Lux is still quite new, there are several accounts of Juniors with NiMH batts. Because of its good regulation, despite the differences in nominal voltage between alks and NiMH, there is little to no difference in output and because of the lower internal resistance of NiMH, users have claimed two to three hour runtimes, about twice that of alks.

My Gerber Trio is heavier and heavier duty than my SL Jr. Lux and is a better built flashlight...better looking too. The "twisy" is easily managed with one hand and, like the LX 3.0 (I think), the tailcap can be squeezed for momentary on.

dim

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and like both a lot. If you get the LX 3.0, be sure to try the CPF link to batterystation.com---the $40 price is hard to beat.

My LX 3.0 is a good bit brighter than the Jr., at least on fresh batteries. Which is easier to use one-handed depends on whether it's easier for you to use the "tactical" grip and use the thumb on the clickie (Jr.), or you pull it out underhand style and use the twistie (LX 3.0).

Both are exceptional lights for the money---IMO, 2 of the best AA luxeons available. Buy both, play with them a lttle, then sell the one that comes in 2nd on CPF BST---you'll only pay a few extra $ for the fun of trying both!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
robk said:
Ryan,
Where did you read that the Jr shouldn't be used with rechargeables? I've been using 2 of them with 2500mAh NiMH cells and haven't had a problem (yet). I re-read the packaging and the web page, but didn't see anything about NiMH, although it does state "runs on alkaline cells".
Thanks,
Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
here @ the bottom of the page on Quickbeam's Streamlight Jr luxeon review.
Streamlight does not say it will damage the light, but it says if the light does happen to be damaged by rechargables, it will void the warranty, as the light was made to run on alkalines.
it doesn't seem to be damaging in CPF member's lights tho, and it's not like it'd be a kick in the arse to replace a $30 light.
so it's probly fine for the most part.

manhong

Newly Enlightened
Dann,

As a mechanic with both lights, do you notice that the Gerber LX 3.0 is brighter for use under cars than the Streamlight Jr.???

robk

Enlightened
BlindedByTheLite,
Thanks for the info. I doubt that NiMH cells will damage the light, but good to know Streamlight's policy. I'll continue to use NiMH cells, it's only a $30 light and I haven't had any problems.
Thanks again,
Rob

dim

Enlightened
How does the Elektrolumens XM-3 fit into this mix?
Gerber LX 3.0 Vs. Streamlight Jr. Luxeon Vs. Elektrolumens XM-3?

dim

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the Elektrolumens XM-3 fit into this mix?
Gerber LX 3.0 Vs. Streamlight Jr. Luxeon Vs. Elektrolumens XM-3?

The big shootout
This could be very interesting

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:

here @ the bottom of the page on Quickbeam's Streamlight Jr luxeon review.
Streamlight does not say it will damage the light, but it says if the light does happen to be damaged by rechargables, it will void the warranty, as the light was made to run on alkalines.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, rechargeables will not work for the Jr. Lux as they are only designed to use regular alkaline batteries (1.5v). There could be increased risk of damage by using any battery other than the recommended. Many times, lithiums and rechargeables are higher in voltage (3V or more). Also, the lithium and/or rechargeables are built different than alkaline in regards to the + and - parts of the sleeve (sleeve being positive in alkaline vs. being negative in other battery types). Any damage incurred from use of non recommended batteries will void the limited lifetime warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]
While lithiums could be a concern with the higher voltage, NiMH shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like the concern was if the battery insulation was damaged and allowed a short circuit to occur.