L5 vs. U2

N710

Newly Enlightened
Trying to get an idea of how bright my new U2 is compared to others who have them.

How many of you have both a L5 and U2 and have compared the U2 at level 6 to the L5?

From what I have read on the U2 I either have a very bright L5 or a not so bright U2 on level 6.
My L5 is slightly brighter and has a sharper hot spot than
the U2,both are tinted about the same-white.

The L5 is rated at 65 lumens and the U2 at 100 lumens on 6(oh wait,that has been changed to 80!)what gives?

How do yours compare?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
My L5 and U2 are about the same. My U2 might be a little brighter. I'm very pleased with both of them.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two U2s in my possession right now. One is 25% brighter than the other according to my meter, and also has a more pleasing tint.

So there is a bit of a lottery even with this high-end light.

symes

Enlightened
I have two new U2s, an L5 and an L6.

The L5 is a little brighter (much whiter) than the U2 on max and the L6 blows it away completely (the latter I did sort of expect due to the longer bezel).

I frankly can't understand the 100 or 80 lumen claim in light of that, unless the KL5 was under rated.

My biggest complaint with the U2s though is not the top end but the bottom end. Way too bright for doing any kind of close work in the dark once your eyes are adapted. Should have taken it all the way down to the L1 level of 0.5 lumens - that is perfect.

I still love my U2, and it is perfect for some many uses, but it just isn't all I hoped it would be.

Looking forward to see what the Night-ops Gladius brings in final version - I understand that they have been blowing away L6s for throw and yet have a much lower bottom end with incredible battery life...

Sounds very promising to me...