VIP LED Swap

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
What's involved in swapping the emitter in the VIP? Is it as simple as unsoldering the 2-leads to the emitter and soldering a new one back on? Is the emitter held in-place with epoxy or anything? Has anyone found the need to perform a swap like this?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
You got it right Ray, just 2 leads, same as the LionHeart. 'Cept you have to un-epoxy it from the heatsink, and usually a razor blade tapped lightly from the side with a small hammer does the trick. But MAKE SURE you get the blade edge completely UNDER the bottom slug and fully in between it and the heatsink surface, or you'll only take off the black part and up, thereby rendering the Luxeon useless, plus still have to dislodge the metal slug after that.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Re-centering the emitter will be tricky. I had to re-epoxy the emitter on mine due to carelessness on my part (over-tightening the head w/IMS reflector) and it's a bit off-center. It doesn't effect the beam with the reflector much, but it's a problem with the optic.

So... find a clever way to center the emitter should you have to re-epoxy it.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yup, that's true. We used a "centering jig" to do them, basically a cylinder hollow on one end with a hole about the size of the Luxeon dome all the way through, and the hollow just sized enough to go over the head threads. Press it down on the Luxeon after setting it down on the heatsink with a dollop of AA epoxy under the slug, hold it down with a narrow object (small straw is good) while lifting the jig straight up off the head.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
'cheers' to Charlie for being so forthright... one big reason i think he's got the 'pulse' of flashlight people is being so open and honest... you don't get "i don't recommend that" you get step-by-step instructions including how to salvage the emitter coming off. kudos.. and thanks for the inspiration.. your 'personal thanks'.. (007) will be on its way pretty darn soon.

-awr

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Niether can I, however I'm going thru my final sweep of "which lights do I keep forever". I'm basing part of my decisions on how upgradable the light can be (emitter) 2 or 3 years down the road.