NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thor Vs HF Spot - Which is Better ?

Default Thor Vs HF Spot - Which is Better ?

Got a Thor for Xmas, and I'm pretty disappointed in its performance.

Ok, out of the box a great looking 'Big @ss' light. But, after charging it for the recommended 8 hours, I switched it on and all I got was a flood of light. Inspection of the front end showed the bulb to be crooked, leaning to the left side. So, I remove the PITA 8 screws, very carefully flex/bend things straight. Now it's perfectly centered and straight and makes a sharp spot.

But, not impressive at all, even on 'HI'. It's quite yellow tint light, still more flood than real 'throw', and far from 10M candle power. Yes, I've read through the 'put in bigger wires' and even the 'boost' thread, but I don't think it's worth the trouble. For one, I get two darks lines in the beam from the wires that hold the filiments.

Overall, I recommend a "Pass" unless you really just want the case (like me) for experimenting with.

Lux for Lux, and even more so dollar for dollar, you would be much better served with the Harbor Freight big spot light for $15.00 when on sale. It has a much better beam, at least twice the throw, and on 'HI' it is incredibly white. Amost Luxeon white in color, very, very noticeable next to the Thor beam. The HF big spot also has auto charge shut off with indicator led and an external 12V out jack for running other things. Two nice features the Thor lacks.

While the Thor is big and bright, it's put to shame by the HF big spot for only $15.00 (sale price). I recommend the HF over the Thor; its a Best Buy.

Edited to add pics:

Here's the Thor (left) and the HF (right) on low:

It's hard to tell, but the spot on the HF is way brighter in Low. This next photo is both lights on HI.

My cheap camera does not do a good job of showing what the eye sees, as it saturates on bright light. But, you can see the color tint difference in the lights.

The Thor probably is spewing more lumens out the front of the light, but no where as focused as the HF light. The Thor lights up a lot with its side spill light; too bad it couldn't get focused in to the spot.

The HF spot does a much better job of making a perfect round beam with no wire lines, etc. And it just reaches out in to the dark farther than the Thor can. My opinion is the HF has more throw, better tint, and more options for a lower price.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Thor Review - Save Your Money

my black thor is great modded hid

my vector 2 million cp was almost as bright as a stock thor

the thor's hot spot was brighter.

I modded the vector to hid and the thor hid is still a little brighter with a smaller much brighter hot spot.

Flashaholic*

Thanks for the write-up lambda [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img] While I would have to agree that the Thor lacks throw, its worthwhile to note it will cast a big spot at least 300 yards.

Where can you get a Harbor Freight? Any nation wide retails carry them?

looks like I gotta get another light [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img].....

lambda,

could you do us a favor and take the bulb out of the HF, and check to see if it is labeled for identification, or country of manufacturer. I suspect you have an axial filament Vector spotlight type of bulb in there, perhaps overdriven??? The Thor uses a standard automotive H4 bulb which has a huge wide filament, but for automotive uses, the headlamp's lens eliminate the ugly beam filament artifacts. Yeah, the Thor is pretty huge/impractical, even compared to the X990.

Edit, on second thought, the Vector's use blue tinted bulbs to give fake white HID like appearance, maybe that's what you are noticing.

I bought A Thor when they first came out. I think all the under $ 100.00 spotlights are way overrated. My Collins Dynamics spotlight is much brighter than the Thor and is only rated at 3/4 of a million candlepower. But at the price many of the cheaper spotlights are a real bargain. Larry.

[ QUOTE ]
    udaman said:
    Edit, on second thought, the Vector's use blue tinted bulbs to give fake white HID like appearance, maybe that's what you are noticing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine doesn't.

This the one?

I have noticed the blue quartz bulbs in the vectors too.
    You may get a better whiteness out of a "high performance" 55 watt automotive H4 bulb.
    The battery may have an easier time maintaining full power to a smaller bulb.
    Also look at the innards of the H4 bulb for smaller filament supports and a smaller filament to improve throw.

lambda,

Do you have any outside pic's at range say a hundred yards or more of the Thor vs HF light, I find this more telling of a spotlights true potential. My best throwing lights have a horrible looking spot inside the house on a white wall because you are looking at a direct reflection of the lampís filament or arc gap and not where the beam culminates at with large reflectors many feet in front of it.

The HF light does have nice color to it almost looks looks like one of your monster LED mods [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Later
    Kelly

Flashaholic*

comparing my vectot to my thor(before any mods)
    inside my house-white wall they looked pretty close(thor slightly brighter)

outside the thor threw a brighter tighter beam.

Flashaholic*

if you got it at costco for 24.99

the 12 volt 7 amp sla and the 1.5 amp 12 volt wall wart

are worth the 24.99 even if you throw the rest of it away.

[ QUOTE ]
    TwoGun said:
    This the one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that one; for $15.00 it's a deal.

Ok, after some more time with the Thor, I'll give it hi marks for a work light. If you need bright portable light, it beats the HF for illuminating a room. But the HF still wins in the 'spot' long distance to me. But then I have green eyes and tend to see whiter light better. But the HF projects a great beam and with the auto shut off charging you don't have to guess how long to charge.

I guess they both have their place. One as a work light, the other as a search light.

I really was looking for Thor to house a 35/50W HID lamp anyway. It's got the basic two switch requirement and has a deeper reflector than the HF spot. Oh well, it's still bright, just not what I thought..

[ QUOTE ]
    markdi said:
    if you got it at costco for 24.99

the 12 volt 7 amp sla and the 1.5 amp 12 volt wall wart

are worth the 24.99 even if you throw the rest of it away.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not hard to find one of those jump start batteries for under $25, which is just a ~17ah battery and charger.

Real quick question, is the Thor 10Million CP a 'smart' charging light? Will it kick itself off when its charged 100%? I see the LED on the side next to the AC plug, didnt know if that will shut off or something.

Cameron

[ QUOTE ]
    bobisculous said:
    Real quick question, is the Thor 10Million CP a 'smart' charging light? Will it kick itself off when its charged 100%? I see the LED on the side next to the AC plug, didnt know if that will shut off or something.

Cameron

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a Thor, but I highly, highly doubt it.

Flashaholic*

no it does not stop charging automatically

I checked the book for the HF spot because the ad above quotes a 75W bulb. In the book, it says 115W:

So maybe they've up gunned some of the newer ones with bigger bulbs. That makes more sense why it's so competetive with Thor...

If you take the H3 bulb out, it has it's rating stamped on it's metal collar.

That's good to know about the bulb issue. I'm going to HF today and will make sure to check the box out and paperwork before I purchase. That light I posted is on sale for $19.99. The sale prices generally flow to the retail outlets as well.

You have to watch some of their products. Happened to me once with a vice. It had two SKU numbers on the box but each number corresonded to a different vice. The only way you new which one was which was from brown shipping wrapping which they tear off when they put them on the floor. Had to open the boxes to find the right one. China, gotta to love'em.

Interesting, I was also a little disapointed with the output (throw and total output, but mostly throw).

can someone supply a link to the Harbor Freight page. Found lots of lights but not this one?

It's under Electrical and then Shoplights.

Here's the link.

Thank you very much Two Gun!!

[ QUOTE ]
    3rd_shift said:
    If you take the H3 bulb out, it has it's rating stamped on it's metal collar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I just checked it; 115 Watts.

I think all you need is to look for the blue bulb to tell the 115W from the 75W.

Just ordered one on-line. Hope it comes with the 115 watt bulb. Lambda, what battery is used in the HF light and what run time do you get with it?

Flashaholic*

the phillips 12569 bulb in the thor is rated at 2900 lumens at 13.2 volts at the base.

it is a high quality 100 watt bulb
    cheaper 130 watt h4 bulbs are not brighter.

the smaller battery in the harbor freight spotlight with a 115 watt h3 bulb
    would have more voltage sag - less output - runtime and lower color temp.

maybe your thor is defective some how.

I would tather have a german made phillips bulb than one made in china.

Oh, I seen you are comparing the Harbor Freight light to the THOR. You should see what the THOR does with the proper voltage to the bulb, it is severly underpowered stock...

Disregard my comments below then...

Maybe you should change this to a THOR knockoff title and reference, this doesn't even look like a real THOR.

These fake THOR knockoffs are extremely cheap and rather shoddily made. Just about every aspect of them really sucks.

The true THOR utilizes a H4 bulb, shown here:

The .pdf is here:
    http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/12569p~1.pdf

A true THOR looks more like this:

Every true THOR will say Cyclops on the box somewhere

I assume this is why there are conflicting comments on the THOR, and now I understand why, folks are confusing the junk lights to the real THORs.

newbi,
    So you think alot of people are comparing spotlights to Thor knockoffs rather than the real thing?

Fake-thors? thats new [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    A big reflector, 100w Philips bulb and a 12v 7AH SLA makes a Thor a Thor, doesn't it?

Btw mine doesn't say Cyclops ANYWHERE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast