Short Takes-Peak and Mantis

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Well, I've had a few hours to play with my new lights. Here's a couple observations. For the Peak 1 AAA 3 LED High Power Snow my initial reaction was like, wow! Beautiful tint and really bright. The beam's tightly focused, a bit more than a Sonic, so if you like spill there's not much. I got the brass and immediately stuck the head on a prototype brass body from an earlier buy. It's about a quarter inch longer than my Arc now. Haven't tried carrying it much, but it may prove too heavy to be rattling around in my pocket. Next one will be aluminum. Sure do love the smell of that brass, though.

On to the Gerber Mantis. Definitely a strange little bug. Actually it's not little at all. It's probably the most massive 2 AAA light around. One end has a strong spring clamp. The other end has the light with its red and white LEDs and the batts. In between are four adjustable arms which accordian out and about. This offers many possibities where a little no hands light is needed. The switch is a soft push type (do these use a little juice all the time?). First push to white, then red, then blinking red. If you stay in one mode more than a few seconds it will go to off with the next push. Both colors are bright with good flood. For close range (1-2 feet) use I think it'll work pretty well. It's too bad the business end won't detach for pocket carry. If anyone knows how to do it without just breaking it off please let me know.

Geoff