Inretech 2AA - Great for the NON Flasholic! (Story attached to prove point!)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my Inretech 2AA drop in LS LED is a really nice product.

However, it is not my brightest LS.

It's about the 5th brightest, actually. That actually makes it 2nd from the last. (The CMG Reactor hold the title of "dimmest!")

So, why do I like it? In a side by side test, with all new batteries, when my other two 2AA LS went DARK or into MOON MODE, my Inretech was still humming along, abit a little dimmer than when it started out, but still very much a useable light. Now my Brinkmann stock 2AA with the standard Nextstar incandecent bulb, was also tested, and was just a little more than a "glowing ember" after about 4 or 5 hours, and the Inretech was still putting out useable, white light.

So, compared to an incandecent, the Inretech is a much better value.

And I think that is what Inretech is going after, replacing the stock bulb in a mini-mag.

For a non-flashoholic, this is what they want, a better light than a incandecent, and a long run time.

Us flash-oholics just can't wait to change the batteries in our lights. Use a light for an hour or two, change the batteries! Even if your not sure, change the battery anyway! A lot of us will take "Bright as can be", for a shorter time. SureFire is a good example. Their 2 cell, 123 lights are really bright, but only last an hour. BUT WAIT, if you want really bright, you have an option to put a HOLA in there, that will double your light, but only give you 20 minutes of light.

(OK, there are exceptions, some people, like the CMG infinity, specifically because it is a dim light, with a very long run time).

I recommended to a neighbor, a Brinkmann Legend LX, and he went crazy over the light! And why shouldn't he? It is much brighter, and with such a pure beam that rivals a SureFire, it's a great light.

He came up to me this weekend, and was telling me how his light, that he "barely used" had gone dim. "Was there a problem?" he asked me. When I told him that the batteries had a 1 hour run time, he understood, but was disappointed. After all, when you put 3 D cells in a mag-light, you are set for many hours of runtime.

So, a light like the Inretech 2AA would be a good gift or suggestion for people that want something better, but are not prepared to be changing out the batteries all the time.

Just my thoughts.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Adapter
winkie.jpg

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
BuddTX, Recommending Legend LX (small/bright/short runtime) to non-flashaholic might not a good idea by my experience. It'd even worse if it is been used as household utility light. I used to get E2s as gift item but most of receipients just put it aside and never use it after the first set of CR123.

There shouldn't be any argument that low light/long runtime flashlight has a huge market. That's why we have Infinity task light and Matric. In fact, bright/small/short runtime is a niche market and might not be too welcomed by general public. It happens that many CPF members are in the bright/small/good beam category. The reasons behind their needs (for fun, needs on their job, or simply possession) are irrelevant.

We all also know that a long runtime light is important in some situation regardless you're flashaholic or not. It sounds to me that the major technology of Inretech is *low light is better than no light*. How about X5 or Reactor? Especially Reactor, it's a complete light not a drop in yet using the same *2 AA direct drive LS technology*, not to mention its warranty (life time?). X5 is smaller, waterproof and has pretty good runtime capability. Yes I read in other threads that your Inretech is brighter than Reactor. However some other members claimed otherwise. We all know quality variation of current LS and individual's luck.

Of course, may be we focus too much on runtime and brightness and miss out some other major features unique to Inretech.

Although I'm very interested in Inretech's Super6 and Mega6, I would like to emphasis that I do NOT have inretech Minimag LS drop in and have no way to comment how it compares with its competitor.

Alan

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add to this, the LS adapter has been on my "Want" list. Now that I canceled my order for the G2Z-OD, that won't be out to Feb, I went and ordered the Inretech. I have high exspectations on this adaptor. Pick me out a good one Mike.

Deviant

Enlightened
since this thread is on INRETECH adapters, i have got a question abt the MEGA 6. (hope it's not too off topic)

6D mag is going to be big and definately not that friendly on the belt if one intends to carry it around.
i was wondering if it's possible to make a batt adapter for 3 * 3V lithium to be placed in a 2D mag for the mega6.

of course my assumptions are simplistic. i.e. there is no considerations on current which LEDs are sensitive to.
because for $300 for an apdator and the kind of size (6D mag), imo the SF M6 will be a better bet.

Mike, no pun intended, just some thoughts you might want to include in your drawing board

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other battery possibilities are available for the MEGA6, if the battery voltage is the same as 6xD
(9v Alk/7.5v Nicad) - the batteries will work.

Again, maximum current should be limited to 4.2A

The new heatsink design in the SUPER6/MEGA6 is far more efficient than the old design

Mike
http://www.inretech.com/

franken2

Newly Enlightened
hats off to inretech! i received my pair of 2AA adapters and am remembering how nice that little mini-mag is. almost as bright (with slightly used lithiums) as my streamlight 4AA to my eyes. i'll probably be ordering more as gifts. haven't tried the opalec yet, the pt attitude seems to fit that niche nicely. cheaper too. may need to try some of those member modded 2AA replacement mods though, just to stay on top of things.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will probably order one or two of the inretech adapter's for Christmas gifts as well but I'm a little worried. It seems how it may be "the luck of the draw" as you are to get one with various levels of brightness depending on the Vf of the Luxeon. With the higher voltage of lithium's, this would less of a concern but for using alkaline's this could be a real issue. I would like to know if Inretech does any sorting of the Luxeon's based on Vf.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another factor is battery performance, I have taken "new" Alkaline batteries right out of the package and measured quite a wide range of voltages.

Alkaline batteries are nominal 1.5v, but can be lower or sometimes higher, using 2 batteries from the same lot doubles the effect on the output.

Although the self-discharge of a Alkaline is not as bad as a NiCad, it still exists

Not only is the voltage an issue, but the Internal resistance of the battery can change over the life of the battery, this prevents it from supplying the needed current

Simply measuring your battery voltage with a voltmeter is going to tell you the open-circuit voltage of the battery, not its true ability to supply current to your product

Try measuring the battery voltage with a resistor to simulate the amount of load, with our 2AA Adapter - it is approx 150ma; so you would use
approx 20 ohms at 1w

In the MEGA6, I took 6 Brand new Alk. batteries and they of course measured about 9.2v (a little high), but when I turned on the 6x5w parts - this went down to 6v due to the internal resistance of the batteries; although this is a HUGE amount of current - the same can occur with 2AAs - just to a smaller scale.

A incandescent light bulb is a constant current device, it will always try to draw the same amount of current during its operation - as the voltage drops lower, the filament resistance goes down and current is maintained.

A LED on the other hand has a pretty linear current range, as the voltage goes down - so does the current

Its important to check the date codes on the batteries and see how long they have been sitting on the shelf.

If you suddenly see a great price on the batteries, maybe its because they are several months old and the store is trying to move them.

Lithium batteries are designed better for longer storage, and as such - are a little more expensive

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
A side note

Just had a customer complain about his InReTECH adapter not being very bright, he informed me that he had purchased a bulk of batteries from Costco

I have looked at Costco before, and I think they were "KirkLand" batteries

I told him to go out and purchase some name-brand batteries - which he did, and it made a lot of difference; there is no telling how long these batteries sat on the shelf at Costco

My suggestion - stay with the name brands such as "Duracell" and "Eveready"

Mike
www.inretech.com

Empath

Flashaholic
You may do well to do a search of Kirkland batteries. They are a very well respected battery here, and a great value. As for ""not knowing how long they've sit on the shelf", they have just recently been reintroduced after a long period of non-availability. So I'd say they couldn't have been on the shelf any longer than three to four months.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my Strong belief that the Kirkland cells are mf'd by a brand name big manufacturer anyway. Try looking at the BOTTOM cap of the cell for a dead giveaway.
tongue.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
We should be posting some new pictures on the website soon for the new products such as the SUPER6, MEGA6, TRILIGHT, HELIOS, and the new colors for them

Just added the "Royal Blue" to the lineup - and its a very deep blue.

Mike
www.inretech.com

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the selection chart for the AA drop in:

Red/Orange (4.3)
White (18)
Red (25)
Green (25)
Cyan (30)
Blue (5)
Royal Blue (na)

So, tell me if I understand this. There is a Blue and a Royal Blue available. The "(na)" stands for 'not applicable' in reference to lumens due to the unique properties of a Royal Blue. The "(na)" does not stand for 'not available'.