L1, L2, L4?

bobomaticx

Newly Enlightened
Hey cpf'ers!

Right now im pending on buying either an L1, L2, or L4. The problem is i dont knwo which one to get!
L1 - I really like the size and the dual switch option, plus i think it looks really cool! the light levels are great for edc i believe becasue it wont totally kill my vision in the dark, and yet, is bright enough.
L2 - I relly like the dual switch also, but i dont like the size, how it is longer than the L4. I like the light output, and think thats really bright. which is an awsome thing.
L4 - I really like this light because of the brightness and the size, how its smaller than the L2, but no dual switch. 5 watt sounds really good, but its only 1 level of light

Which light should i get? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ryan

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the three lights you mention, they are different, your choice should be based on a specific need. Should I decide for only one, it would be the L2.

In a further consideration, the L4 can be modified with a Mc2S tailcap made from CPF member McGizmo and sold on the Sandwich Shoppe, to become a two-level light. Also, the L4 accepts Pila 168S rechargeable battery, so you can have a smaller, two-level, rechargeable L4 light if you are willing to shop around and do some modifications.

Anthony

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 with McE2S - the custom McE2S two-stage switch gives you two levels of light on an L4. It is a third party mod that is readily available.

Or, simply go for the U2 Digital Ultra - it would be cheaper than buying all 3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bobomaticx

Newly Enlightened
if i added the Mc2S to the L4, would it be the same length as the L2? perhaps it is just hte body size of the L2 that turns me off to it, but it looks awsome!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be shorter. That was one of the big advantages of the McE2S, the size - it's the size of a normal L4 tailcap and can even be installed in a normal tailcap (you replace the internals). In that way, you'd get a normal-looking L4 with a two-stage.

symes

Enlightened
I had a couple of L2s and ended up selling them both.

I had liked the idea in principle because I adore my L1. However, the L2 is really quite long and the low level really wasn't low enough for me.

An L4 is a great light and quite small and pocketable, but without the mod it is just big bright close up with no throw or longevity.

The L1 is great for long life - I once clocked mine over 100 hours on low only. However, the high level really doesn't compete with the latest 3/5W luxeons, if you need it.

Thus it was that I got on the U2 bandwagon. Shorter than the L2, but a little broader in the bezel. Good overall life on the low level and much better than L4 throw on the high level.

I think that what I really want is an L4 body, KL5 head and a McTailcap that gives just 0.5 lumens at low level or flatout.

Thus I am waiting for the arrival of the Night-ops Gladius, which should address all these issues - albeit a little long...

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a Aleph 2 turn key 2 x cr123 that allowed me a good deal of user flexibility. 2 stages of light output,good throw and excellent run-time. It is quickly becoming my favorite light. With that being said, I still very much enjoy my SF KL1 and KL4 especially with the Vital Gear FB bodies. But they will be used for different purposes now.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I would think your choice depends on your needs. I think of the L1 and L2 as better lights for camping and all around use (although the high/low) setting may not suit your needs. I like their 2-stage switch, but am not too thrilled about their looks, and the fact you can't use Pila batteries in them (I like rechargeable batts). I like the L4 (form-wise) much better, but I dislike the "flood" beam from the LuxV, and the lack of 2-stage switch (which can be worked around, but you loose the clickie ability, which I absolutely love). Bottomline: We're on the same boat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I got the L4 I'd definitely get the 2-stage mod. Is there a way of tightening the beam from a LuxV??

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Ryan,

You probably should get the L4. It is popular for a reason, and you said you didn't like the length of the L2. If you get a two stage tailcap for your L4, I recommend you keep your clicky tailcap so that you can switch back if you want to.

I highly recommend Pila batteries.

My L2 is slightly brighter than my L4s, but you have to look hard to see the difference. The strong point of the L2 is the low beam that runs for about 8 hours and seems about as bright as my L1 on high. The L2 is longer than the L4 because the L2 has two circuit boards in the body and the L4 has one circuit board in the head. The L2 is regulated on both high and low.

The L1/A2 and L4/KL1/Aleph with the two stage tailcaps are not regulated on low. These lights get their low beam by dropping the light out of regulation. All of this is just to explain why the L2 is longer than the L4.

If you are going to use primary cells, I recommend the L2 or A2. The A2 has both throw and flood.

The low beam of the L1 or the L4 with a two stage tailcap will be more like a ARC AAA or a Infinity Ultra rather than what you would expect from a Luxeon.

greenLED,

The way to get a tighter beam from a LuxV is to use a larger reflector. Think U2/L5/L6 or Aleph 3.

Tighter beam, two stage (6), clicky, Pila, it sounds like you "need" a U2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
What a useful thread! I'm contemplating the exact same decision myself. How's the beam on the L2 vs. the L4? The L4, from what I understand, is mostly flood. Is the same true of the L2, or does it have a little better throw than the L4? (Throw isn't my biggest need here, I've got other lights for throw.)

It's a hard choice. I've got a red L1, and I like the light and am considering getting one in white. It's a great size, and it throws surprisingly well. (At least to me.)
I think a light that's brighter, and 2 stage output would be more generally useful than an L1, althought the size of the L1 is really awesome. (I've been EDC'ing the red L1 just to try it out for the past week or so. It's mainly an astronomy light, but I've found I like it a lot.)

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with a L2, although a bit longer, the length doesn't bother me a bit. I also have a L4 with 2 stage cap, I put the original cap back on because 1) I missed the clicky and 2) the tailcap guard that allows the light to stand on end makes it harder for my thumb to push it.
If I were to go camping with 1 light, the L2 is the light I would bring.

kalibear

Newly Enlightened
I carry a L2 everyday and mostly use the low setting light for general use. I believe you'll get 3 hours use out of the low setting. I like the pocket clip and it rides well in the pocket (not too wide). I would like to upgrade to the U2 someday

rifle59

Newly Enlightened
The L1 is good for EDC, the low level is good for night-time "don't stub your toe use". The L2 is better if you are limited to one light only. I like both, if you can afford both -get them!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
MrBenchmark,

The L2 has the same beam as the L4.

I have the L1 in both red & white. I also have several other red LED lights, but the only red LED I use daily is a ARC AAA.

The L4 is about a 1/2 inch longer than the L1.
The L2 is just a hair longer than a MiniMag with a Kroll switch.

The high of the L1 or the low of the L2 takes care of 90% of my needs.

I recommend the L4 for a light that's brighter than a L1, but the same size. Then get a two stage switch. I also highly recommend Pila batteries.

If you are going to use primary cells and the length of the L2 isn't an issue, I recommend the L2 because the low beam is very useful and the eight hour runtime is awesome.

IMHO the most practical and useful Surefire lights are the A2 and the L2.

bobomaticx

Newly Enlightened
wow i agree, thankks, the L2 looks more awsome, and super useful! for some reason, i dont really care about the size anymore, perhaps with enough funding, i shall buy a L1 in a few months after the L2. thanks!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Bobomaticx,

I own a L2 and had an L4 at one time. I gave my brother the L4. The L2 is great. It is a bit longer but its got great balance in the hand. I also prefer the brighter low beam setting. Its great for night hikes because you know its never gonna gas out on you with a 8 hour regulated burn time, thats of course you don't night hike in the artic circle. Also the hum on the low setting lets you know its still in regulation. The L4 with its short length and large bezel (relative to the battery tube) always felt like it was ready to slip out of my hand. I don't own a L1 but I imagine it's a L2 action figure.

Thats my (L)2 cents...

MoonRise

Enlightened
L1 = 2 stage 1x123, 0.7 lumens 50 hours or 15 lumens 1 hour

L2 = 2 stage 2x123, 15 lumens 18 hours or 100 lumens 1 hour (seems to be 50 minutes real-world) regulated, diminishing afterwards. Regulated high and low output.

L4 = 2x123, 65 lumens 1 or 2 hour regulated (conflicting info from Surefire and QuickBeam's site), diminishing afterwards

Yes the L2 is the longest of the three, but it's less than an inch longer than a MiniMag! There is a one inch length difference between the L2 (6.1 inch) and the L4 (5.1 inch).

The L2 is just long enough that the head and tail stick out of my hand when I hold it (hand wrapped around the body, thumb on tail switch). Quite a good size to hold and use actually. A little long for EDC on a belt though.

Check out QuickBeam's Flashlight Review of the L2 . He also has the L1 and L4 reviewed as well. The LED Museum also has reviews of the lights as well.

redcar

Enlightened
L1 - good around the house, in the car, on a trip. Low is good for close up use and reading, going about the house. Low is just about perfect for looking around for something when I first wake up in the dark. Longer runs.

L2 - good for walking, working. Low is good for walking outdoors, working on something, bright is good for looking around the yard. Longer runs.

L4 - looks exactly the same as my L2 on high. Both of which gets a little warm on long runs. Easier to carry. Might be good as an inspection light or backup LEO light where you need lots of light to check something out or search a car or dwelling for a short period.

I don't use a light enough to use rechargeables. The self discharge rate runs them out before I do. I tend to use shorter burst and use a lot of different lights. I have the L1, L2, and L4 plus many others (mainly surefire) and I keep coming back to the A2. It's a light that seems to really fit my uses.