the Thor 15 Mcp light

Scoob

Newly Enlightened
I saw it on the cyclops solutions sight about a week ago, but I also couldn't find any info on it. The body looks the same as the Thor-X, but the reflector is much bigger... maybe 10, or 11 inches!

ledebuhr1

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking if it ran a true 100w with a larger reflector, would that be like the mod kit available on this site?

Scoob

Newly Enlightened
No...the mod kit boosts the battery voltage to 15, or 16 volts which overdrives the bulb to the brink of flashing... If you get the mod... you had better get a couple more bulbs! (just in case)

*Retired*
Actually, I've ran the same bulb through dozens of discharges so far, and have yet to burn out the filament in the 2X version of the mod, which is a regulated 15V with soft start. In reality, it is only a 20% overdrive, power wise. The bulb in a stock THOR is actually 20% underdriven in moments (and is never properly driven to spec), then it just heads out to pasture over the next 40 minutes.

In otherwords, it's a sleeper or a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The 3X Mod which I'm not going to sell, but you can alter the board at your own risk, will take it to 16V, will flash bulbs.

Scoob

Newly Enlightened
Newbie,
knowing myself... I would be popping bulbs, trying to see how far I could push it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (just a little bit more...POP...damn)

Skibane

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ledebuhr1 said:
I was thinking if it ran a true 100w with a larger reflector, would that be like the mod kit available on this site?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, the only change from the 10 MCP version is a larger reflector. The bulb and batteries are probably the same, so it's still going to be rather inefficient in factory trim (13.2 volt bulb only being driven at approx. 12 volts).

BTW, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use NewBie's booster design in this new model. With the increased case size, there should be plenty of room inside for the booster board!

dg

Newly Enlightened
Will it really run for an hour on one charge? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

cy

Flashaholic
has any tried those philips H4 bulbs that claim 20% increase in output?

dg

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
has any tried those philips H4 bulbs that claim 20% increase in output?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have these in my car - they are not actually brighter, but the light is 'whiter' so they appear brighter.

I also have one in a similar 5m CP spotlight

*Retired*
The bulb in the THOR is already way above those Sylvannia XtraVision +80% types. There is only one bulb that I've tested that has higher output, and that is a Narva, which is made by Phillips anyhow, and it is only minimally better.

Look in my THOR information thread.

Skibane

Enlightened
thor15mcp7ou.jpg

Looks like they just tacked a black plastic extension on the end of the existing enclosure.

stretchthor2sl.jpg

Can a "50 Million Candlepower" 18-inch model be far off? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still, a very nice size reflector.

dg,
no, this light will not run for one hour, but an HID mod will let it run for nearly 2 hours. Stupid bright, stupid long, a very nice combo. Newbie's mod would make it insane bright, which for a CPF member is even better.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see NorthernTool has them listed on line now but no picture or specs $79.99

Kelly