• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Sold/Closed FS---Mag Mods--

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please see the Lamps/Reflectors thread for more info.

I have supplies to build each of these mods now that Wayne has reopened the 3-to-D adaptor purchase.

Since each variant will require pricing dependant on your needs, please PM me for prices.

I will post Turnkey prices shortly in this post, each Turnkey will consist of a Carley Reflector, 2 bulbs for the chosen mod, Elektrolumens 3-to-D's for the mod, and the appropriate body. In the case of the Mag60, it will also include 5 1/2D Aero NiMH cells or 1/2D cell stick to run in a 3D or MagCharger body if you so desire.

I may have a limited number of bulbs available after the TK's are produced for sale and will post that then.

UCL or Borofloat lenses may be purchased from flashlightlens.com. I have a couple and will sell to the first few TK's ordered at $8.00 each.

Turnkey 2D-May use 1111, 1160, 1274.
Includes body, reflector, 2 3AA-to-D's, 2 bulbs of your choice.
$75.00

Turnkey 3D-May use 1111, 1160 (with 5 1/2D's if you desire at additional cost), 1185, 1274.
Includes body, reflector, 3 3AA-to-D's, 2 bulbs of your choice.
$85.00

Turnkey Magcharger with modifications to allow charging in body, supplies as above, minus reflector.
$180.00

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag Mods--Mag11, Mag60, Mag74, and Mag85

I've had some questions about individual parts:

For now, I prefer to sell Turnkey units to those who don't want to or can't assemble their own packages.

If I don't sell what I have in that way, I may open it up later.

Bill

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was wondering when someone was going to cover the incandescant modding for maggs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

bwaites, can you run 12 rechargible AA's in a Mag 85 3D?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

thesurefire,

I am unsure if you mean, "will they fit" or "will they make the 1185 bulb incredibly bright"?

With a 4AA to D holder you could get some varieties of AA's in, but they would toast the 1185 bulb instantly.

Bill

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was asking if 12 AA's would toast the bulb.

How much is the mag85 if using a 3D setup?

udaman

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
thesurefire said:
I was asking if 12 AA's would toast the bulb.

How much is the mag85 if using a 3D setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah TSF, bwaites suffers from the dreaded CPF 'jaded/experience/lots-of-time-spent-on-CPF syndrome' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Meaning, he knows what he is talking about as do others with much knowledge memorized; but he doesn't take into account that others lack this knowledge.

from bwaites post:

"Turnkey 3D-May use 1111, 1160 (with 5 1/2D's if you desire at additional cost), 1185, 1274.
Includes body, reflector, 3 3AA-to-D's, 2 bulbs of your choice.
$85.00"

In other words, for $85, you get the entire flashlight with everything you need included, except for the AA NiMH batteries you need to buy. It should be mentioned you do not want to use alkaline batteries in some of these multi-cell uses as alkaline batteries have higher voltage than NiMH, and can therefore instaflash some of these bulbs.

Ginseng has said before that 10 AA NiMH cells will result in approximately a 30% instaflash rate using the WA1185 because this bulb is rated for 9.6v and does not tolerate a lot of overdrive, due to the fact that it has a rated lifespan of 50hrs at 9.6v(which Ginseng would say, means that at rated voltage this bulb is already running in a "pre-overdrive" mode). But in the above example that bwaites is offering, with 3 of the 3AA-D adapters from Electrolumens, you would be installing a total of 9 NiMH AA's to get 1.2 x 9 = 10.8v, but AA NiMH's will charge up to 1.45v right off the charger and drop down to about 1.38v within an hour or so of charging.

Bwaites is assuming what he is offering, the bulbs, and everything else; that you are already well informed as to what these all are. His post is addressed to the intermediate to advanced level user who knows all about the options listed. For you or others, it is very easy for me to see at least, how confusing these offerings are. The WA1111 is a 6v bulb, if you try to power this bulb up in a M*g3D with 9 AA NiMH cells, that have the ability to supply high enough current to the bulb; you will instaflash these bulbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The WA1274's are 7.2v bulbs, I will let bwaites explain if he so wishes, otherwise you will need to do some research on all of these combinations on various CPF threads.

It should be mentioned that the Carley reflectors being offered here in these TK lights, DO NOT retain the patented quick focusing 'cammed' operation of the unmodified M*glites. If you want a metal reflector that retains cammed operation, you will have to watch the B/S/T forum for fivemega's upcoming metal reflectors for the M*glites.

Another point of confusion in bwaites post for those who are not more knowledgeable, is that when he mentions that the M*gCharger option is modified to allow charging on the M*gChr cradle(in the body), I believe what he is referring to is modifying the M*gChr charging cradle to be able to charge the 9 AA NiMH cells while they are inside the M*gChr, with the 3 EL 3AA-D adapters installed.

Is that confusing enough for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill, what would be the brightest possable $85 package? i have no clue about incans as far as bulb #'s like 1111, 1160, etc. are these hosts internally modified or just some 3toD adapters and beefier bulbs?

Shane

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

The most lumens would be the turnkey 3D with the WA1185 and the three 3toD adapters.

Edited to change brightest to most lumens.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry Guys,

Udaman is correct, I posted this assuming those looking for this type of setup were already familiar with it.

In order of brightness:
Mag60-5 volt bulb overdriven at 6 volts with 5 NiMh cells.(can use 5AA's with one dummy cell in 2 3AA-to-D holders, in a 2D Mag body or 5 1/2D's in a 3D or MagCharger body)

Mag11-6 Volt bulb overdriven at 7.2 volts with 6AA cells in 2 3AA-to-D holders in 2D or 3D or MagCharger body.

Mag74-7.2 Volt bulb overdriven to 8.4 volts with 7AA cells in 3 3AA-to-D holders using 2 dummy cells in a 3D or MagCharger body.

Mag85-9.6 volt bulb overdriven to 10.8 volts with 9AA cells in 3 3AA-to-D holders in a Mag3D or MagCharger body.

The MagCharger body allows recharging on the MagCharger cradle and the the cradle will be modified to charge the batteries of choice.

The Carleys do not retain the cam focusing system, but can be focused using the threaded head.

Bill

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

What's the runtime one would expect on the Mag85? Bill, this is the one that you and I have been having conversations about.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Using 2000Mah good quality cells, approx. 30-40 minutes.

Cells will actually improve some as they break in, and run time will rise a little.

Bill

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS---Mag Mods--Mag11, Mag60, Mag74, and Mag85

[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Since each variant will require pricing dependant on your needs, please PM me for prices.
Bill

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Does this mean that a Mag85 in a 3D is $85 as seen below, or does this mean that i should pm him and it might be more or less?

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
jdriller said:
The most lumens would be the turnkey 3D with the WA1185 and the three 3toD adapters.

Edited to change brightest to most lumens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, Then i'll take one of those. preferably in pewter, if Bill can wait till Jan 7'th for the paypal.

Shane

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see that this thread is closed, but if you make more can I be first in line for a Mag 85 3D?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 1185 bulbs have all been ordered.

If someone does not come through, check back with the lamp/reflector thread.

Bill