IS there a light stronger than Pelican M6

matt_j

Enlightened
but with about the same bulb life? I know that regardless I will go thru batteries like crazy but changing a light bulb every 2-3 hrs of use got me little worried.

Thanks and Merry Christmas...

Matt

matt_j

Enlightened
I use my light about .5-1 hr at the time... Last nigth on the highway job my pelican was on for 2 hours...

I just need something of the same size, with more light power..

Matt

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
If I can add a question - is there something in the power range of a Pelican M6 or a Streamlight TL-3 which uses standard batteries (Like AA's) and is somewhat pocketable

How would a 2D Mag with 6 Nicad AA's in 3 to D adapters compare using a 6 D Maglight or maybe the Pelican big D bulb? (ok, so maybe I'm thinking coat pocket)

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
twentysixtwo said:
If I can add a question - is there something in the power range of a Pelican M6 or a Streamlight TL-3 which uses standard batteries (Like AA's) and is somewhat pocketable

How would a 2D Mag with 6 Nicad AA's in 3 to D adapters compare using a 6 D Maglight or maybe the Pelican big D bulb? (ok, so maybe I'm thinking coat pocket)

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a Surge if that's to big try a Tec 40

Quickbeam's reviews of the Surge and the Tec 40

Matt sorry for going OT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you guys are using batteries that fast have you considered a rechargeable- Strion or Stinger or even a MagCharger?

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
2aa with that kind of brightness would give a very short runtime, plus a lot of the high powered SF bulbs need a much higher voltage to run 6 or more volts. The only way to achieve
this is to use C size cells maybe a 3C Maglight with a nice bulb and a UCL lens.

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
Bah! I got 4 TEC 40s for the shooting instructors over here.
I think they make terrible light compared to a PELI M6!
Just a question. Can I get in trouble when I say that TAC 40s are flashlights for Mickey Mouse?
I would never use them for service! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

If you get a SureFire 6P from Johns ebay shop u pay around 50$ and get lot of P60 lamps for around 10$.
I think the SureFire lamps doesnt really have a shorter live than the Peli lamps.
I had 2 lamps for 2 years of service. And I smashed laminated glass with that light and dropped it out of a driving car. The lamp survived it all (well the head was pretty dead after that haha)!

I wish we had these prices over here. A P6 takes 110,00 € and a stupid P60 is up to 30,00 € *argh*.
Imagine that! 150,00 US $ for a simple 6P!

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bjn70 said:
If you guys are using batteries that fast have you considered a rechargeable- Strion or Stinger or even a MagCharger?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm affraid that I may be extended or use my light too much whcih would drain the batteries and having no charger I would be stuck in the darkness. Perfect example: blackout. I went thru box of batteries but I was operational.

Matt

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
My preference is for lights that take both rechargeables and primary cells. Sounds like you're about ready to step up to the 100+ lumen level, which is a candidate for 3 cells.

A 3-cell Surefire would be the ticket, because you can load 2 x Pila 150S into it, and when those run out, simply pour them out and put in 3 x CR123. No lamp tricks. No messing with the front end.

SF lamp life in general won't leave you changing bulbs every 2-3 hours. 25 hours minimum, of course, you test your bulbs first before you move out. Almost sounds like you need a LED, actually... (except it may not be suitable depending on your specific needs).

MoonRise

Enlightened
Size, output, runtime : pick two that you want and the third goes the wrong way.

Example. Small size and high output means short runtime. Long runtime and high output means big size. Small size and long runtime means small output.

There are many lights that can put out more light than a Pelican M6. If you need more light and more runtime, you'll pretty much have to go up in size.

By more light, do mean more throw or more total lumen output? Do you need a tight spot light to reach out far, or do you need a bright medium range flood of light?

Are you totally unsupported with this light (belt or pack carry), or are you near a support vehicle? A rechargable with a spare battery pack and an in-vehicle charger (or just an inexpensive inverter to plug the charger wall-wart into would work) might be the way to go.

Incan or LED? An EL Hyper-Blaster runs for what, 8 hours on high off of 2 D cells. An EL Blaster3P runs on high (to 50% output) for 24 hours off of 3 D cells. An EL Tri-Star Phazer runs 8 hours off of 4 C cells. A Surefire L2 2x123 on high (100 lumens) puts out more lumens than a PM6, but is more of a medium flood than the PM6 tighter spot. On low (15 lumens), the L2 runs for 18 hours. A Surefire L7 LED rechargable gives you 2+ hours of 75 lumen light, then swap battery packs. A Pila G3-series lets you run off of 2xLi-ion rechargables OR 3x123 with 130 lumens (rated) output for 50 minutes (incan) or you can run the 5 lumen tailcap for 60 hours. Or you can have a half dozen PT40 (not a good light for LEO prime light, but they are decent inexpensive lights with pretty good output and a usually pretty good beam) loaded with 4xAA lithiums and just grab a new light when the one in use dims.

There are many choices, you have to decide what you want and what you need.

matt_j

Enlightened
well my idea was to keep the light the same size as m6 but with higher output. I also contemplated a car charger to follow the advices on getting rechargable unit but I already got way too many things to worry about and carry plus some of our rigs have adapters that are broken.

I use inova x5 for the flood light when working in confined spaces... easy on the eyes, small and nicely balanced...

I use M6 for everything else but my replacement light should have focused beam and be powerful. I know that a lot of guys carry maglights or lig/baton combo for self defense but I be pretty happy with just a regular light. I don't use my light to break windows or gain access since thats what boots or window punch is for.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.... I own a G2+P61 and it packs a serious punch! 120 lumens! The problem is the runtime. I only use it in short 2-10 second intervals and use my e2e or e1e for closer stuff.

-tom

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of us who don't have an M6, can you describe the desired dimensions of a light you would want to carry?

All my maggmods are a wee bit too big for your description.
Even my 3c is 11 inches long by 2.2 inches wide at the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
There must be someone who has an answer.
Perhaps a call or email to some of the supporting cpf dealers in the banners forum may be able to yield an answer.

matt_j

Enlightened
m6.jpg

Light is a bit shy of 6 inches... I want to keep it about that size anything bigger than that becomes a problem.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moonrise puts it very well.

The one exception might be the U2. It is a little bigger, but has better run time, puts out 80 lumens wide open, and can be adjusted to lower outputs.

Bill

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the Strion has a little more throw than the Pelican M6... but for $80-$100. rechargable tho.

Edit:
actually, you didn't wanna go that route, right?

would you feel vulnerable with only a small luxeon light like the Tektite Splash Lite luxeon for back up?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
i think the Strion has a little more throw than the Pelican M6...

[/ QUOTE ]

In my tests the PM6 outthrew the Strion significantly and remained brighter for approx the first 35-40 minutes. Here is BROCK's runtime chart comparing the PM6 to other lights:

2cell.gif

Brightnorm