L2 vs U2 vs A2 vs HDS

dandruff

Enlightened
its that time again when one (financially "un"-secure) begins to seriously consider getting a new light.

so who better to ask then all the cpfers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

basically im looking at a new light with variable output. size isnt a major concern, it just has to be resonably pocketable.so my contenders are: SF U2, SF L2, SF A2, and HDS Ultimate.

one specific concern i have is throw. how do all these lights stack up against each other? i do like em' throwy lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

these are my thoughts currently:

SF U2
+ Bright
+ 6 levels of brightness
- big
- ugly (heh sorry)

SF L2
+ bright
+ looks cool
+ the slim form factor, its length doesnt bother me too much
- only 2 levels

SF A2
+ small (relative) size
+ a good thrower?
- incandescent could be unreliable
- only rated at 50 lumens

HDS Ultimate
+ small
+ all those extra features (strobe etc)
- will it ever materialize???

please post your thoughts!

sithjedi333

Enlightened
If you want throw, look at the Mcgizmo Aleph. You can tune the emitter, reflector size and current to match your needs for throw.

I will probably pick up an HDS, when it comes out, for EDC carry and keep my Fire~Fly II or get a CR2 Ion for keychain backup. A U2 would be great too for a general utility light. Although throw lights are fun, floods are much more useful for most tasks.

AlecGold

Enlightened
IMHO has my A2 not as much throw as my U2. And it has 100 lumen. or 80. That's not for sure.
but the u2 has a bigger reflector=better throw. And the u2 has less distortion/more egal sidespil. although the A2 not much distorted is, the leds do interfere a bit.

The A2 is now used specificly for hunting: it has red leds and the U2 with a red filter uses more power to generate the same amount of red light with a filter. (third setting)

RayT

Newly Enlightened
HDS = Vaporware and has been for months. Not an option.

A2 = Good throw with incandescent, LED light is dim (supposed to be), good size.

U2 = Good throw, almost as much as A2, multiple level are very nice, larger than A2.

Given a choice I would pick the U2 over the A2. Don't consider the HDS as it may never appear.

paulr

Flashaholic
None of those lights are really throw monsters. An Aleph 3 may outthrow all of them.

kj

Enlightened
I agree with AlexGold that the throw of A2 is similar to U2. As sithjedi333 suggested, McGizmo Aleph can be a good choice if your primary interest is throw and you are okay with custom/mod. MR Bulk's LionHeart also outthrows A2, U2 and L2 and has variable outputs.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
kj, AlecGold, thanks - that is very valuable information for me. I always thought the A2 would outthrow the U2. Interesting.. in that case I'm no longer tempted to get the A2 since I already have the U2.

Must....not....spend.....more.....$$$$$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dandruff

Enlightened
thanks so far guys

throw is not of ABSOLUTE importance. but how does the U2 compare with the L2?

im not too familiar with modded lights but ill give the aleph a look.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'd give some thought to this light running on rechargeable cells. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

That narrow the field to hds/u2.

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinions:

U2:

+versatile
+bright
+long runtime on low
+six settings
+excellent balanced beam
+good tint
+very nice looking

L2:
+versatile
+bright
+long runtime on low
+2 settings
+excellent flood beam
+good to excellent tint
-Slightly homely / ugly looking

HDS:

Don't own yet , but my impressions based on looks and specs:
+size
+size:eek:utput ratio
+options to buy simpler models (Basic)
+versatility/multiple settings
-Beyond "butt ugly"
-Way too aggressive knurdling for my liking

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I thought I'd narrowed down my selection of lights to choosing between the L2, the L4, and the L1, with the nod going to the L2, in another thread. But tonight my wife suggested that I might consider the U2 instead. No! What to do?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif (but in a good way!)

I really want a light that's pretty easy to carry in a front shirt pocket, or possibly a pants pocket sometimes. How does the U2 fair for EDC'ability? It's slightly shorter than the L2, I know, but the bezel looks lots bigger.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
The HDS is vaporware as of this writing.
I've never seen or used a U2.
The A2 is a great light.

Neither the A2 or U2 is a pocket-carry light in my opinion (pant pockets). Assuming the HDS product is similiar in size to the Arc4+, that may be your best bet.

Jetrider

Newly Enlightened
Newbie question:
Ok someone correct me plz, but the U2/L4/L2 all use the same 5w led right? so what is it that causes each light to produce different lumen ratings? different converters?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cheers
J.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife was kind enough to buy me a "light" for Xmas;

After looking at my options, purched an Aleph 2 1x123 in Ha-Nat w/tritium; very easy to carry, 2 level and very good throw..........seems as if it would fit your budget? There are many configurations to choose. McGizmo = super light.

I also purchased recently a CPF LionHeart and it is small, great finish, many light levels, very good throw for size; believe there are still a few available. Mr. Bulk is outstanding!!

I have a SureFire L2, it is a nice light, very bright; much prefer either of the above. Note that the L2 is a 2x123 light, so larger than both the above by over an 1".

I perceive that the LionHeart is "brighter" with throw about = to L2 (remember also all the levels of adjustment (64).
The L2 seems to have SLIGHLY more throw than the Aleph (1x123), but the Aleph is much more compact, much better made, much "cooler" and you could get an Aleph with 2x123, would be about the same size as L2 and would certainly have more throw.

just my observations & 2cents worth. (will post pix if you want?)

jeffb
-------------------------------------------------
Lion Heart CPF, Aleph2, SureFireL2, QIII, Peak Mckinley (7)

greenLED

Flashaholic
I saw the U2 last week, it's significantly larger than the L1/2/4. I wouldn't carry it "in a front shirt pocket" like you want. Pockets... it'd take some getting used to. Personally, I already carry too much crap in my pant pockets to fit a U2.

kj

Enlightened
L2, U2 and L4
L2_U2_L4.jpg

U2 has a larger diameter than L1/L2/L4 and A2.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my U2 in my front pants pocket. In a pair of khaki's, it's hardly noticeable. I do think it's too big for shirt pocket carry unless you've got something like a photographer's vest.