Is there a 2x123 light with 100 lumens or more?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just wondering whether there is a light that runs on 2x123 and can emit up to 100 lumens. If more, even better. Are there any 2 cell 5 watters? Or anything as bright?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
As for 5w'ers, there are the SureFire KL-4, the Nuwai ALX-352L and the Nuwai TM-116X. Bothe of the Nuwai are advertised to be 120 lumens.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
The Laser Devices OP-6 puts out 95 lumens. I have one and I carry them in inventory and they are great but not cheap.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags,

The real answer so far as LEDs is NO. Even the U2 only puts out 80 lumens. The Nuwais advertise it, but they are generally believed to be optimistic.

So far as incandescents are concerned, the Surefire P61 lamp puts out 120 lumens for 20 minutes on 2 123's. There probably are a few others, but that one is the obvious one.

Bill

cy

Flashaholic
Re: Is there a 2x123 light with 100 lumens or more

Any Xbin will be putting out 100+ lumens out the front end, no sweat!

Xbins are rated for 192-248 lumens at the rated current, overdriven to 1.5amps like MR-X even more.

taking lower end of 192 lumens less transmission and heat loss of 35% still gives 125 lumens.

MR-X barely gets warm after 45minute continous run indicating less heat related lumen loss, combined with 52mm reflector = less transmission & heat loss. probably 25% would be more fair.

based upon side by side tests, my MR-X output is close to M6 w/lola.

luxeon lottery weights heavily upon total lumen output. U2's carefully thought out heatsinking and transmission loss could be low as 25-30%.

My U2 is brighter than two of my Xbins. I would have to guesstimate my U2's output at 150+ lumens, probably more.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yet Surefire only rates them at 80 lumens?

Even being conservative and allowing for differences in the Luxeons, that seems a little out of line, don't you think?

Bill

cy

Flashaholic

surefire has a reputation for being conservative with ratings. VS Newai stretching spec's by quoting what the lux is rated instead of what comes out the front end.

125 lumens less 35% for transmission & heat loss = 81 lumens. but that's being extremely generous. losses is probably closer to 40%. 35% is factoring UCL, low loss reflector and excellent heatsinking.

finding Wbins much less Xbins sends you on a quest.

if you are in Surefire position of having to meet production quotas. to end up with 100 lumens after factorings in real life transmission and optics losses, you would need at least Wbins.

coming up with these higher 5watts bins in production numbers that Surefire needs. I believe Surefire downgraded to 80 lumens, so they have the option of using Vbins. if production of Wbins is lacking.

if memory serves me, Mr. Bulk sent in a Space Needle II which turned in 213 lumens. My MR-X puts out almost the same output as M6 lola.

without sending your light for integrated sphere test, it's dificult at best to estimate lumens. however doing side by side tests, it's easy to tell which light is putting out more lumens.

My U2 puts out more lumens than two of my Xbins. So based upon side by side comparisons with 4 xbins. my U2 is conservatively putting out 150+ lumens. probably more.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

cy, is there a way to buy the space needle II? I have seen pics of it and it runs on AA's correct? a light that is bright and runs on AA's is fine by me. Made by Mr Bulk right?

cy

Flashaholic

TIN just sold a space needle II not too long ago. They are very rare!

You need to get TIN to weigh in as I have not had the privilage of holding one of those.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one of the last SNII's made by MrBulk.

Very bright HID tinted LuxV. It puts out around 200 lumens when compared with my 200 lumen Z3, but comparing incans and LED's is always iffy at best. It is EASILY twice as bright as my VIPBH on high, my M6LED, or any of the other LED's I've seen.

That said, it is a direct drive light on 9 volts (3 123's or 6 AA's). I obviously haven't seen every U2, but the ones I have seen aren't close to the SpaceNeedleII.

As for running on AA's, it does, but only if you bought the Assault'nBatteries tail piece. It then runs on 6 AA's of either the Alkaline or NIMH kind. However, only SOME NiMh are skinny enough to fit, (ask me how I know!)

Bill

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could actually make one yourself with skill and patience.
A Spaceneedle2 is a 3 cr123 batteried light though.

A 3 watt premium bin (TWOJ, TWOH) luxeon3 can come close to 100 lumens at 1000-1200 millamps if you want to try something like that from someone.
There are several modders here that may help you out with something like that to run off of 2 cr123's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Nuwai ALX-352L is 'rated' at 120 lumens. It's a 5W luxeon with regulated voltage on all settings. It also takes rechargeable protected and unprotected 123 batteries.

MoonRise

Enlightened

Surefire L2, 2x123, rated at 100 lumens on high, 5w luxeon.

The 2x123 Surefire P61 HOLA is 120 lumens (for 20 minutes).

Run a W-bin or X-bin Lux-V off a boost circuit (Fatman comes to mind) off of 2x123, well heatsinked, at 1+ amp to the LED and you'll have 100+ lumens out.

Move up in size to 3x123, and there are more players that can do 100+ lumens.

Remember that lumens is total light output, brightness is something else. A laser beam is very bright, but has very little lumens output. A hundred lumens spread out over a large area is not going to be very bright. Picture an ordinary household light bulb, let's say a 100 watt bulb. Typical 100 watt bulbs put out around 1600 lumens or so. Now try to light up an entire auditorium or conference hall or stadium with the light output from that one bulb. Although the bulb is pretty bright, the area will be pretty dim because the light (lumens) has to be spread around the large area.