Help Nuwai reflector off center

maninblack

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Nuwai QIII that I purchased on ebay and I got a very white very bright one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. There is one small problem, the reflector is off center pretty bad and I want to fix it. I remember a post where someone described a way to remove the reflector. I searched quite a bit but can't find it. I think it had something to do with putting the bezel in a baggie and boiling the sealed baggie. I would appreciate it if someone could help me with a little advice. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember something about a small unnoticable seam in the bezel. You may need a wrench to screw it off, but you can try to use what I call the rubber band technique which you probably kbnow. Wrap a rubber band on the opposite sides of the seam and twist. It might or might not work.

maninblack

Newly Enlightened
I should be more clear. I got the bezel off of the body of the light, but the reflector is glued into the bezel somehow.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the reflector is actually screwed in. Are you sure its the reflector thats off center, or is it the LED? I've read that all of them ahve an off-center LED.

maninblack

Newly Enlightened
It may be a combination of both being off center. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector is a one piece ,threaded unit that uses the same threads in the bezel that is attached to the body.

These threads are locked with a little epoxy.

I tried all the suggested methods as stated in other posts and none of them worked for me.

I used a little heat from a micro torch and was able to unscrew the bezel with my fingers.

The lux III is a star and it 'floats' on an aluminum heat sink. Its centering will be self explanatory when disassembled.
Good luck.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Mine is slightly off center too, but in no way affects the beam. Quickbeam's QIII had the same issue, but he says it can't be fixed. Here's a link to his review

Since mine works fine as it is, I haven't attempted to remove the head yet, but you can boil the flashlight in a bag to loosen the epoxy. Just follow Cone's instructions in this review.

Let us know how yours turns out.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just substituted a nice little TWOJ Luxeon (Thanks Litfuse!) for the SYAK my Q3 came with. On intial re-assembly, the LED was slightly off-center, and so was the hot spot. Looking closely, I could see that one of the wire leads soldered to the Luxeon was too close to the periphery, and the retaining ring was hitting this wire first on one side, instead of evenly hitting the PCB all around. I resoldered the lead a bit more inboard, and now it clears the retaining ring, and the LED is centered. Check yours to see that the retaining ring is not hitting the wire first.

Oh yeah - the beam is now very white (was a bit violet) and a little brighter too. My first mod, and quite gratifying! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif