If you could buy any EDC flashlight you wanted...

Freedom1955

Enlightened
What would it be and why would you want that particular flashlight.

I'm looking for ideas as I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket. I'm thinking of one of those LionHearts. I'm a little apprehensive about flashlights that use rechargeable batteries though.

My Nuwai is my edc right now, it's great.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: If you could buy any EDC flashlight you wanted

It's a little big, but I like the SF L4. Reasonably compact, throws a nice, bright, wide beam. It's not a thrower, but it sure is a great area light. Clips inside my jeans pocket very nicely.

I'll have to see how it compares to the Lionheart when mine shows up.

Mike

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

A Lionheart would make for an excellent EDC. I got mine about two weeks ago and I am still on the first battery./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I use it for at least 10-15 minutes a day, but with the lower levels being used most frequently, it runs forever on a charge. The only thing that is lacking is a perfect beam, but I have been spoiled by the VIP with the Bulkhead. The VIP is an awesome light and the one I use the most. I use it mainly on the medium level, and it seems to run forever. It is bright enough for just about anything except for burning holes in the wall.

Sixpointone

Enlightened

For me personally, I have the light I want, :-D.

It is a Surefire L4, with the McGizmo Trim Tailcap with 22 ohm.

It both works and looks incredible. And though I mainly use the low setting, I love knowing I could use it on full power.

For me, that combined with the size make it my ideal light.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the Longbow Micra, My favorite is the Longbow eco
which I have, It was only 1 watt, it uses the most commonly available AA cells runs well on Rechargeable cells, however I do have a 3 watt capsule that I use if I want a small high powered Flashlight.

Longbow

Enlightened

I like the Longbow Micra too. I have both the twisty and clickie, though prefer the twisty because the clickie is VERY stiff. Recently I've been ECDing an Inova T1. It's bright, carries well, nice switch, and boasts fit, finish, and machining quality which rivals any custom built light, (inspect one, you'll see what I mean).

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wanted, and finally borke down, for a Surefire C3 in HA. It's the biggest light that i want to carry in a pocket with a clip, has the "wall-o-light" effect with the P91 LA, combat grip, HA finish, Pyrez lense and all the good stuff, and only if it can get here already....

Nick

CQB

Enlightened

this question is ALWAYS on my mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just when I think I've finally decided on ONE type of FL to EDC I learn about an entirely NEW one that changes my mind completely! Augh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

(*ahem*)

that being said, I do have my two-cents for your question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

after playing with several FLs so far (while indoors & outdoors) I've found that for EDCing, I prefer a "small form" (ie. 2x123) flashlight. And this FL has to have a beam with "some" side-spill (for upclose tasks) but also has to have decent-to-excellent throw (for distance lighting).

It's the classic argument: flood or throw? For me, I prefer throw with some side spill. Others might prefer side-spill with some throw. To each their own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For me, I can make do with "some" side spill for close up tasks. But if a beam simply does not have enough throw, then there's only so much you can do to try to make that particular beam work for you when you're trying to light up something far away from ya, eh?

As per my sig, I EDC an Aleph III-HA (DB1000 TWOK) hosted on a SF E2o-HA. With this piece of kit, I have the 2x123 form whose beam provides modest side-spill AND (of course) provides major kick-*** throw!! Woo-hoo!! I am considering upgrading to a 3x123 form as well for longer runtime.

So IMHO I've found the "perfect" EDC (for my preferences & applications) in the Aleph III. I know the other Aleph heads are smaller & therefore, more pocketable or more EDCable. But I still find the Aleph III head "not that big"... and on an E-series light it's still very compact. Plus the fact it's a luxeon led (that's regulated!!) gives me peace of mind with respect to reliability (no bulbs to replace) and regulation (even output over the life of the batts). It cost me a fair bit of coin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif but it was well worth it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

FYI - you cant really tell the power of the Aleph III during the day. The beam's awesome power is more evident at night. It's like the Aleph III gets "stronger" as it gets darker! heheheh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif Tonight, it was very foggy by the time I got off shift. My A3 just blasts holes in the dark through the fog!! It's almost UNreal seeing the amount of light that comes out of this little flashlight, heheh. I use my SF L7 for close-up / indoor tasks and I keep the A3 for outdoor / distance lighting.

The Aleph III. My "bestest, most favorite-est, & coolest" EDC! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CQB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic

I find myself also pondering the question of the most useful light for my work.

I started with a MiniMag 2AA. It worked quite well, but the beam and run time was awful.

The ARC LSH-P has the perfect amount of spill and hot spot and a beautiful tint. With the 2AA body, it fits well in the hand. I use that light a lot, but it lacks throw.

Looking for more throw led me to the L4. I added a 10 ohm McE2 tail cap and run on Pila's. This light gave me two levels of illumination and a decent spill, but even on high it is lacking throw. I like this combination a lot.

I often find myself trying to lighten up shadows in the daylight. This takes a lot of light and I am not sure LED's are up to the task. I ended up with an 8NX and it does this job very well, and is not too big to carry. SureFire seems to have figured out the problems with the earlier B90 battery packs and charger, and I have been quite pleased with the performance of mine. For now, this is my ultimate "daytime light up the shadows" light. A bit yellow, but a nice beam combination of spill and hot spot. (Throw a turbo head on it and it really shines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

As the sun sets, I find the 8NX too bright and glaring for medium close work with slightly night adjusted eyes. I switch to one of two lights. The LionHeart if I am not wearing gloves, or the U2 if I am.

The LionHeart is both brighter and dimmer than the U2, but the U2 throws a nice volume of light. My favorite is the LionHeart, but I realy like the U2 as well.

I have been looking at the Aleph III...

Tom

Here are some of my favorite EDC's: I change my EDC frequently.

(1) LionHeart
(2) Aleph2-1x123-McE2S-T
(3) E1e-KL1
(4) CNC-123
(5) Peak McKinley Stainless Steel
(6) VIP with Twisty
(7) Inova T1
(8) Orb with New Switch

Zigzago

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
arewethereyetdad said:
Here are some of my favorite EDC's: I change my EDC frequently.

(1) LionHeart
(2) Aleph2-1x123-McE2S-T
(3) E1e-KL1
(4) CNC-123
(5) Peak McKinley Stainless Steel
(6) VIP with Twisty
(7) Inova T1
(8) Orb with New Switch

[/ QUOTE ]

You lucky b******! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I could afford it I think I'd get an Aleph2 1x123 with the 2 stage switch.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

These are my top five:

1) CPF SE LionHeart
2) Surefire U2
3) Surefire Z3/P91
4) Surefire A2/red
5) Infinity Red LED

What I really want for an EDC is a LionHeart with 200+ lumens at the top end like the Z3, the beam quality of the U2, the built-in dual color ability of the A2, and the nice, uniform red beam of the original Infinity. That would be just about perfect!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your's is a most wondrous, perfect, fantasy, codeman. If that dream light becomes available it may be perfectly unaffordable. But, heck yes, all that in a small EDC would be my dream too.

Freedom1955

Enlightened

Thanks for all the replies! I was seriously considering the Lionheart then after CQB's post I wanted the Aleph 111, but after finding the SF U2 on sale for $199.99 I had to have it. It's ordered, now I'm looking at a couple 168a Pilas and charger.
I'm set for awhile but I'll be looking for my next aquesition...

CQB

Enlightened

Glad you found a great EDC for yourself, MLong! You cant go wrong with the SF U2 - and at such a great deal as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

After reading the other posts I am in total agreement that there are many FLs that are EDC-able, and it all depends on what type of lighting the user prefers. Sometimes we want the penetrating wall of light that only a high powered INCAN is able to provide. Other times we want the "real-white" beam for true-color rendition that only a luxeon LED can provide. We're also looking for either throw or flood or a bit of both, longer runtimes, higher outputs, smaller forms, clips, no clips, clickies, twisties.... it's endless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

... hence the compulsive and (sometimes) out-of-control collecting that "some" CPF-ers do, not unlike myself.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

PhantomZ

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MLong said:

I'm a little apprehensive about flashlights that use rechargeable batteries though.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing about rechargeable batteries like the Pilas are they will save you $$ in the long run. i find myself using my U2 more often (like playing with the brightness settings in the dark or walking in a room without turning the lights on just so i can use my light) without having to worry about wasting $$ on tons of batteries. i use my U2 more then the L2 now cause of the rechargeables. runtime with cr123 and rechargeables are pretty much the same.

tkgear

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is a LongBow Micra.

Its brighter than my E1E by far.

I used to carry around an L4, but I found that it was still too long to fit sideways at the bottom of my pocket.

The E1E fit, but wasn't bright enough for my needs.

I choose the twisty tailcap cause its shorter than the clicky.

Also, there's nothing like white light.

Plus if I ever get submerged in 250 feet of water, it'll still work!

chrisse242

Enlightened

I'd buy an HDS-EdC in a heartbeat if I had the money. For now my Arc4 works just fine.

Chrisse

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would get a HDS ultimate 60 to go with my basic 60. VDG