Portable Rechargeable Spotlights?

Avidangler2

Newly Enlightened
Hello All

Happened upon CP Forums while searching for info on my topic title. I'm impressed at the great community you have here and at what members have done to boost/improve the performance of their lights.

What I'm looking for in a light is a reliable, relatively compact, BRIGHT, 1 to 2 Million CP unit. A feature I would like is to be able to use the light after the battery has run down by plugging it into the 12 volt charging pigtail.

I bought a Vector VEC140C-WM 1mil cp unit at SprawlMart that looked good and had a bright beam but it can't be used while connected to the 12v charger. I had seen a Brinkmann Max Million II 2mil cp unit at the same store and seem to think I had read it could be used while on the 12v charger but the store doesn't have it in stock.

Anyone know about the Brinkmann lights & are they good for what you pay for them or are there any other brands I should consider that would meet my needs?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thor is the only light I've seen that allows use with an external 12 volt source and has a built in battery.
There are two inputs, one for charging and one for using the light.
This is a cheap addition if the light runs on 12 volts but if it's a six volt unit it would be more difficult and probably have litte demand.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm quite happy with my 1.5mcp aluminum Vector. It's got a built in battery and allows use/charging from any other 12v source. It wouldn't be hard to modify the light you already have to do this, just open it up and install some sort of power jack that connects to the bulb through the switch. Then just plug that into any 12v source.

Scoob

Newly Enlightened
Vector also makes a light sold at Home Depot, as a HUSKY. It's 2.25 MCP, 12V 100W, and also can be charged, and used at the same time from a 12 volt cig plug. I have it, and I love it. It's very bright, and a nice spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tried to put a link... but it just wouldn't take /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Avidangler2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, YardDog

Found the light on line but it says they're out of stock. Kinda weird, the description shows it as "weatherproof" and has a 100 watt bulb with a 12 volt battery but if you click on specifications it shows no water resistance & a 55 watt bulb with a 6 volt battery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I might run over to my local store & see if they have it anyway.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Husky 2.25 also. It is EXCELLENT. The only thing brighter for $25 is the THOR. And it is very rugged. I have done a 10ft. drop test onto cement and it passed with flying colors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just don't mess around with the worklight on the handle to much(twisting it, turning it excessively); that is prone to breaking. I would suggest you go and get one immedeatly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Avidangler2

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'll be doing a comparision between the Brinkmann 2MCP and the Husky 2.25MCP spotlights. My local SprawlMart is getting some Brinkmanns in a week or so and my local Home Depot has the Husky in stock. I'll report back with the results.

Avidangler2

Newly Enlightened
Well, I tested both out and took them both back. Both units were fully charged before testing according to the instructions they came with.

The Brinkman won in the throw test, it had a very bright, tightly focused spot that really reached out. Downside is that the housing is made out of fairly brittle plastic & therefore would not survive rough handling well and the light would shut off after being on constantly after 4-5 minutes.

The Husky's spot was not anywhere near as focused but worked good as an area flood. It may have been defective as it did not want to return to a full charge after being run down.

I had a unique opportunity to use both lights one night as I attempted to terminate a very large opossum from beneath my home. The damned thing had been interrupting my sleep banging around under the house on quite a few nights over the last 2-3 months and I finally said to hell with the neighbors.

I got my stainless ruger 10/22 out of the gunsafe and loaded the 10 round clip with CCI CB.22 subsonic rounds to keep the noise down and went to war. After being hit 5 times, the damn opossum was still alive and running around. I then reloaded with full power, hyper-velocity long rifle hollow points and stuck my head back under the house to re-locate the beast. As I swung the spot over to my right, I was greeted with the sight of a pissed off marsupial coming at me from about 10 feet with fifty needle sharp teeth. I quickly set the spot down and got off a snap shot before hastily withdrawing. After waiting a couple of minutes, I returned to find my shot had found its mark and my troubles were over - at least until the next time.

Damn those things are hard to kill!

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my 2 million cp vector when it was stock

it had a 100 watt h3 bulb with a 5.25 inch reflector.

removeable 3 ah battery(door with a thumb screw in the back of the light)

it also had a heavy duty little plug to atach a cigarete lighter cord to and with this you could use the light while it was plugged into your vehicle and charge the battery at the same time.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm.....not to hijack anything, but I think someone has my password and is using my name. I did not post that popcorn character above.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh......maybe I did. This is an older thread. Very sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the last sticker came off the side of it so
I do not know.

besides I think I am being made fun of in a thread
so I am not going to post for a while-
just in case I am doing something wrong and deserve it.

Avidangler2

Newly Enlightened
Right, Cheesehead. I forgot that you were there and witnessed the whole thing/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif. The friggin thing had 5 slugs in it and came at me making a hissing/growling noise while showing its teeth so STFU.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must have been some possum. I've killed them with a stick, but they must grow much larger in Northern Kalifornya, like your "happy cows" in the cheese commercials.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, sorry for the sarcasm, some supposedly timid animals can often be very aggressive. I've put 10 slugs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gifinto a Koala bear (on a hunting expedtion in Australia) and the thing fell out of the tree and almost ripped my leg off-it was terrifying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif.