Sharper Image 1-watt Luxeon?

JBL14

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the forum but not to collecting flashlights (I have an M2, E2e, E1, and G2 Nitrolon, among others). I've been buying a few LED flashlights recently, including a 1-watt Luxeon (30 lumens) at the Sharper Image store in Salt Lake City for $30 (I was hoping for an X03, but they were out of stock). The light uses a single 123 battery and has a click tailcap switch. It doesn't have a high-quality light pattern, but has a stated runtime of 2.5 hours and seems quite good for general-purpose use within, say, 30 feet. Does anyone know anything about this light (who makes it, for example)?

Also, I picked up a 3-watt Luxeon flashlight (uses two 123 batteries) at Sportsman's Warehouse ($30, marked down from $50). It says Sportsman's Warehouse on it and is green. It has low-beam and high-beam settings with a click tailcap switch. Does anyone have info on this light? It has a square pattern in the 'hot spot' and enough fill light to be somewhat useful for general use.

Skyline

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

If you do a search, there have been numerous posts regarding the Sharper Image light. It's actually a Nuwai I believe and it's a pretty good deal.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the sharper image luxeon light, a great EDC back up. Good size and good quality.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The small model is a good light. It is comparable in size to the Nuwai QIII that most of us rave about but with a little less light and a little more runtime, and a lower cost. Nuwai Makes a QI and my theory is that it is identical in size and performance to the Sharper Image light (which I DO have). Next I'll get a QIII to see how it compares. Either of these 1x123's makes a good every day carry light. The SI light has different external styling from the QIII and I haven't decided which I like better. Maybe it depends on the clothing and occasion.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like the Sharper Image 1 W light. You can get 2 of them for $40 with this coupon , and it is my 2ndary EDC (after the Dorcy 1 AAA). It has a white light and good brightness for a I W Luxeon.

I also have a QIII and there are differences between the lights which might matter to some.

The circuit board in the SI light is very different from the QIII's, meaning that they are not a common design in a different shell. The QIII (and presumably the QI) uses a conventional cylindrical "pill" like the Arcs, et al while the SI light has a small longitudinal PC board like the Dorcy 1AAA light.

The QIII uses a reflector and has a plastic lens cover. The SI light uses an optic which is bare. Moreover, the SI optic appears to be glued in place in the head, meaning that swapping out the optic for a reflector and lens will be more work than if it used a conventional retaining ring. It probably can still be done though and would be an interesting project. It's just not a drop in as the Costco 1W Luxeon is claimed to be.

knifebright

Enlightened
I was able to get out the optic with a lot of heat... enought heat to destroy the optic. I've got a ucl lens and a 17mm reflector. I also switched out the low dome with a t-bin high dome. couln't figure out the circuit so i just jumped it and made it direct drive. Runs of a single r123. Now its a nice light.
jimmy

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot of info on this light in this thread.

Nice light. I gave 3 away as gifts this Christmas. All recipients were very happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, me too. Gave away 4 as gifts. Non-flashaholics are amazed. I would have purchased more (using that $20 off coupon) but I cleaned the local store out.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know more about how you switched out the optic. Do you think the "boil in a bag" trick will work to get the optic out? Did the 17 mm reflector just drop in or did you have to trim it? What diameter is the UCL you used?

How did you take up the side to side play given that the ledge machined inside the head prevents you from dropping a reflector/lens into the head which is the full width of the inner opening.

I've been wondering how to manage all that. Any pointers would be appreciated.

knifebright

Enlightened
I don't know if the boil in a bag method will work as the optics are really in there. I had to use a torch and a pick. The machined ledge is acually made out of plastic so out it goes. Then i used a lux 3 and left it on the star, used my dremmel to grind the star board down to fit. I then AA'd it to the negitive contact disk. THe lens is the same size as an arc ls, reflector just took the legs off. Wasn't really worth it as the board doesn't put out much juice and i can't figure out the path it. A few rewiring moves and it' direct drive of a rechargeable. I've really starting to like direct drive for some things. Let me know if you can figure out the circuit path of this thing.
jimmy

JBL14

Newly Enlightened
Just a follow-up to my original post: I've had a chance to benchmark the Sportsman's Warehouse 6V 3-watt Luxeon light against my stock Surefire G2 w/P60 (65-lumen) bulb. They appear to be pretty evenly matched in terms of throw (viewed at a distance of about 150 feet), but the P60 provides better fill light.