LiOnHeart gets hot!!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I can see my LiOnHeart will be in lockout mode most of the time.

It was accidently turned on in its sheath tonight and that puppy gets seriously hot on high after just about 10 minutes!

I've never run my VIP on high for that long so I don't know what to expect, but the LiOnHeart was so hot I couldn't hold it!

I'm hoping that the PILA wasn't damaged!

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Most of my high current lights get hot after awhile. Price we pay for that raw output. I bet my VIP would get hot if left on high for extented time. Pulls 1.2+ amps froms battery.

Bill

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yes it gets hot on High! Try switching to UI1 and force-setting it to one of the lower levels since in this UI you can have Instant High any time by simply pressing and holding the button while the light is at any other level. As for carrying it in a sheath, I turn my light so the switch faces one of the internal corners of the holder.

nexro

Enlightened
If it gets hot, it's good for me. Tells me that the heatsinking is properly done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Mine gets hot too on high...

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Yes it gets hot on High! Try switching to UI1 and force-setting it to one of the lower levels since in this UI you can have Instant High any time by simply pressing and holding the button while the light is at any other level. As for carrying it in a sheath, I turn my light so the switch faces one of the internal corners of the holder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm curious. If you don't mind me asking...what sheath are you using?

Good job on the heatsink and choosing a 15 minute delay on autodim. On max output, it's quite warm at 15 minutes, but not so hot you can't hold it.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Bill, that might be it - I am using one of Ron Ryder's excellent and stiffly constructed leather sheaths which, although rounded over the front half, has two very defined corners at the back that are very difficult to deform, unlike softer nylon. It is made by shrinking moistened leather over an actual LionHeart and thus is a very exact fit which also prevents rotating while being carried. The light is held in with just the right amount of tension, preventing dislodging when tipped upside down yet allowing speedy and unhindered deployment. I could not find this kind of feel or security with pre-made mass market nylon sheaths, not to mention the turning and accidental activation with carriers made of the softer nylon material.

I might add that my sheath has a two-position snap that allows it to be carried both in original configuration length as well as with the longer 168A tube.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright already!!

Charlie, the accessories for your lights are starting to make me think that those pictures of you are all a hoax and that you are really a female interior designer who happens to have an electrical engineering degree and likes playing with flashaholics hearts!

I think I've paid more for accessories than the lights themselves! Sort of like the companies who give away their glucose monitors, knowing that you then have to buy THEIR test strips for the monitor, and that they can charge whatever they want!!:)

In all reality, though, I have never seen two more well made tools than the VIP and the LiOnHeart! Incredible workmanship and attention to detail!

Bill

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
My VIP gets real hot too, My friend was admiring it when he noticedit was getting hot while he was holding it fo rme as I worked on my ATV. I told him to turn it down to medium if it got uncomfortable.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
That's the Achilles Heel of LEDs ... they need to bleed away the heat via the body of the light.
You got a high-powered light (a LH in this case), you got a lot of heat. Unfortunately there's no way around this right now, all such lights suffer from this problem.
bk

Kiessling

Flashaholic
... AND the heat can be used as a primitive battery indicator: the heat will subside earlier than a noticeable decrease in brightness, at least most of the times ...
bk

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
...AND think of the winter handwarming effect (which we Hawaiians have No personal experience of, just going by anecdotes...).

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, Charlie, I -have- been using the LH for the Winter Handwarming effect, given it's like -5 to -10F outside. Even at Level 3, it's not bad... and I used it at Level 2 or Level 1 as an ice detection device at night too - if you see the walk is shiny, you know you're likely to slip right off your feet there.

The LH is very winter-friendly, especially between early nights, cold weather, and ice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
...AND think of the winter handwarming effect (which we Hawaiians have No personal experience of, just going by anecdotes...).

[/ QUOTE ]

... but it snowed in the desert country of Dubai for the first time in history though so you never know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hmmm, snow in Hawaii...(actually on the tops of the mountain slopes of the Big Island they do go skiing and snowboarding).

Haesslich, I'm just glad you Finally got it before winter went away!

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been putting the LH to good use ever since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Never leaves my side.

Though part of may have to, if I get this upgrade done.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a handy way to hold onto your hot LH, check out Nite Ize's Lite-Ring. It's an extremely low footprint way to carry, though it provides no lens protection. I had mine on for about 45 minutes last night on high, and the rubber ring that holds onto the light held up without expanding any that I could tell. As you can see in the photos, with the ring up near the switch, the knurling assures that the ring isn't coming off the LH. The ring is tight enough to carry it on the very end of the LH. As long as it doesn't get bumped hard, it will hang onto it. Being clumsy, I elected to move it closer towards the switch.

I'm sure, over time, it will cook the rubber into submission, but for $3, it's the most convenient and useful way to carry short of a sheath.

This photo shows how it is perfectly sized for the LH:

47120050102-5200-0122-CPFSELionHeart_LiteRing.jpg

This one shows how it can even aid standing the light up:

47120050102-5200-0124-CPFSELionHeart_LiteRing.jpg

And this one shows how it can help prevent the switch from accidentally being pressed, yet provides easy access to the switch:

47120050102-5200-0125-CPFSELionHeart_LiteRing.jpg

By placing the LH's switch on the side of the Lite Ring opposite the clip, I can cradle the light with the nylon against my palm and my thumb on the rubber retaining ring. This allows a firm grip without actually touching the LH anywhere:

47120050102-5200-0126-CPFSELionHeart_LiteRing.jpg

If I wanted to design a minimalistic carry option for the LH, I don't think I could improve on the Lite Ring.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
codeman said:
By placing the LH's switch on the side of the Lite Ring opposite the clip, I can cradle the light with the nylon against my palm and my thumb on the rubber retaining ring. This allows a firm grip without actually touching the LH anywhere:

47120050102-5200-0126-CPFSELionHeart_LiteRing.jpg

If I wanted to design a minimalistic carry option for the LH, I don't think I could improve on the Lite Ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus I notice it helps you locate the switch (if the strap is situated on the directly opposite side).

And only three dollars? From where?