Quick Pila Questions!?!?!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking about modding a Mag 2C with a X3T emitter, a decent heatsink (hotlips?) and possibly some type of buck converter (still searching for the right one, maybe a CC5W or a DownBoy?). But that brings up some questions regarding my proposed power source: 2xPilas 150s or 2x150A.

1) If I put two of these batteries in the Mag 2C to power my emitter, will the Pilas be enough to power the LS at 1.0 to 1.5As?

2) If the Pilas can withstand that type of current draw, what type of runtime can I expect on a pair of 150As?....how about a pair of 150s?

I realize there are probably other/maybe better power sources, but I have alot of the parts for this build on hand, and the Pilas are just waiting around to be used, if they'll work in this application.

I'm thinking alot of guilt free lumens with this build! Thanks for your input guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ubermensch

Enlightened
Most of your questions regarding runtimes can be answered using this site. Assuming Vf of 6.5, drive current of 1 amp, battery voltage of 7.5, and capacity of 1200 mAh, regulated runtime would be a little over 1 hour (you may or may not have some direct drive after that). And yes, 1 or 1.5 amps should be fine with those batteries, the 168S puts out 1.65 amps when running an L4, and the 168A puts out 2 amps in the Pila G2R. But if you want a practical, long-lived light, use the 150A batteries, with current of 1 amp or less (I would suggest less).