LED's Used To Restore 1920's Era Theatre Marquee

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED\'s Used To Restore 1920\'s Era Theatre Marquee

My hometown has an historic theatre, the Tennessee Theatre, which was built in the 1920's. It's been in a state of renovation for several years. It was a magical place to see first run movies as a kid, primarily due to The Mighty Wurlitzer Organ rising up from the orchestra pit to provide entertainment while everyone was seated for the movie. For a building that was falling apart a number of years (and $21 million) ago, it's been given a new lease in a grand style that we're mighty proud of.

Now, my old college advisor plays the organ and we have some great entertainers coming in, such as Allison Kraus, Dave Brubeck, the Paco Pena Flamenco Dance Company, Lyle Lovett, David Sedaris, and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. In March, we have in the course of 4 days, Buddy Guy, Elvis Costello, and Wynton Marsalis, followed a week later by Earl Scruggs.

What's this got to do with LED's?

Next week, the final piece of the marquee will be installed - a 900-light LED grid! There is a total of 5000 lights on the marquee and the 5-story vertical "Tennessee" sign. Given the ornate interior design of the 1920's, using the latest technology outside is a great way for it to have new life in a new century. For a small town main street, this ought to be something to see!

For those that might be interested, here's an article:
Sign of Past Reborn.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED\'s Used To Restore 1920\'s Era Theatre Marquee

Is this in Knoxville Tennessee? I would like to visit the theatre when I see my wifes relatives in Loudon.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED\'s Used To Restore 1920\'s Era Theatre Marqu

We have had a similiar restoration to the "Embassy" theatre in Fort Wayne, IN.............amazingly, we have an organ that "pops up" and also a new marquee. The Embassy is a beautifully restored "art deco" building. (I attended movies there in the 50's and 60's as a "youngster"!)

jeffb

EricB

Enlightened
Re: LED\'s Used To Restore 1920\'s Era Theatre Marqu

Here in Times Sq. they did that a few years ago with one of those old theaters. I think it was the Paramount. The space on the ground floor was converted to a WWF (World Wrestling Federation) clothing theme store, with the marquee diaplaying the WWF logo and some other stuff. On the bottom is plastic "bulbs" lit by LED based fiber optic. (They are usually orange, but also have displayed blue and white).
The store has closed a year or more agon, but the marquee still lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Then, of course, there is the all new LOEWS vertical sign on the E-Walk theater. The letters LOEWS are filled with R, G and B LED's and change color with flashing strobe effects as well. One of my favorite displays in the Times Sq. area.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED\'s Used To Restore 1920\'s Era Theatre Marquee

[ QUOTE ]
Nitroz said:
Is this in Knoxville Tennessee? I would like to visit the theatre when I see my wifes relatives in Loudon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Big Orange Country!