SF L1 and QIII runtimes and lumens

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
Here is my question:

The L1 has 1x123 with 20 Lumnes for 1.5 hours
The Q111 has 1x123 with 75 lumens for 1.5 hours

What is the deal? It would seem like you should be able to get more run time with less light. Are the electronics in both that different in efficiency? Are the electronics the same?
Assuming a parabolic relationship btwn light output and runtime, it seems like you should get maybe 3 hours at 40 lumens.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 lumens might be underestimated. My new L1 has just a bit less apparent light output than my QIII with a TWOJ star in it. Also, the L1 instruction manual that came with mine claims 35 lumens. Who knows what the real number is.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L1 seems to be in the 35-45 range. its just a tad dimmer then a P60 lamp, but much whiter.

I would guess that both these lights are running right around 40 lumens, and the runtime of the QIII is just over rated a bit.

cdf

Enlightened
Surefire underrates, others overrate . The L1 is regulated and prolly gives you more clean lite beam for longer . running the regulating ckt costs a bit of energy .

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no way IMO the Q III can be 75 lumens on just one battery and run for 1+ hours. It just won't happen IMO. My Q3s don't even look that bright. I'd guess 35-40 lumens would be closer to the actual output, based on comparing it to similar lights in that output range.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. The QIII is closer to a SL Jr. Luxeon in terms of output, and thats supposedly 30 lumens. Even if the QIII is only half of the 75 advertised lumens, its still a great light. I couldnt stop myself from ordering a 2nd QIII today.

best regards

cy

Flashaholic
Surefire will give you a conservative rating of what lumens actually gets out the front end.

VS Newai quoting luxeon's rating, not what gets out front end. to get real life output, one needs to factor in transmission loss, heat loss, luxeon lottery etc.

with UCL and excellent reflector at least 35% loss. 40% would be generous.

I compared a Q3 against my ARC4X rated at 48 lumens. I guesstimated Q3's output at 25-30 lumens.

My new L1 3watt has almost identical output as LSH-P or 25 lumens.

Please bear in mind this is only valid for lights actually tested. I think Q3 is an excellent value for the $$$, but 75 lumens.. no way.

Krit

Enlightened
I agree with CY, QIII is not run with LuxIII spec and they use S bin which couldn't produce throught full T bin spec.

Steve C

Enlightened
I have no way to measure lumens, but I got a Q-III yesterday.

It is noticeably (not by much, but noticeably) brighter and has a bit more "throw" than my KL3 on a 6P body.

What a neat light. It has replaced my A2 as EDC, because the A2 was just a tad too long for my method of carry. It is now in the war bag; I like it too much to put it aside, and if I could only have one, it would be an A2.

But this Q-III will be hard to beat for a small,quality light at a VERY reasonable price. And I got lucky; mine is very white.

I told myself I was going to buy only AA-powered lights from now on. I'm glad I changed my mind about this one.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2x123 Q-III thing I got yesterday is just about the same brightness as my Costco luxeons, which is nothing to sneeze at, but its nothing terribly special either.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Translation - everyone's getting into the Luxeon Lottery all over again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Mine's around 40-45 lumens easily, at least when I compare it to a LuxI light I know is around 19 lumens. Some people really luck out there... and some don't. They're still S-bins, for the most part, which means that they never hit 75 lumens - that's just a marketing guy getting way too eager. But the runtime on a J or K-binned Lux means about 90 minutes of runtime before the light drops off into moon mode.