Audition for Superlights Shootout (REDO)

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having already spent many hours on Shootout II, I have made a "discovery" which will require the re-shoot of this competition in order to show at least one of the light at its best. It's been a real learnig experience getting to know each of the lights on a "expert level" in order to do the write up. Hundreds of photos of each light, repeated run time tests, going to the post office to get an accurate weight measurement.... I really do need to get a life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, since the "new and improved" MegaRay has been offered, the Ken-3 adjusted, the Ken5 (Sleeper Killer) are now ready, it's showtime.

Open call for all the big guys. If you have a "big gun" please consider sending it to us for this competition. I figure mid January ...

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your gonna give me a heart attack!!!! Just when I thought the excitment was ending............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

And what do you mean "Sleeper Killer"? Has it finally been beaten!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? This is gonna be GREAT!!!!

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
Oh my god, a new light which beats The Sleeper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
Really cool stuff, thanks for all of the work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Crosman451

Newly Enlightened
To bad my new Sleeper Killer "Killer" won't be ready in time for this second Shootout II event.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Maybe next years Super Shootout III??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
sleeper killing??????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Cones

Enlightened
I am looking forward to this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was very lucky to be able to test the very first 175watt Saphion powered Megaray. But how cool will it be to try it against several other mega lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You just have to go for the everything turned on at once shot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mark

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff

Is another plugin HID (selectable 35w/50w) similar to the HS welcome? If so, PM me an address to send to.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Humm,

Sleeper Killer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I really can't think of a light you couldn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif to death with it short of an anvil, Oh' you must be talking about out put should we order welding hoods as a safety precaution for ShootOut 2.5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

Later
Kelly

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't expect my light to beat the sleeper in output, but it does beat my x990. You need to bring the sleeper to the central valley get together on the 8th of Jan. We'll have jpeg drop a magnesium engine block on the fire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif, and we'll compare it with the sleeper. Now that's where you'll need your welders goggles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ratso

Enlightened
Uh oh, we're having an arms race...

I like it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr.Ted Bear,

My junk yard dawg HID Blitz will be in the mail tomorrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
DSC00282.jpg

Now where is the HID Thor that's its favorite snack? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Later
Kelly

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Kelly/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I would just like to thank you because yor HID Blitz was the light that really got me hooked flashlights. Some day I'll get up the nerve to try that mod myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Thor......WATCH OUT!!!!!

C ya,
Baker

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
Mr Ted Bear said:
Having already spent many hours on Shootout II, I have made a "discovery" which will require the re-shoot of this competition in order to show at least one of the light at its best. It's been a real learnig experience getting to know each of the lights on a "expert level" in order to do the write up. Hundreds of photos of each light, repeated run time tests, going to the post office to get an accurate weight measurement.... I really do need to get a life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, since the "new and improved" MegaRay has been offered, the Ken-3 adjusted, the Ken5 (Sleeper Killer) are now ready, it's showtime.

Open call for all the big guys. If you have a "big gun" please consider sending it to us for this competition. I figure mid January ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool "new and improved" MegaRay, but I don't expect that big a difference with the updated Megaray. It uses a higher-wattage 175w xenon short-arc HID capsule, but unless the Saphion batteries are providing 'over-drive' to the capsule, you expect only slightly brighter beam, but not necessarily anything different in the beampatterns, unless the optics have been changed. The arc gap on the updated Megaray has been stated by leonard to be "less than 1mm" (which from looking at specs on 175w xenon short-arc HID's that they may be using, would be 0.97mm. Comparatively the Maxabeam uses an even shorter arc gap of ~0.67mm for it's 75w xenon HID; which partially explains the 1,500yd beamshots on Kenshiro's site.

By chance, might there be the same type of 1,500yd beamshots to compare with the SLSI? Those were the ones that I found most impressive as few lights can reach out that far...pretty much only the Maxabeam and Megaray were players at that distance.

One wonders what is meant by Ken5 being a Sleeper killer? If we are talking pure lumens wall of light output, then that would require an 250w HMI as no boosted 250w incandescent bulb is likely to output sheer lumens that could match the 600w Sleeper. BTW what is the lumens output spec for that 600w bulb?

If we were talking about candlepower, hotspot, long throw capability, then there could be an axial filament incandescent bulb boosted sufficiently to reach the 1,500yd throw of most of these superlights. Ginseng knows of which superbulb I refer to (as well I would imagine, Kenshiro) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
Boosted or not, the THOR needs Herculean 'Ahhnold-like' strength and size to wield /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Say, where's the fundraiser for the official CPF integrating sphere measurement tool (inexpensive version could be assembled for around the price of a Beast---see thread in batteries/electronics by tvodrd), administrated by Quickbeam? We need accurate independent confirmation of true lumens output---no more squabbling about how much this or that light outputs in lumens, out the front of the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BakerOnFire90 said:
Nice Kelly/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I would just like to thank you because yor HID Blitz was the light that really got me hooked flashlights. Some day I'll get up the nerve to try that mod myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Thor......WATCH OUT!!!!!

C ya,
Baker

[/ QUOTE ]

Baker thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif but don't blame your flashoholism on me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif like most of us you were either born that way or this place turned you into one with all it's tempting goodies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

After Mr Ted Bead opened up the Super Lights 2 Redo thread I just couldn't resist any longer as I have wondered for a long time how the HID Blitz mod would hold up against the heavy hitters. It ain't very pretty but it's still in the development stage after all this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif and still has a few quirks about it I may end up getting a bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif but then I will know where I stand with the mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Where is the HID Thor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Later
Kelly

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, we have the boosted thor, sways baby, and a couple others no names.... sadly, no THOR HID....(yet).

Thinking of putting the Super lights on "tour", and bringing them to Las Vegas for the Shot Show in a couple of weeks

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mr Ted Bear said:
Yes, we have the boosted thor, sways baby, and a couple others no names.... sadly, no THOR HID....(yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

I added the red lens cover in my pic hoping to strike fear into the hearts of opponents and weaken their resolve making them pack up and head home or not show up looks like my plan didn't work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

But a week in Vegas! I'm starting to get jealous of these lights they get around more then I do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Later
Kelly

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff,

My cmacclel 35/50w HID is in the mail (actually Fed Ex). You should have it by next Wednesday.