Havis Shields HID - some pics/beamshot

symes

Enlightened
Just had a few minutes to play with this...

These were taken in a garage in bright sunlight, I had to crank back the exposure to put it into perspective, which is why it looks like night!!
HS1.jpg

HS2.jpg

HS3.jpg

Enjoy...

P.S. The humble little yellow glow to the right of the HS HID is an MN20 (250 lumen) lamp in an M3T running fresh batteries...

Distance to the wall is about 8ft...

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics symes. I hate to say it, but that strap/clamp with the raised nut and bolt looks really hokey. I'd really like to get a look at the back end of the HS, including the switch. What is the switch like on this light?

Peter

symes

Enlightened
You're right the bolt does look a little 'hokey', but given the large lump of, what I assume to be, glass that has to be held in place and be watertight, I think its probably a good solution. The rest of the unit is entirely thick rubber and appears to be sealed. I see no way into the unit without taking the glass out. The retention ring is at least partly sunk into the rubber housing.

The manual says "contains no user serviceable parts" - this appears to include the lamp assembly.

The switch is small push on/off button on the side of the body which is rubber covered again for water resistance. I imagine that it is intended to be able to be operated in a pair of fire gloves. It requires a lot of pressure to engage and disengage, and if you didn't hear the ballast kick in, you wouldn't really know you had it on, but consequently, it isn't likely to change status if it got knocked over on a rescue scene etc...

With the right portable power source, bag batteries, bottle batteries etc... it makes a perfect S&R light. I tried it quickly the other morning and the beam penetrated about 300 ft into the trees behind our house where new home construction is going on. The spot still seemed brighter than heck even at that distance. Makes me ALMOST wish that I could switch the reflector to a SF style one that would shorten the throw but increase the flood - there is way enough light here to do that...

Interestingly, after being bright white the first few times turned on, I noticed that the beam had a small yellow tint to one part. On turning it off, there appeared to be small yellow liquid in the discharge area of the lamp. Now it seems to be variable whether it shows or not, but this reminded me of some recent fun and games with the X990.

Have fun,

Simon

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I CAN'T WAIT FOR MINE TO ARIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif!!!! It sure does beat the #$%& out of that 250 lumen SureFire though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif HID ! ! ! I agree though, the bolt has gotta go on future models

K-T

*Moderator*
Thanks for the beamshots but would you mind resizing these a bit for those with small monitors or low resolution graphic cards? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
symes, do you think you could get some outside beamshots compared to another light??? Anything would be really great. Thanx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BakerOnFire90 said:
symes, do you think you could get some outside beamshots compared to another light??? Anything would be really great. Thanx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

symes

Enlightened
I'll try and get some night pics compared to a few like

Cheap 2MCP 12V spot, Surefire M6/500, Tigerlight

Right now, I've just been running it with the car 12V output....my goal is to use it on my boat so I'll have all the 12V I need.

The SLAs are ok but heavy. I have some exit sign 6Ah SLAs that I use for power outages etc... and could bag up those. However, for portable use, I'd probably rather go with one of the cycling bottle Li-ion type deals - weight is the big thing it seems.

There are a bunch of rescue built 12V belt bag supplies though I know, that some fire guys have available - might check those out.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the yellow in the beam is normal

my hid thor has the slice of yellow on the bottom of its beam.

my hid vector has the slice of yellow on the top-the reflector it inverts the beam

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just the salts in the bulb......

I was also thinking about using a bottled li-ion pack, but their is no direct 12 accessory adapter on those and I don't feel like doing a wire-strip-connection hack job on it. I just want to plug it in and go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is the min and max operating voltage ?

how much current does it draw at 13 volts ?

does it take long to warm up ?

I do not think the metal hoop is bad lookin.

can you rotate the part that sticks up towards the bottom of the light >
a lith ion pack would be kool.

you could use a fanny pack or a money belt

to make a nimh c cell pack for it.

I use 12 cells in my hid vector

battery voltage sag and other voltage drops probably keep battery pack voltage under 16 volts.

and I do not rapid charge the battery pack so voltage per cell at end of charge is 1.38 volts.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
how much current does it draw at 13 volts ?

I use 12 cells in my hid vector

battery voltage sag and other voltage drops probably keep battery pack voltage under 16 volts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of going the NiMH route myself. The Hallis website claims a 3 amp draw at 12 volts.

Markdi,

Your using 12 C Nimh rechargables? How do they perform and how is the runtime?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told that it drew 3.5 to 4 amps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif, and I was told that by you, markdi, or Battery Charger.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes it draws around 3.5 to 4 amps but I was wondering if
any one had a more precise current draw value.

I have not done a runtime test on my vector hid

I have ran it for over an hour.

It should run at least 70 80 minutes or so