So, if you knurling is getting worn...

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
...as mine is on my Mag 3 C, try this - buy some 4" wide self-sticking black stair tread grip tape. Cut 2 strips just under 4" long and they will wrap around the tube, ends butting, edges butting. Twist the bezel down as far as it will go. Wrap a piece of masking tape around the bottom of the bezel to mark off the on-off button and serial number position. Wrap the first piece, with the edge butted up against the bottom of the bezel. Remove the tail cap, butt the 2nd strip to the edge of the first strip, and trim to the end of the tube. Carefully trim to clear the oval for the on-off button and a rectangular strip for the serial number.

I will see this weekend how this holds in cold weather. If it holds, I doubt highly that I will drop this light due to worn grip - it just MIGHT rip the new gloves Santa brought me!

FYI. Cost ~ $1.41 with tax.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
An update - the weather was so bad yesterday, we did not even get out of town. We DID drag 3 clients to the drunk tank from a bar fight.

HOWEVER, my Mag 3 C spent overnight in the car at about - 25 C, and when I brought it in the house this afternoon, the stair tread grip covering was still holding. I'll see how it holds up tonight.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
when i bought my silver 3D cell mag over 5 years ago, i also bought this over grip called, Nite Ize Grip 'N Clip. its made for maglites and lights with similar shapes. its some kinda plastic rubber sleeve that goes over my maglite (i believe its made to fit D or C cell lights). it can stretch to about 8 inches or so enough to cover and protect the knurlings. in the middle has a adjustable strap for your hand and the end has a plastic clip (i removed it and added those circle keyring) so you can clip it on your belt. hence the name, Grip 'N Clip. but mine cost me about $18cnd back then which was a good investment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Black 2 D cell maglight which was at least 15 years old eventualy it turned silver due to wear, it had been carried everywhere, used as a work light, dropped in dirt, mud, water, oil, and it was always covered in grit. The knurling had competely worn of. A quick fix was to use cloth electrical tape wound in three bands evenly placed along to tube of the flashlight, works very well and is easy to remove or replace if needed.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I used skateboard tape which is like very durable thick sticky back sandpaper. The light now feels un-droppable.

Brightnorm

greenLED

Flashaholic
Bicycle inner tube also works. You can either slide it over the entire light, or put smaller pieces along the body. BTW, it works great to cover the broken switch button (mine's worked for a couple of years like that)