SF 8AX or 8NX differences?

mokona2

Enlightened
Considering a rechargeable flashlight for my next purchase. Can't really tell from Surefire's website, but what are the differences between the 8AX and the 8NX bundles? Specifically:

1. Is the 8AX-BK type II HA versus the 8AX-HA type III?
2. What is the difference between tempered Pyrex and untempered?
3. Does the 8AX415 package come w/ 2 B90s and the AC/DC chargers? What about the 8AX435 package?
4. Are X80 replacement LAs hard to find?

Size15's

Flashaholic
1) The 8AX-HA and 8AX-BK are both Hard Anodised.
The Black is Hard Anodised.

2) Both the 8AX and 8NX (I believe by now) have tempered Pyrex lenses.
The 8NX I have has a Lexan (polycarbonate) lens

Short Note on Toughened Glass:
Thermally "tempered" or "toughened" glass has been heated to approximately 650C which is the point at which it become 'tacky' to the touch (if it were possible to touch it). It is then quenched using jets of cold air blasted onto both surfaces which results in the rapid cooling of the glass surfaces while the core of the glass remains very hot and cools more slowly. As a result of this difference in rates of cooling the outer 'skins' "zones" of the glass are in compression and the inner core "zone" is in tension. There is now a store of energy (called the Strain Energy). A crack which propagates through the compression zone into the tensile zone will cause rapid release of the strain energy built up in the glass through the development of multiple cracks. This results in the formation of many small glass particles, 'dices' or "fragments" which pose less of a risk of cutting or piercing injuries in the event of glass breakage.

It is difficult to toughen flat glass if the surface area is smaller than a post card. Toughened glass can not be cut or worked once toughened. I am not sure how Pyrex glass is toughened (perhaps chemically rather than thermally).

Tempered Pyrex can handle higher temperatures, higher and more rapid thermal shocks (changes in temperature), and has many physical advantages.

3) Yes.
The 435 package as the T230 power supply for European mains.

T210 - US
T220 - UK
T230 - Euro
T240 - Austrailia

4) I believe they should be available from your friendly SureFire Dealer