How much abuse can the GH24 Lamp handle?

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their Website indicates the lamp is rated at 6v. It also states that it is a 5/6 cell lamp. Well knowing this, I also know coming off the charger the NiMH's would be pushing far more than 6v using either 5 or 6 cells.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run mine with 3 123's, so 7.2 or even 8 volts is very easily handled.

This is truly a great bulb for a lot of different applications, and readily available.

I'm going to be ordering some soon.

Bill

litho123

Enlightened
Well, It didn't flash on two stacks of 3x123. Then again, I wasn't impressed with the frosted GH24, too much side spill, and too yellow for my taste, so there wasn't any further testing done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I guess I shouldn't have compared it against the Carley 1499. YMMV

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litho, that impresses me even more!

I have run them with 6 NiMH, and I agree, I like the unfrosted better, but now I may try 7 of them.

I always assumed that there was enough voltage sag with the 123's that it didn't instaflash, but if you ran it with the double stack, then sag wasn't an issue.

Now I REALLY want to see the 1499, too!!

Bill

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Litho, that impresses me even more!

I have run them with 6 NiMH, and I agree, I like the unfrosted better, but now I may try 7 of them.

I always assumed that there was enough voltage sag with the 123's that it didn't instaflash, but if you ran it with the double stack, then sag wasn't an issue.

Now I REALLY want to see the 1499, too!!

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, bwaites; in quickie testing for my rushed review of the unregulated 8AA-2D adapter (albeit with lots of M*glite resistance) I ran 8 cells on a Sears Craftsman 6v/.975a bulb, without instaflashing! You did see that in the reviews forum, yes?

But I doubt it would be long before the bulb burns out doing nearly twice the rated voltage, maybe just a few minutes, or a few hours...still, very white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. GH24 will suck up 1.7+a, so I should think you could severly overdrive it with the 8AA-2D adapter running even higher voltage than a 2p3s stack like litho123 did(but I would caution that CBP's 1650ma cells could/might instaflash it).

As far as comparision with the Carley 1499, why do people do this? GH24 is 6v/1.6a rated at 200lm whereas the Carley 1499 is a T1.5 sized bulb, 7.2v/1.84 rated at 385 lumens....like duh, which do you think is going to be more impressive? I have a 6v/3.33a Carley 852, it's rated for 500lm, which of the 3 here do you think will be brightest?

$50 will buy you 8 potted 1499's, just order them from Carley, sell any extra, that you don't end up instaflashing with CBP1650's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Geez, if I wasn't busy doing everything else like making up 8 PITA dummy spacers to test resistance in the 8AA-2D adapter; I would finish up my quick tests of the 1499, and others in a Carley PR 912 bi-pin adapter.

Someone take pity on bwaites and send him a loaner potted 1499 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
To clearify my intentions: I have two mods going. One will be in a 4D M@G Host using five 4500mAH "C" Cell NiMH's, fitted with one of fivemega's Aluminum Reflectors. I ordered Borofloat Lenses and the lamp will be the GH24. I would think with this combination I would get close to the purported 200lms a long with descent runtime. The bulb is rated at 6v as we all know and coming off the charger the NiMH's should be in the neighborhood of at least 7.15v if not we bit more...

Now the 3D M@G Host will be modded to accomodate the WA1185 Lamp thus the M@G85. I will be using the CBP 1650's in this setup. Will probably do as Wilkey suggested start out by using 8 of the cells to see what happens.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dukester,

The GH24 will run well on that setup, but will be nowhere near as bright as it could be.

I looks great on 6 1/2D NiMH's, and I think I'll up the ante and see what it looks like on 7 once I get a few more.

Bill

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bill - Yep, I thought about dropping seven or eight 1/2 D's into the tube of my SL-35X and see how that pushes that 20w Halogen.

Do you know of a good source of 1/2 D's? Not a real popular size with a lot of the online Batt Vendors.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

I just got my 1499's, very comparable to the GH24 on 3 123's.

I'm going to try running them both on a little overdrive and see how they do.

Bill

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Well,

I just got my 1499's, very comparable to the GH24 on 3 123's.

I'm going to try running them both on a little overdrive and see how they do.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Very comparable how? Kind of vague, please elaborate.

Dukester, on another note, I'm just now getting around to playing with the 8AA-2D's both unregulated and regulated. Wonder how much bwaites' ideal of a 'little overdrive' is? Umm, I'll try one AA, then 2 AA cell overdrive. Lithium primaries just sag too much under load, and they are wasteful, not environmentally friendly throwaways.

Say Dukester, while this may PO bwaites a bit, you'd better watch the GB forums like a hawk every single week without fail. What bwaites fails to tell you is that Ginseng's GB are very short in length, the last GB on the AeroNiMH 1/2D's was only for 5 days! Maybe bwaites will provide you the link so you can check for yourself?

I just did the same favorite bulb combo again with the 8AA-2D adapter. Running at 10.7v off the adapter, that 6-cell M*g Xenon bulb sure is very, very white, and bright; for such a lowly bulb. Bests the RadioShack 6 & 7.2v bulbs, IMHO, better beampattern (you'd expect that for a bulb designed to work with their own light)., more useable defocus beampattern. Probably won't last very long, but like a shooting star, impressive while it lasts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Dukester, get yourself a 8AA-2D adapter, and try the CBP1650 with that GH24, if it does not instaflash; you should have even more potent, bright, very white light as compared to the 6-cell M*g Xenon.

I pretty much expect the 1499 to be able to work well with the 8AA-2D adapter, if the low amp 6-cell M*g can handle it, the 1.84a 1499 should thrive on this amount of overdrive--at least with the wimpy consumer AA NiMH's I have at present. Hehe, will try it soon.

BTW. did you find your calipers to measure the diameter of the CBP1650???

Update, Ok, it's new years so I popped the 1499 into that wimpy Carley 912 bi-pin adapter, and ran 7-cells. Pretty nice, but not as white as the 6-cell M*g xenon bulbs. Ok, needs more overdrive then? 8 cells should do it? Well, I can't tell much difference with 10.58v reading off the adapter, must be either wimpy consumer NiMH's or I've got too much resistance for one reason or another. Very nice beam pattern, filament width must be about the same as the M*g 6-cell xenon, or a bit wider. Bigger hotspot, but just about 1.5-twice the size, still tight; but the slight defocus sure does throw a really nice bigger intense beam...does the 'defocus' proper justice; tight spot hits the end of a city block, while slight defocus gets you a decent view from one side of the street to the other---Two thumbs up. Now back to charging and trying the 1499 on 8-cells just off the charger to see if I can't get that ultra white M*g 6-cell xenon color---need more current flow, I love the super white of the M*g 6-cell xenon with 2-cell overdrive.

Ok, Dukester, it's up to you, pop those CBP1650's into an 8AA-2D (if they fit) and run the GH24 on at least 7-cells, and then try to instaflash on 8. Those CBP1650's ought to do for the GH24, what 8 consumer cells do for the 6-cell M*g xenon. Living on the edge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
Thanks Bill - Yep, I thought about dropping seven or eight 1/2 D's into the tube of my SL-35X and see how that pushes that 20w Halogen.

Do you know of a good source of 1/2 D's? Not a real popular size with a lot of the online Batt Vendors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would strongly urge caution on that, again, those 1/2D AeroNiMH are quite potent you cannot compare them as equivalent to smaller RC style NiMH cells, where's Ginseng when you need him. I guess bwaites has forgotten the problems encountered on the TigerLight upgrade thread??? js tried that SL LA from the 35X for the Tigerlight upgrade project; and SilverFox as well as S4MadMan ended up with very short lifespans or instaflashing, IIRC. It's a long read, but check out this thread (sorry, I recall which threads mention this problem in detail, I think there were several...maybe you can PM js for the details?). As a result of this problem, js decided NOT to offer the SL 35X as an official component of the TL upgrade package, but you are welcome to incur the risks yourself. The TigerLight Upgrade Thread

Post #535202
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Crap!!!

My SL {SL 35X LA} lamp just blew...

I guess I will have to call Sexton customer service and order a replacement...

Not sure what is going on. My lamp had less than 4 hours on it. Luck of the draw I guess...

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a monster long thread, but well worth a few hours for the instructional read. Ginseng (Ican master) would remember all the details about instaflashing and what not. 9-cells with the CBP1650ma and the 50hr WA1185, should be alright, but there is a slight potential for instaflashing. Pushing it to the edge will get you very white light. Me, I like very white light; I would try it in a second. But then I'm like Ginseng, never met a bulb I wouldn't try to flash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, now I'm confused!

I realized the 2C Mag I was running the 1499 in hadn't had its cells changed since this summer when it went to camp with my youngest daugter. SO...out came the old 123's, in went some new 123's (only 3, BTW) and INSTAFLASH went the 1499!

The I read that UDAMAN is running one with 8 NiMH cells! So either I got a bad lamp, or ?

Since I have only one more 1499, I'll wait for a little more info.

Bill

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
udaman said:
BTW. did you find your calipers to measure the diameter of the CBP1650???

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't find my calipers but will use a friend of mines. Look for measurements later today.

litho123

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Well, now I'm confused!

I realized the 2C Mag I was running the 1499 in hadn't had its cells changed since this summer when it went to camp with my youngest daugter. SO...out came the old 123's, in went some new 123's (only 3, BTW) and INSTAFLASH went the 1499!

The I read that UDAMAN is running one with 8 NiMH cells! So either I got a bad lamp, or ?

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

My impression is that the bulb doesn't like overdrive. I instaflashed two 1499's on twin stacks of 123. Mine run nicely on 1x3x123 or 6 AA nimh no problems.

Udaman must have really dirty contacts thus causing a massive buildup of resistance to not instaflash the 1499 on 8 nimh cells. Someone somewhere posted a long thread on how to clean them. It's on my Top 10 Posts to-read list in 2005.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Sorry, Udaman, I couldn't resist. Seriously, I am surprised you're not instaflashing them on 8nimhs.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
But why an instaflash on 3 123's?

The original thread about these, way back when, talked about how they seemed to be the IDEAL 3x123 bulb!

Bill

litho123

Enlightened
It IS an ideal bulb for 3x123, Bill. It should not have blown right away. I hate to ask the alchohol question as that routine is second nature to me, so I won't! I'm sure you covered all bases in bulb handling... Give the other 1499 a try. If that instaflashes, I'll send you the one I've been using for you to test further.

Greg

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
litho123 said:
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Well, now I'm confused!

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

My impression is that the bulb doesn't like overdrive. I instaflashed two 1499's on twin stacks of 123. Mine run nicely on 1x3x123 or 6 AA nimh no problems.

Udaman must have really dirty contacts thus causing a massive buildup of resistance to not instaflash the 1499 on 8 nimh cells. Someone somewhere posted a long thread on how to clean them. It's on my Top 10 Posts to-read list in 2005.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Sorry, Udaman, I couldn't resist. Seriously, I am surprised you're not instaflashing them on 8nimhs.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO guys(JimH go into snooze mode, extremely long rant begins here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), this is getting really funny (seriously no offense intended) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. We'll how about you guys doing the test with those pesky 8AA-2D adapters I'm using. If I have not said it enough times before...it depends. Depends on the cells, the size and type(RC vs consumer, 1/2D AeroNiMH or smaller RC style, blah, blah, blah, there are so many permutations I hate to make generalizations...uhh, did you guys read the constant apprehension I had over Ginny's confidence in recommending 9 AeroNiMH, untested, for the 50hr WA1185, regardless of the testing of js or Ginseng had done with smaller less potent, more prone to not maintain higher voltage levels across the board? Have you not seen how CBP claims that the new 'hot' GP3300 subC's run at higher voltage under loads across the board, than other similar cells of the same type/chemistry, and size????

Lets take a look at my review of the 8AA-2D unregulated adapter, please. Notice how the high voltage of the Lithium AA's can instaflash a bulb with a thin filament, but when put under enough load and hit a big fat 2,000+hr rated higher amp filament, they drop like a rock in voltage. There are different things that can cause instaflashing...not getting it yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif Different ways to put stress on a bulb that result in instaflashing.

Geez, I try to point out that different thickness of gauge wires result in same voltage, but higher current flows, even with low resistance, but does it sink in with stubborn hot-heads??? Guess I just have to chock it up to lots of experience with 12v electronics over the last few decades and leave it at that. Ginseng might understand, given his wisdom and experience, I don't expect others to comprehend or grasp the subtleties just yet. (No it's not some kind of Zen, trust me, nothing that ephemeral /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). "Master Ginseng, I do not understand; I try to teach the other students, but they still do not want to see the light". "There, there 'Grasshopper'(Master Po's nickname for Kwai Chang Caine- David Carradine's staring role of the TV popular 1972 TV series, which is what annoying classmates would sometimes call me in high school, me has been tramatized ever since, hehe), each of us much ultimately find and follow our own path to the truth in life" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kung Fu(1972) http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10121

How is it that bwaites and litho123(and js) do not see?

Young Caine: You cannot see.
Master Po: You think I cannot see?
Young Caine: Of all things, to live in darkness must be worst.
Master Po: Fear is the only darkness.

Master Po: [after easily defeating the boy in combat] Ha ha, never assume because a man has no eyes he cannot see. Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Master Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Young Caine: No.
Master Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?
Young Caine: [looking down and seeing the insect] Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

So there maybe a slight limiting factor on just how much current flows in the 8AA-2D adapters (BTW, I am using brand new purchased D-cell switch assembly...haha, forgot to tell you that little detail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif; you thought I was still running my uncleaned, old switch assembly, didn't you?), which I pondered (notice how I ponder a lot? LOL, hehe?) about in my review thread on the unregulated adapter? Would those tiny compression springs limit current flow, even if just a 1/10th of a amp, which is all you need to instaflash when running at the very limits? The thickness of the traces inside the two end PCB's, could that limit current flow by another 1/10th of an amp, compared to EL 3AA-D adapters? Come on guys, surely I'm not the only anal person to contemplate these things??? I mean, you had done the 'honey I shrunk the kids' thingy, and gone down inside the M*glite and tested how hot these contacts/current pathways are getting at the bottlenecks of the 8AA-2D adapter and EL's 3AA-D adapters, have you not? Lumens leaking out of the pathways that should go into the filament, which can cause instaflashing if those bottlenecks are remedied? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

So litho123, where's your link to favorite cleaning contacts thread (hehe, I bet mine will be more complete, detailed, wholly and completely anally excessive in minutia ...oh wait, are we talking about the same thread...oh man, you guys are killing me, setting me up for such a fall). Alright, let's bring out the mystical CPF's integrating sphere to test my 'cleaned' spic-n-span contacts theories(umm, does the Emperor wear no clothes, does the UCL lens make for a repeatable, double-blind test confirmation that anyone can actually see the extra 8% boost in light transmission???).

I also need to get some better AA NiMH cells, I had hoped that the CBP1650 would fit, and as you know, was waiting for details on options for button tops on these before ordering. I will not post again; a rushed, disorganized thread; no matter all the prodding I get from you or Ginseng or others; already seen the results of not covering my arse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif I may not be amongst the 'good 'ol boys club'; reigning hot wire "Emperors, to be worshipped, LOL"; but I do like to make accurate, useful information available for the greater whole of CPF membership.

Let me state again, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif, it is folly to compare different cell chemistries. Please read SilverFox's excellent 123 shootout thread 123 Battery Shoot Out, and notice just how much the 123's drop in voltage when subjected to 2a loads. 3 x 123 = 6.75-6.9v at 2a. Ie, the 1499 that is rated for 7.2v is being under-driven in this particular scenario---and let me remind all, this is SilverFox's test of the single battery outside of a M*glite. Real world use, the voltage the bulb sees is likely somewhat lower than 6.75v, after the bulb lights up. This does not mean that given initial 'cold filament' start voltage in combination with very high temporary amp spike, that you cannot instaflash the bulb if you subject it to high enough voltage. When oh when, did I state that it would be fine for bwaites to run the 1499 off of three 3 x 123's without any chance of instaflashing? I merely point out that 123's drop in voltage significantly after subjecting to heavy loads. Sorry if I did not make that more clear, my bad.

What does litho123 mean by the 1499 does not like 'overdrive' when he states the 1499 runs just fine on 3 CR123's in series, but then it instaflashes on a parallel stack of 2p3s ? Umm, they both supply the same starting voltage of 9v. so in that sense the overdrive is the same? But the parallel stack either supplies more of an amperage spike to the cold filament, or does not drop as quickly in voltage when the cold filament is subjected to the high amps at startup. In other words, the same scenario with the WA1185's run off of the 1/2D AeroNiMH as compared to smaller RC style NiMH which cannot provide the same higher levels (which could be something as small as a 10% difference of between 10-15amps at startup). Both cells may be capable of temporary 20-30amp loads and constant 10-15 amps, but which pushes out a little more current and/or a little more voltage for that microsecond, when the cold filament is more prone to extreme stress of start up??? Enquiring minds want to know?

Oh damn, where is js and his explanation of what the Willie Hunts regulator does with soft-start (yeah I know I have linked to Doug S's contention that it provides little benefit...but that may be for bulbs that are not subject to the same tests of severe overdrive, which is where we love to run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif ) If the particular battery chemistry can supply very high amps for a very brief period (not talking about constant current drive) as in 10a at start up when the filament is cold, yes it is possible to instaflash with one cell chemistry and not the other.

Come on guys, just go get your 8AA-2D adapter, run common consumer AA NiMH's and try it...trust me, you'll like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif 6AA NiMH in the 8AA-2D adapter? or 6 in the EL 3AA-D adapter. But bwaites will say that udaman just measured only 0.5 ohms resistance in the 8AA-D adapters, so it should be the same as the EL 3AA-D adapters.
Argh! No it is not. Lets hook up an nice thick auto battery jumper cable to the 1499 to supply it with perfectly conditioned 8v gradually moving up to 9v DC from an expensive power supply. Now lets also run the 1499 off of the M*g switch from assembly from the D-cell or C-cell, or the M*gChr (which are all slightly different in design) supplied by the same power supply. Measure resistance in each case with brand new assemblies. Oh they are about the same low resistance as the Monster Cable, 1,000 strand copper 1/2in thick, $150 auto jumper cables. No instaflash on the M*g switch assemblies? Which will instaflash fastest? (hint, the Monster Cable will do it 1st, trust me...wisdom/experience).

The fact that there is little perceived difference in brightness with 7AA vs 8AA in that adapter, suggests either the cells cannot provide the 1.8a current (I need to order some new cells), or the adapter itself, is limiting current flows, not purely voltage. After all, I am testing 11v right at the PR base, putting the DMM test leads on the rim of the brass PR socket and one into the spring end cap positive contact. I suppose a little detective work is in order, drill a hole into my M*g2D, touch one test lead to the spring for the brass socket, to measure positive, and carefully touch other lead to PR retaining ring, to measure actual currents when the bulb is being driven inside the M*glite with the head removed. You guys can do the same for either single 123's or parallel stacks, use weaker 123's at the start, then move to new cells/parallel stacks. Hehe, we'll add all this useful information to Ginseng's website on M*g mod bulb/battery combinations, after I get my cleaning contact thread done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Geez, I'll even go down to Carley and get you a bunch of 1499 (unpotted of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) to replace any that instaflash if you have that happen with the same exact setup conditions I am using; not wasteful, environmentally unsound, throwaway CR123's...get with the program /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Honestly, I'd much rather read about js's development of the 'JA Special' in 2005; than some boring, brush your teeth, floss afterwards; cleaning thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ---what a snooze that will be.