SureFire Hurricane Batt Pack w/ Light

SureF1reFan

Newly Enlightened
Hey all...
First Time Posting... and the question is a tough one...
I have the question out to a few dealers, one that I saw from this forum. * Which I was Very happy to find others with the same virus that I have **Flashlights**.
Back to the Question.
I'd like to buy a SureFire Hurricane Batt Pack w/light. They don't seem to make them, my lovey wife tried to buy me one for Xmas, from two different places, They were just pulling our chain and *still having issues with them giving us our money back...
Anyone know where I can get one? (That they really have it in stock)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
You might try jcciv a member here at CPF. He is also Surefire parts on eBay.
Welcome to you as well hope you find one.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that Im not using. I was going to use it to hold SF123s, but it is full of holes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif wouldn't do too well in a hurricane.

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

We have one Hurricane lamp assembly in stock, if anyone needs it.

Dan

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
If you want to use this thing to hold your batteries... thats FINE.

If you want to use this thing to burn through 12 CR123s... DO NOT DO IT.

I can NOT think of a WORSE way to use 123 batteries. Wow, the thought of it even frustrates me.

SS

Topper

Flashaholic*
Slingshot ammo would be worse.I have 2 of them and I use them to hold new cells I doubt I ever use it as a light it self but no harm in being able to.
Topper

paulr

Flashaholic
Welcome, SureF1reFan and Boltgun. A little about the history of the hurricane light. It's not a practical light and was never intended to be one. In the old days (say up til a few years ago), CR123A cells at retail cost $7 each or more, and you couldn't buy them online for $1.25 like you can now. That of course made 123-powered flashlights quite expensive to operate. Surefire lights came with batteries included when you bought them new, and as a large reseller, Surefire was able to buy cells from its suppliers at quite low prices. But they had non-competition clauses in their contracts with the battery vendors, that forbid them from selling batteries except as part of a flashlight package. So they weren't allowed to give their customers a price break on batteries by selling batteries at a discount.

Hence the Hurricane light. A plastic box with twelve CR123A's inside, plus a 10-cent incandescent flashlight bulb and some contact clips, plus some half-winking marketing explanation about how this was, um, the perfect fallback illumination device in the event of an emergency. Of course it really was just a way of selling CR123's low (for the time) prices, while fulfilling the conditions of only selling batteries to go with a flashlight. They sold the Hurricane light with 12 batteries for somewhat less than you'd have to pay to just buy 12 batteries at the store. People of course bought the Hurricane lights just to use the batteries in other lights, which was what Surefire intended all along.

These days there's an open market in CR123A's and Surefire (and everyone else) can sell them without needing subterfuge. However, amazingly, the Hurricane light unintentionally created a market of users who think of it as an actual, practical product. While it will indeed work exactly as described, it's a long way from ideal for that purpose and other lights do a much better job.

You might try a Milky Candle from CPF'er Milkyspit, if you want a long-running emergency light that uses 123's. It's far more efficient than a Hurricane light.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire now has the $270 Hurricane Light. It runs for 40 hours on the FREE!! INCLUDED!!! 2 x SF123As!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

litho123

Enlightened
I only got the Hurricane light to use as a battery storage box. It was only an extra $5.00 with the purchase of a dozen batteries.
After reading the instructions, seeing the H-light in action, I realized "What a waste!"

I saw that I could use my Twintask 2L in 3 LED mode and get more light output for a much longer period of time than what the SF H-light could do. 28 hours vs. 8.2 hours on a pair of batteries - plus more usable illumination!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, 8 hours on two cells? I was just going to ask how long its runtime was spec'ed for, till you mentioned it.

I must say I prefer the *ahem* 6 level H-lamp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regardless, the hurricane lamp is now a collector's item and a convenient battery storage case, except that it's not waterproof. If I didn't have an SC1 and a very nice case from Amondotech... I bid $15 on an auction from a CPF'er and was immediately outbid by proxy. Oh well, I don't have more than $15 to spend, not after the other lamp cleaned out the wallet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too had an interest in one, at least saw the bulb on the surefire website. Sounded like a neat idea, assuming when it was made leds were still new technology, hince the regular bulb they run in it. The idea either to sell batteries or provide a way to suck old batteries dry sounds great either way.

supes

Enlightened
Interesting. I have one of these and I could never get it to work. I did what the manual told me to do and it just won't work. I have tried 2 lamps with it and countless used up batteries. Anyone got any tips? Thanks

Topper

Flashaholic*
The six middle spots with holes need the cells positive up the three on the top and three on the bottom negative up
lamp fits in hole over a positive spring goes over negative on top or bottom. Thats the best way I can explain it.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif oh yeah try new cells.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no interest in one knowing that cr123s are not that efficient compared to other cells if size is not an issue. Meaning I would be better off if making a light to use different cells. If I go through a bit of them for use as a reading light, I will get some holders or a tube and just add them in to power an emergency light.