T1 (micro) groovin'

bobspel

Newly Enlightened
T1 (micro) groovin\'

Just noticed this the other day on my T1 (forgive me if it has already been mentioned) that on the body there are tiny grooves on the face of the checking going across the body of the light. I only noticed this while viewing the T1 under a bright light. Further, I also noticed that the tailcap has no such micro grooves on the face of its checkering. I wonder why a different machining process for these two parts? Anyone know? Any guesses? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: T1 (micro) groovin\'

The checks on the tailcap are also a different size than the ones on the body.

bobspel

Newly Enlightened

I did not notice a size difference between the tailcap and body checkering until you mentioned it. I measured with a caliper and found that the three checks on the tail are 1 mm wider than three checks on the body of the T1. Wow, I'm becoming a T1 minor details geek! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why would they tool this up differently? I have been wondering this for a while.

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened

Seems like I remember curious knurling differences on different length parts back when I was still doing the machinist gig. There are a lot of ways/machines to do a lot of things. That said, it appears that a lot of the aluminum bodies/caps I've seen (and have) could be made on an acme screw machine. (Some of the more complicated might still have a ride or two in a CNC type machine, if not done there altogether.)

I love those little marks and imperfections in a brand new light!! I really did enjoy the craft...never got to make flashlight parts though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another observation made while fooling around with T1:
Hold magnifying lens in front of flashlight to focus. This will project the surface of the tiros more clearly.