Brinkmann Legend 2AA -Review

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I have been interested in this light for a while. Maybe because it is so similar to mini-mag, but has a tail cap switch, a desirable feature IMO. So I finally bought one ($10).

The light itself looks beautiful. It is more attractive than the mini-mag and has a nice feel to it. But this is where the praise ends.

The light output is disappointing; very yellow, dim and terrible beam quality. I replaced the bulb with a 2AA Nextstar bulb. This improved the color and output, but the beam quality is still very poor. It baffles me why Brinkmann would not put NextStar bulbs in all of their products. Even with the NextStar bulb, the output is a tiny bit less than a mini-mag. (the Legend may have even had new batteries). I don't know why this is, but I suspect that it may be due to reflector design or resistance in the switch. The mini-mag focuses much tighter.

The switch is also a disappointing feature. I love the momentary tailcap switches on my Streamlight Pro-polymers, so I was curious about a clickie. When the cap is pushed there is a very loud and sharp click. The same when turning it off. Give the cap a 1/8th turn and it is locked out. This is all well and good, but after about 100 cycles there were problems. The clickie would sometimes lock when the button was pushed, thus preventing the light from turning one. Eventually it seized up altogether. It was useless. I was preparing to return it when all of a sudden it stated working again. I think all of the verbal threats actually worked. Now it seems to be working as designed. There is no momentary position in the switch. IT is either clicked on or clicked off. I am very interested in the Surefire version of the clickie. I don't like this one.

Currently, the problem is in the contacts of the switch. The light is constantly flickering, and often goes out. About 1 in 10 times it doesn't come on at all.

It doesn't fit in mini-mag holster. At least the Acu-mold one that I have. I was hoping that it would. It is a bit too long and too wide. Mini-mag is a standard when it comes to accessories. It did come with is own holster, but Brinkmann holster has 4" belt loop. This makes loose on my belt…I don't like this. The rubber grip also snags on pocket linings and the holster.

This is probably nit picking, but the threads on the bezel are too fine. To go from wide beam to tight beam requires 1.5 turns. The mini-mag requires only .75 turns. One plus for the Brinkmann is the bezel can be left in any position since the on/off is independent of the bezel position. Whereas the mini-mag must be returned to max flood to be turned off.

FYI: Tail cap is incompatible with a mini-mag.

The Brinkmann does not have a spare bulb, or a place to store one. Another point in the mini-mag's corner.

With the exception of the temporally seizing of the tailcap and the flickering and the occasional loss of light this is not a bad flashlight. But it is defiantly inferior to the mini-mag. I think I will keep it around just because it looks so good.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the same vein - if anyone wants to post their review on my website, I'm game. You'll get all the credit, but I need photos - 640x480 max, 320x240 min - Prefer packaging, light w/scale (ruler), bezel, beam, and the details on the information list for each light. Just look at one of my reviews.

Up to you guys. Just e-mail me.

I'll do all the formating and post it, you supply the content and rating. If you want, I can create a separate "independent reviews" section.

Note (just in case we have doubting Thomases) that I receive no revenue from the site - it's just there for CPF member's reference.

Coherence

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> has a tail cap switch, a desirable feature IMO <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the main reason I bought one, I hate having to use two hands to turn on a flashlight, and then adjust it everytime like the Mini Maglite.

I agree that the stock bulb is yellow and somewhat dim so I pulled out the bulb and reflector and replaced it with a white Luxeon Star LED.

It is brighter and whiter, I even hid some Alien Skin behind the LS lens so it glows eerily after use
smile.gif

I haven't had any problems with the switch yet.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Coherence and Videocal!

That stuff is really cool, and great for a variety of purposes. Will definitely be getting some! Is this stuff available in a paint form? Can you imagine your house or car glowing like that?
grin.gif
Thanks for the tip.
smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flashfan:

Is this stuff available in a paint form?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Source for the most powerful mix is www.extremeglow.com
-Feel free to Email me if you ever need advice as to mixing/use.
cool.gif

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I don't have a digital camera or a scanner, so pictures a kinda hard to come by. As far as I'm conserned, anything I post on CPF or SFDB is public domain. Take it if you like. Feel free to correct gramatical and spelling mistakes.

Is the Arc LS conversion brighter than the NextStar? Is the run time longer?

Coherence

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Is the Arc LS conversion brighter than the NextStar?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have the NextStar bulb, so I don't know.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Is the run time longer?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am using Lithium AA's, Silviron was kind enough to sacrifice a couple of cells and posted the results on this thread.

Coherence

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Did you fit the whole Lens assembly in the Lengend flashlight <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it fits just fine (the LS light pattern is not very useful without the lens!).

Mike

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coherence:
I agree that the stock bulb is yellow and somewhat dim so I pulled out the bulb and reflector and replaced it with a white Luxeon Star LED.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coherence - Did you fit the whole Lens assembly in the Lengend flashlight, or "just" replace the bulb with the LED.

I have one of these lights also, and haven't had any problem with it.

Thanks.