Best Bang for the buck flashlight >>>>

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
In you opinion what is the flashlight that you have or seen that gives the most for the money ??? I will start by saying that I nominate the Brinkmann Maxfire LX, which I bought from Walmart for $20, very bright approx. 50-60 lumens, nice throw, pretty sturdy design, nice features, etc. Like to see what other people like and would nominate. God Bless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Countycomm slide switch coin lights, $1 each. Eveready 2D household light, also around $1, or waterproof halogen version about $5. Cheap SLA-powered rechargeable spotlight, around $10-15. Between those three lights just about every flashlight need is covered.

gorlank

Enlightened
I have to nominate the Nuwai QIII, superb light for $40.00 or so. Small, bright and user friendly!

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I nominate the PT-40. It's waterproof, compact, bright, durable body, uses cheap batteries, uses a common pr-type bulb, and is backed with a lifetime warranty.

capnal

Enlightened
Best bang?
Well, this year, I was really impressed by the Maxfire as well. ALong with that, I would say the Princeton Tec Rage. 4xAAA, waterproof, made in USA, lifetime warranty, oh, yeah, and it was about $11.00 bucks. Very good value.

I also have to say that the Dorcy family of lED prodcuts. I continue to speak the praises of the 1xAAA, single LED as well the 1 watt Luxeon 3xAAA. At about 25 bucks, this is a great (perhaps best?) 1 watt light.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight TT2L.

No contest!!

Low output long running LED's which are bright enough to work with, incandescent which is bright enough to do the rest. Less than $40.00 everywhere, on sale for less than $30.00 sometimes.

Bill

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about my 100 lumen light for <$10?

wellllll, i purchased a Dorcy gel light (gel-bright?) 2xaa ($4).
hogged out the little fins in the bat tube...slipped in 3x123's (~$3.75)and a kpr112 (~$2)...voila! 100 lumens (roughly), and a VERY nice beam to boot.
relatively small, too!

heh, heh, heh...i really need to learn to post some pics.

Bob

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Larry 123 light was my best bang for the buck light. It might have been expensive but it was a better bargain to me than a bargain light could ever be. It is the most carried most used light that I own. It is the best there is the best there will ever be. Ok Ok, I got a little carried away there.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
Maxfire LX
Nuwai Q111
UKE eled 4AA
Streamlight Keymate (very bright and small...my wife stole mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sharper image 1 Watt I feel is a very good value about $20, bright, waterproof, shock proof, and pretty indestructible. Nice lanyard to. And if you want a pocket clip, just take one from your mad and bend it a tiny bit. Perfect fit.

davidra

Enlightened
Please notice nobody's listed any SF lights yet...and I sure won't be the first, although a G2 could come close. The CC slidelight LED's should be up there, and I also agree with the SL TT 2L, and the QIII. Although it's not a production light, a 2C Mag 3X123 with GH24 bulb and UCL at about $25 is by far the best light for the money that I have.

Ratso

Enlightened
The Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED could quite possibly be the most versatile around the house light ever, not to mention that at $20 at Brightguy, its a steal!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The entire Streamlight Twin Task line, 1L, 2L, 3AA, 3C, and 2D (although that's one I don't own) are incredibly usefull lights!

But the one I won't take money for is the Lambda 3W drop in on my belt!!!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best bang for the buck usually comes from transient sales situations which don't stay around long. Past examples include the the $4.83 PT Attitudes (free shipping) at the REI outlet store and the 1W 1 CR123 Sharper Image Luxeon Lights for $20 with coupon (sale ends today). Best permanent price is probably the $6 Dorcy 1AAA light at Walmart, when they are in stock. If you're a gambler and can get to a Costco, their 1W 2AA Luxeon lights at $14 (i.e. 2 for $28) are a great deal if you get a good one (maybe a 2 out of 3 chance) and still not bad if you only get a so-so one (other 1/3 chance). They are easy to mod and upgrade.

Batterystation has CPF and closeout specials which bear watching. I'd consider their Gerber LX3.0 for $40 if I hadn't already bought 2 of their Gerber LX1.0's when they were $22 each.

Happy new year.

Longbow

Enlightened
At $35 the Inova T1 is quite nice, many features, and warranteed for life. If I couldn't replace it, I wouldn't take $150 for mine.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... Not to get hung up on semantics, but when looking at actual performance per cost, it's usually very difficult to overcome the best dirt cheap products. Like paulr said, the $1 slide keychain lights are probably tops but not many would lust after one...

I really like the 2L Twin Task if I'm not personally carrying it. Great versatility, good floow with LEDs, good runtime with LEDs and I paid $20 for my first one.

My $50 LED_ASAP modded ARC AAA could be my best value light. I carry it every day, it is serves its purpose very well and if I decided to sell it, I'm sure I could make a profit.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paulr made good suggestions but cratz2 has a point in that many of us won't, regularly, be carrying an SLA lantern or be relying on a 20/$20 LED. My stock Arc AAA is on me more that any other light. A G2, E2e, Scorpion, or Nuwai QIII often reside on my belt - but not always.

An Inova MicroLight for $4 - $6 (online) and the Arc AAA are almost always with me, so...that's my bangin' for a bargain.

Happy New York, everybody!

georget98

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
how about my 100 lumen light for <$10?

wellllll, i purchased a Dorcy gel light (gel-bright?) 2xaa ($4).
hogged out the little fins in the bat tube...slipped in 3x123's (~$3.75)and a kpr112 (~$2)...voila! 100 lumens (roughly), and a VERY nice beam to boot.
relatively small, too!

heh, heh, heh...i really need to learn to post some pics.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]
I did that with a 49 cent 2xAA light last year, but last month I actually had to use it (as opposed to just admiring how bright it is). After about 3 minutes the silvered plastic reflector had melted.

My votes: 1-AAA Dorcey LED, PT Blast, and the Brinkmann MaxFire-LX.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of mine, the Dorcy 1xAAA.
The performance leaves some to desire but I still find wide use for the Mag 2xAA. At ~$6 it still is a good value and durable.