World's Dumbest Question

daBear

Enlightened
World\'s Dumbest Question

I sure hate to ask this, but since y'all don't know me I am going to go ahead anyway. Just got my first high powered light about an hour ago which is a Pila GL3R. It has a xeon bulb in one end and a white LED in the other. There is no way to turn the front Bezel or the rear tail cap, push pull or holler and make the LED light up. The constant on, momentary on, etc work fine for the main xeon light. But I can not for the life of me make the LED fire up. What am I doing wrong??

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: World\'s Dumbest Question

The Pila GL3R, which I have, turns the leds constant on when you twist the led tailcap. Further twisting turns the headlamp on and the leds off. If yours doesn't turn on, make sure the batteries are charged and facing the correct direction (positive towards the leds). If this doesn't help, check the headlamp filament if possible. From what I remember, if the headlamp bulb is out, the whole light is out because the leds require a working headlamp to make full electical circuit.

No problem. Welcome to CPF and please hang with us.

daBear

Enlightened

That was it. I had the (-) towared the LED. Thanks! Phaserburn.

By the way I am impressed with this light.

Topper

Flashaholic*

OK you sucked me in, I thought I was going to read the Worlds Dumbest Question instead I get a replay of me when I got my first Pila light (GL4) never dawned on me to put the batts in backwards I had to PM Jon to get help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh please. That's not the world's dumbest question. The dumbest question (IMHO) is "Why is it like that?"

Religious answer: "Because God made it so."
Army Sergeant answer: "Because *I* made it so."
Extremely pissed off sargeant: "Because I'm God to you, $#*()#@!ING UNDERSTAND?!??!?!?!"

And a friend's answer: "Just to **** you off." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Don't worry. Your question is a perfectly legitimate, intelligent one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

How bright are the leds? Ive had an interest in one, but never can get an idea of how bright the leds are. Did you get the white one? How bright are they compaired to what ever led light you have?

daBear

Enlightened

Well I ordered the White LED and the invoice says White LED, but it burns RED. I am going to talk with Flavio with BugOutUSA (where I got the light) about a white one which I wanted in the first place. Brite wise is is pretty darn bright, but I have nothing to compare that with other than a couple of white mag lights. I would say the LED is equal to a 2AA mini mag.

The red has no use to me as it washes out maps that are not specifically red light readable, if you want a color, blue would work better. But I wanted white.

I was an Army Aviator for 18 years and we used red lights for everything up until about 10 years ago when they figured out blue-green worked much better and you did not have to have special maps etc.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Milkyspit does a nice white led tailcap mod relatively inexpensively. Replaces the stock leds with genuine Nichia ones; a nice upgrade you'll easily see. I had him change mine, and am quite glad I did. Tell him Phaser sent ya.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

cobb: There is a Pila GL passaround going on right now and you may be able to get it in a few weeks. look up the thread if you want to see for yourself, first hand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, will look for it. Sure would beat carrying several lights around and have several boxes of batteries on hand.

rwolff

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]

From what I remember, if the headlamp bulb is out, the whole light is out because the leds require a working headlamp to make full electical circuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? Didn't they realize that an incandescent bulb will fail, and that a design like this negates one of the key benefits of a dual-light flashlight, namely the LED being a "limp home" (not nearly as bright, but far more reliable) backup?

litho123

Enlightened

Hi Cobb -

I had the passaround light and thought that the Twintask 2L 3LED setting was a tad better for me to see with than the LEDs of the Pila GL3R.

The GL3R is a terrific light in all other respects.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Leads me to ask, whats a Pila GL3R? Is it anywhere like a 2v 6 chip light? THat would be cool. I could carry one than two lights.

I think the pass around or sample kit is a great idea. I am sure those lights are nice as well as the home made ones, but I have quite a few lights Ive bought sight unseen and hate to spring hundreds of bucks than tens for a light that maybe middle of the road, like most of the led lights I have bought from ccrane or the light section of walmart.

[ QUOTE ]
litho123 said:
Hi Cobb -

I had the passaround light and thought that the Twintask 2L 3LED setting was a tad better for me to see with than the LEDs of the Pila GL3R.

The GL3R is a terrific light in all other respects.

[/ QUOTE ]

daBear

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Leads me to ask, whats a Pila GL3R? Is it anywhere like a 2v 6 chip light? That would be cool. I could carry one than two lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am just a new guy and don't have experience with a lot of lights, but the Pila GL3R is a fine one. The main lamp is a 9v xenon that puts out a wall of light with a good hot spot that blends well with the spill. That leads to a criticism that the light has no hot spot, but it really does. The LED's on the other end give off a good amount of light but they are not made to be the main light. I highly recommend you take a hard look at the Pila.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read through that thread. Looked like the red leds were claimed to be the brightest. I hate to waste the postage and time of others if the leds are middle of the road for a power failure than a reading light in a well lit room. I think my lighting needs are mainly white led for reading. I have the p61 lamp in my lengend xl light which has worked fine for me, but I still have the same set of batteries in there since I first joined this board and am put of by the pilas as I like knowing my light will be ready to go for the next 9 years and not having to charge it weekly regardless of use to keep it topped off.