surefire edc?

handlebar

Newly Enlightened
happy new year.
I am a newby here just wondering what a good light self defense, edc setup would be. I like the e2 series surefires, but have no experience with quality lights.
any super newby suggestions would be very helpfull.

thanks handlebar.

unaryunix

Newly Enlightened
Hi, handlebar,
e2 is almost ideal for edc. The beam quality is great, with a very nice balance between spill and hotspot.
For the self defense part, my experince is that it is sufficient to temporarily blind an opponent, but not enough to cause the disorientation like the more powerful ones. This is why I always suggest a pepper spray for second strike;-)

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E2e / E2O / E2D are all nice. They also work well with the new KL1 LED head.

If you want a rechargeable try the Streamlight Strion. It is a little longer and thicker than the Surefire E series but uses a rechargable Lithium Ion Battery and has a tighter longer throwing beam.

If you have some bucks go to McGizmo's forum and check out the Aleph Series LED lights. Very bright!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome and Happy New York, handlebar.

The E2 has got to be one the the premiere CPF recommended lights to own. You won't go wrong with an E2e. Do it.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cant really go wrong with something in the surefire 'E' seris. An e2e is a great starting out light, Because then you can go to an L4, an E2D, an E2O or an E2e with a KL1, or use the E1e to make a TW4, or a KL1 on an E1e.

Both are worth the $$$ IMHO.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you passed over the Surefire A2. This is a very nice light that is brighter than the e2e and offers regulated light for a beam that is consistently white through the life of the batts. Not to mention the extremely useful 3 led flood light setting for close up work. The only drawbacks are the cost of the light and although the bulb is reported to be extremely durable (and treated right by the electronics of the light) it is also pricey at around 22$. This light is a great edc although it is a little larger than the e2e.

kev1-1

Enlightened
All the lights mentioned are great lights. The A2 is perhaps a little large for EDC in your pocket..but that is personal preference as to what you find acceptable.

The L4 is great for flood lighting and is nice and compact. Plus you don't have to worry about the bulb going. Plus it is regulated!

The E2e is pretty much the same size as the L4, but projects its beam alot further. However, it is neither regulated nor LED.

The E1e is a real small option, though the least bright. Although it would still destroy any M*g AA!!

The E1e/E2e with a KL1 LED bezel replacment is another possiblity.

handlebar

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the help everyone.
what are some good place to buy surefires online?

thanks.