Glow powder suggestions

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Hello all. Would anyone be able to offer suggestions on how to apply glow powder? I was thinking : buy some clear nail polish, mix powder in and apply with the brush in the bottle. I wanted to be sure this would work before I used up the powder. Maybe i'll just try it and see how it works.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Thanks much for your time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Do a search on glowpowder and nail polish and you should find all you need to know.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
All depends what you are putting it on, and what effect you want. Hail polish is OK, but you will need several layers, and the powder seddled quickly, and will turn into a clump in the bottom. 'Dusting' is better, put down a layer of polish and cover with powder, let dry, shake off, clear coat. I prefer a thicker medium, like hot glue or 2 part epoxy.
What effect are you going for?
Jeff

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I need to use my glow powder I carry it around in my pocket for a while. The heat and jostling quickly loosens up the glow powder again. Copious amounts of glow powder should be added to get the most impressive effect.

jaids

Enlightened
Could someone post a picture of 1/4 oz of glowpowder so that I know how much to get?
Thanks,
Jay

Ctechlite

Enlightened
I am trying to glow powder the pedestal of an O-sink heatsink.
I wish I could post a pic, but atm I don't have a host (that I know how to use anyway) for them.
Thanks for the help, I found some old posts with glow powder instructions...I searched before just forgot to change the search time.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
1/4 oz glowpowder is about a tablespoonful. You will need about this much to add to your first bottle of polish. The thicker you mix it, the better the results. I found that painting below the led doesn't work well. Almost all of the light is projected away from the led. Better to paint something in the photon path, like the bezel.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I gotta tell ya - I've tried glow powder in nail polish and I find it nowhere near as easy to use as mixing it with some slower setting epoxy. In my experience, I found the nail polish to set way too fast. It's easier to manipulate and get a very smooth and even finished product with the epoxy.

Just my $.02

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you use 1 part epoxy or 2? Any particular brand? The nice thing about the nail polish is the small bottle and brush combo are convenient. So if epoxy is available in a small bottle with a brush, that would help.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What sucks about nail polish is that it comes off if you get solvent on it. Use two part epoxy.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never really use my flashlights around solvents, so that's not a problem for me. I assume you mix your glow powder in both parts of the epoxy. Any preference of brands?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use devcon two ton. I mix the epoxy and then add as much glow powder as I can. The more you add, the brighter is glows.

I can understand that you don't use your light around solvents, but a spill from some lantern fuel while camping or getting gas on it while working on a car will eat that nail polish right off.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
Do you use 1 part epoxy or 2? Any particular brand? The nice thing about the nail polish is the small bottle and brush combo are convenient. So if epoxy is available in a small bottle with a brush, that would help.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you can afford $11.00, you can get an excellent (absolute brightest I've ever seen) premixed epoxy based weatherproof glow paint. It comes in a small bottle w/brush-ready to go....
No mixing!
A white base coat and 4-5 thin coats of the glow paint will give you the maximum brightness.
At: www.glowinc.com -These people are actually the manufacturers of the paint mix, -not just dealers.

Tony-
There is also an excellent tough overcoat that does not yellow with age, and does not filter out any UV either. After it dries, even gasoline won't touch it.
-I do think that I will try out your epoxy method sometime though....

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI - I bought the brightest bottle of paint that glowinc has and it sits next to my powder that I ordered from a thread here somewhere about a month back. When I hit them both with some photons, they glow identically and for the same duration. Maybe the powder might not glow as well when you end up mixing it with different things to apply with, I'm not sure.

I've yet to try any in the reflector areas of my fave lights. Afraid to hinder the performance. So, I'm not sure where else to apply it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a good write up on glowpowder.

Hope it helps.
mut

Skylighter

Enlightened
The glow brightness is usually not much effected by the medium. So you can use whatever medium fits your needs. The only exceptions are:

Mediums that contain water.
Mediums that contain UV filters.
Mediums that contain color pigment.

These attributes have varying effects on the powders. Want to see how much a medium effects the glow. Just mix a small amount, let it dry and compare it to the raw powder.

For a clear coat, use Krylon Crystal Clear spray paint.

Danny Clark
Glow Inc.
www.glowinc.com

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a question for all of those who use epoxy. How do you keep it from running all over the place, especially when you do it in a groove of a flashlight around the body?

The epoxy ones look the brightest from what I've seen on here.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep it moving, the 5 min stuff sets up pretty quick. Also, if you botch it up, the hardened epoxy can be 'cut' with a knife and peeled off.
Jeff

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahh thanks. EDIT: Best would be mix powder into each part of epoxy, then mix the 2 parts together, so it doesn't harden on you while your're stirring in the powder.

Latest posts