Energizer Head lamp

junior

Enlightened
hello all, i was given a gift cert for Christmas and had to use some of the monies for my store. I had some monies left over and bought my first head lamp, the Energizer head lamp.

It is not too bad and it will have to do untill the money situation gets better and then it will be a back up.

Who has one and what has been your take on the energizer head lamp?

mrme

Enlightened
Energizer sells quite a few headlamps. The only headlamp they make I have any interest in is their small LED 3AAA headlamp. It appears to be one of the best headlamp values out there.

I gave a friend a pair of the cheap energizer LED headlamps, which had the tilt as just about every respectable headlamp on the market has. He also recieved a pair of Petzl Tikkas, which don't tilt. He and his new wife went to Tibet on their honeymoon. He reported that the Petzls were terrible and gave them away, but the really liked the Energizer ones.

This probably doesn't represent the cpf tendancy to spend uneccisary ammounts of money, but I really like Energizer flashlight. I have almost always been pleased with them. Most of my favorites flashlights are just cheap Energizer flashlights.

However, I demand more from a headlamp than a flashlight and would never even consider buying or using any of their incan headlamps.

junior

Enlightened
The lamp i bought did in fact have the 2white leds with some sort of optic and 1 red led. It also has a tilt head too. Like i said, it is my first headlamp. I will be using in the mountains real soon and will get post my results.

mrme

Enlightened
Relaively low output lights like that work very well in the mountains. They do not work well in crowded campgrounds where other peoples' lights give off terrible glare.

Oh, and if you have a full moon, small lights like that only hurt your night vision and reduce visibilty. After your play time, leave it put away.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of those from target. Its not bad. I use between the red and white led. Compared to my 6 chip and xpg its fairly dim. Not to mention most led lights I own from the flashlight section of walmart are rather dim compared to those two. My dad uses my head lamp for lots of stuff. Think he likes it more than I do. In a power failure its great as its dim enough not to blind you or cause you to light up your room too much.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This appears to me to be the cheapest and best headlamps around. The two white leds are focused to give it throw, and the single red led in the center is just right for times you want to preserve your night vision. I also like the simple slide switch as compared to models that require several button pushes to get the setting right or turn off the unit. The headband also has that little plastic piece (whatever you call it)that takes up slack so you don't have any strap hanging loose. My only complaints are: 1. The headband isn't long enough and I have to use the maximum setting. 2. It makes my forehead sweat on hikes, but I guess any unit would unless it was really small.

junior

Enlightened
Hey lowbat, im from los angeles, cali and have family and friends in Oxnarnd, ventura and all about your area.

Anyhow, welcome to CPF and enjoy. It seems that energizer headlamp is a best bang for your buck light.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared to the one I bought from the ccrane company, its way better, head band wise. I hada head lamp from colemans, it was way better, but it used a regular bulb and the bulb mounted vertically than the other way, so you would need to make a new reflector for an led or get an led at a rigth angle to the socket.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I have that light. I like it a lot. It's bright enough for when Gypsy and I take the garbage to the curb on thursday nights. I keep it as an earthquake emergency light. It's my first headlamp and I got it at Target for about $12 if I remember. Let me put it on the lux meter... Ok, I'm getting 34 lux @ 1-meter.

Oh, and here's a picture of it. I let gypsy wear it every now and then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
CIMG1016.JPG

avusblue

Enlightened
I agree with everyone else's kudos for this inexpensive little headlamp. It's definitely worth the money. I also have a PT Aurora headlamp and it is better (multi-level brightness is nice), but not 3x the price better. Go for it, you may find it's all the headlamp you want or need.

Cheers,

Dave

paulr

Flashaholic
I had one of the Energizers and it was ok but I wasn't crazy about it. I gave it away after getting a PT Aurora.

I felt that the Energizer's beam was way too narrow. I fixed that with a piece of frosted scotch tape over the LED)'s but that was kind of tacky. It's also not waterproof.

I got my Aurora on closeout for about the same price as the Energizer light, but even normally, they're just a few bucks more if you shop around.

The Energizer red led is definitely a cool idea, though I didn't use it much. A red Photon II fulfills my occasional need for a red led light.